PDA

View Full Version : Bug Out Bags!

Julie
02-18-2008, 08:01 PM
As I watch the natural disasters happening, I am more convinced that if we prepare ahead of time we would be so much better off. This is a list that I compiled several years ago. - Julie

It doesn't matter what the reason; fire, flood, armed insurrection or alien invasion. If you had five minutes to "get out of Dodge", what would you grab? Or would you be paralyzed trying to figure out what you needed as they dragged you out the door? The solution is to prepare a bug-out bag before the need arises.

A bug-out bag is a pre-packed kit (minus the food and water) that you can grab on your way out the door in the event of an emergency. It is basically a small self-contained survival kit. Ideally the contents would allow you to leave the area and travel in relative health if the situation demanded. It is assumed that you will be dressed properly before you leave depending on your climate and weather conditions. Don't forget to pack the food inside before you leave.

Stored in a black nylon day pack - Approximate weight 20 pounds

Food

6 Granola Bars (2.5 oz each)
16 oz. Beef Jerky
32 oz. Water in plastic bottle

Clothing

3 Pairs Spare Socks
3 Pairs Underwear
Short Pants
3 T-Shirts
2 Bandanas
Nylon Rain Poncho
Space Blanket

Fire Tools

2 Butane Lighters
Waterproof Matches
Magnesium Firestarter
Small box of Birthday Candles
2 Votive Candles

Utensils

Stainless Steel 16 oz. Cup
Stainless Steel Fork-Knife-Spoon set
Hunting Knife
Small Sharpening Stone
Water Filter
Water Purification Tablets

Tools

Mini-Mag Flashlight with 2 spare batteries
Compass
Leatherman (or other multi-purpose tool)
Maps (local & regional)
100 feet Nylon Parachute Cord
10 feet bailing wire
12 assorted Zip Ties
Hacksaw Blade (wrap end in duct tape for handle)

Fishing Kit (inside a 35mm Film Can)

50 feet 20 lb. Fishing Line
12 Long-Shank Fish Hooks
2 Scented Rubber Worms
12 Split Sinkers

Medical Kit

Prescription Glass
Sunglasses (or clip-ons)
Misc. Adhesive Bandages
Ace-style Bandage
Antibiotic Ointment
Waterless Hand Sterilizer
Aspirin / Ibuprofen
Iodine
Alcohol Wipes
Needle & Thread

Toilet Kit

Toothbrush
Toothpaste
Dental Floss
Comb
Soap
Nail Clippers
2 Disposable Razors

Documents (copies - keep originals in a safe place)

Driver's License
Passport
Vehicle Titles & Registration
Insurance Papers (Home, Vehicle, & Health)
Social Security Cards
Photos of Household Inventory
Medical Records / Immunizations
Prescriptions
Deeds
Birth / Marriage / Death Certificates
Divorce Papers
Bank / Credit Card Account Numbers
Address Book
Will

Miscellaneous

$50.00 Cash (2 tens, 4 fives, 10 singles)
$10.00 Small Change
12 Assorted Plastic Bags (Ziploc)
Small AM/FM Radio & Extra Battery
Small .22 Rifle and Pistol
100 Rounds of .22 Ammo

Use various sizes of plastic bags to separate contents. Make sure you pack your bag so as not to allow rattles or other noise when carrying.

Pack one bag per family member. Certain items need not be duplicated (firearms, documents, medical supplies). For small children, be sure to include play items - small toys, coloring books & crayons, etc. For infants, add diapers, baby wipes, canned formula, etc.

The neat thing about a Bug Out Bag (BOB) is that it tends to almost become a hobby - refining and tweaking until it 's just right. I think that one of the most important parts of a BOB list is the Assumptions. You've got to make some basic assumptions about how it might be used and then go from there.

I also include in my list several "to do" lists so I'm less likely to forget something in the rush. In 1998, wildfires threatened to force an evacuation here, and I saw first hand how bad things can get when you don't have a check list to follow. (some of the "to do" lists are left off of this since they aren't relevant to most folks).

Following is my own list. This isn't a "wish list", this is how it's packed right now sitting in the closet or in the back of the 4x4, depending on where I am. (Some of the formatting got lost when copying it here, but each section has a heading)

Objectives and assumptions
1.Maintain a reasonable standard of living in good health and hygiene for 72 hours with no other resources while traveling on foot.
2.Individual supply of water (2 quarts) will need to be supplemented beyond 24 hours.
3.Assume a 15 minute warning
4.Vehicle transportation likely, but prepare for foot or bicycle travel
5.Kit is organized so that critical items are carried on the web belt, primary items are carried in the backpack, and secondary (backup, additional supplies, and less-essential) items are carried in a duffel bag stowed in a vehicle. If weight, vehicle abandonment, or other factors mean that something must be left behind, the critical items are still carried.

Individual web belt kit (Critical items)
Web belt with butt pack and accessories

Food, Water, and Fire
Canteen, 1 quart, Qty. 2, filled
MRE, Qty. 3
Matches
Magnesium fire starter
Candle, small tea candle with matches, Qty. 2
P-38 can opener

Hygiene and Safety
First aid kit, basic minimum
Toilet paper
KI tablets, Qty. 1 bottle, 14 ea.

Clothing and Shelter
Poncho, OD vinyl
Socks, 2 pair
Bandana
Camouflage net
Mosquito head net

Tools and Misc.
Compass
550 parachute cord
Flashlight, Sure-Fire 6P
Utility knife
Whistle

Normal carry items
Pocket knife
Photon Micro-light on key ring
Gerber Covert folding lock-blade
S&W 640 (.357 mag.) with 5 rounds
15 spare rounds of ammo in speed loaders
CCW permit

Individual kit, standard pack (Primary items)
Backpack

Food, Water, and Fire
MRE, Qty. 6
Water purifier
Water bag (for gathering water for purifier)
Aluminum pot with lid
P-38 can opener
Small "tea candle", Qty. 2
Matches, waterproof and book
Magnesium fire starter
Trioxane stove with 3 fuel bars

Hygiene and Safety
Toilet paper
Soap
Wash cloth
Towel
Toothbrush
Toothpaste
Deodorant
Comb
First aid kit, basic minimum

Clothing and Shelter
Leather work gloves
Insect netting
Bandanas, 1 red, 1 blue
Scarf, brown, 6'
Change of underwear
Sleeping mat
Tarp, OD aluminized plastic
Hammock, net

Tools and Misc.
Compass
Note pad
Pencil
Earplugs
Insect repellant
Sewing kit
550 parachute cord
Cable ties, Qty. 3
Marker ribbon
Bible, pocket-size

Individual Kit, (Pack on warning)
Change of underwear
Appropriate clothing worn, including hat, sturdy shoes or boots
Sleeping bag or blanket appropriate to season (Strap to backpack)
Change of clothing appropriate to situation (roll up in sleeping bag)
Cash, ID, etc. (deep concealment plus decoy wallet)
List of phone numbers and email addresses
Pocket knife
Buck Tool (worn on belt)
Pocket-sized binoculars (inside backpack or in vest pocket)
Folding knife (Gerber Covert)
Vest, multi-pocket
FRS radios (2) with holsters and ear phones
FRS radio kit (2 sets of AA batteries and accessories for each radio)
Sure-Fire flashlight

Duffel bag kit (Secondary items, pre-packed)
Mess kit
Fork, spoon, and cup
Large heavy gauge trash bags, Qty. 2
Caffeine pills, Extra-Strength Excedrin, Benadryl, Excedrin PM
Toilet paper, Qty. 2 rolls

Duffel bag kit (Secondary items, pack on warning)
Snacks, trail mix
Powdered drink mix
Radio, 2 meter HT with 12VDC charger, spare battery, and collapsible antenna
Maps (in vehicle)

Vehicle Kit (Pack on warning)
Water containers, 6-gallon, filled, as many as possible
Box(es) of MREs
First aid kit, complete (kept in vehicle)
Normal vehicle kit (maps, tools, tow strap, jumper cables, rope, shovel, etc.)
Antenna, magnetic-mount, 2 meter with adapter for HT

Optional Items as conditions warrant
Sidearm(s) and ammo (deep concealment)
Radiological kit

15 Minute Warning List
Fill canteens
Drink fill of water
Add "Pack on warning" items
Load vehicle
Top off fuel tank with storage fuel.
Set dosimeters to zero if situation warrants

Extended Warning List
Data files backup CD in safe (or seal and bury)
Eat full meal
Grab any fresh food to eat immediately
Grab disposable water bottle(s) from freezer
Add bicycle with carrier (check tire pressure)

You have hit on one of my favorite subjects. If I sound like I am bragging, I AM! Because I am proud of what I have accomplished with my BOB...It's a lot of work, but it is fun as hell and I love reading what other people have in their BOB's. I get good ideas and good suggestions. I went through mine again and in no particular order, let me tell you what I have in it.....(If you have any comments, let me know..I may be proud of it, but if I can improve it, all the better)

MEDIUM ALICE PACK
Surgical Kit
Flask of "Jack" (Multi-purpose)
First Aid Kit
Water Filtration Kit
Extra Filter
Socks x2
Balaclava
Compass
Sewing Kit
Bandana, OD, Cotton x4
USGI Mess Kit
Arctic Face Mask (I live in Az, but you never know)
Undies x2
MRE Condiments and snacks
USGI Foot Powder
Combat Boots
MRE Sides x3
MRE Entree's x3
Cyalume Light Sticks x6
Space Blanket
Hexamine Heat Tabs x5 Tubes
Kleenex
TP
Hotel size shampoo
Matches
Hook Sharpener (Sharpens knives also)
Ear Plugs
Few Sheets Paper Towels
Combo Bug Repellant/SPF 30 Lotion
Fishing Kit
Condom's (Multi-Purpose...Water collection, cover rifle barrel, etc)
Bar of Hotel Soap
Tube of Orajel (Multi-Purpose)
Rubber Gloves
P38 Can Opener x2
BDU Pants
T-Shirts x2

WEB GEAR
1 Quart Canteen x2
Magazine Pouch (3 mags of .223) (Bandoleer over chest)
Magazine Pouch (2 mags of .40)
Glock Model 22
Compass and Compress(On suspenders)
Small Angle Flashlight (On suspenders)
Kabar (On suspenders)
Small Binoculars
USGI Camo Poncho
50 Rounds .40
20 Rounds .223 API
Bug/Sun Lotion
MRE Condiments/Snacks
Fishing Kit
Condoms
Whistle
Tooth Paste/Brush
Magnesium Fire Starter
Iodine
Nail Clippers
P38
Trash Bags
Cyalume Light Sticks x6
TP
Bandana, OD, Cotton
Socks x3
Gloves
Ear plugs
25' 550 Cord
Small Snare
Large Snare
Gerber Multi-Tool
Small Civilian Poncho
Boonie Hat
Gun Oil
Space Blanket
Roll Elec Tape
Camo Face Paint
Weapon Cleaning Kit
Pre Soaked Cleaning Patches
1st Aid Kit
MRE Entree's x3
$10 in 90% Silver US Coins
Small Bible
Pen/Pad
Topo Map

This sounds like a lot of stuff, but most of it is compact and it all fits with room to spare except in my buttpack on my web belt..It's pretty full....I can always accessorize as needed as well. (ie: Comm gear or I have an NBC Bag filled with Gas Mask, decon kit, chem paper, etc) that can be tucked under my ALICE Pack. I will also be adding M8HC or M18 smokers to my suspenders on my way out the door too..I just keep them in my safe right now....I also have PASGT Helmet and Vest...Mucho gear..Especially if you have to tote it in 110' weather here in Az along with a rifle...This is why much of the gear in my ALICE pack is doubled in my buttpack so I can dump the ALICE if needed......All the important stuff is in my buttpack. I thought about trading out the MRE's for Freeze Dried food, but Freeze Dried, although lighter, takes up more room than MRE's. All our vehicles have 72 hour kits as well with various stuff in them..Maybe we'll get onto that subject some time too.... So, how fanatical are ya'll? How many different patterns of BDU's do you have? How many different web belts and packs do you have for various operations/situations?Thanks for sharing. I look forward to hearing more....Like Stephen said, it's a never ending hobby....I have a WHOLE lot of fun at it too!

Stephen, I really like you approach to planning. I am going to borrow your thinking. Thank you for helping me along there buddy. We have to assume some assumptions, but also, assume there are things you will be totally wrong about. That means, develop mental insurgency, get the mind set and overcome. Probably any event that will move us out will last longer than we expect. Be over prepared.
Take a Red Cross class on how to manage mass evacuwation facilities. You will then know how the system works and how to stay on top of it for your benefit. Also there are items that you cannot take into a mass evacuwation center. Weapons, pets and alcohol.
I have traveled and lived out of a pack for seveal weeks at a time in West Africa.This was during my Peace Corps service in Niger. It is like bugging out. You do not leave in an emergency, but you pack like your are going to be living in one each day. West Africa has absolutely no stores like America. There is no certainty that you will be able to find clean water. All water their is contaminated. You drink lots of commercial bottled bier (that's French for beer), soda or bottled water when available. There are along the main roads what are called 'Anasara' stores. That means white man store. The local natives usually just cannot afford the prices. But don't count on them. You must be prepared to be self sufficient.
Here is what I have learned about living out of a pack based on my experience.
A day pack is too small. Medium or larger military Alice pack is better. But a pack with a frame is needed. Carry more food than most of you are showing on the lists. Substitute brimmed hats for bandanas. Put a liner in your military poncho. It is essential to have a heavy plastic ground cloth. Carry enough to double its thickness under you. Keep off the dirt it contains biological contaminates. Keep your clothes clean. Dirty people look vulnerable. Carry a 5'X8' or if you can a 10'X12' plastic tarp for protection from the elements. Blowing dirt and sand will make your kit much less usable. You do not have time to clean it all out. Get one of those new firestarters that work in 80 MPH winds. The Harmaton Winds blow in West Africa for 3 months without letup day and night. And they are filled with dust like powered flour. Carry big candles. Or make one by using a Tuna can filled with melted parafin. When it begins to solidify place 4 birthday candles cut to a length so the wick just protrudes above the parafin. One of these will burn for 30++ hours. I have experimented with them. Cheap to make also. We NEVER used water purification tablets in the Peace Corps where I was working. They are not effective if aged and usually do not contian enough chemical to be safe. The water in West Africa contained critters, pathogens, and parasites that would make you sick to death. I saw the results of sloppy water purification in other Peace Corps cohorts. That will make you take the time to do it right and carry the proper stuff. A good water purifier with extra filter and brush for cleaning is a necessity. Carry chlorox it works good. Get a LED flashlight or one that is bright and lasts long. Extra batteries. But most of important, practice dark living. Get in a room that is absolutely dark. Place your pack on the floor. Name an item. Then find it in the dark. Retrieve it. Then repack it. You must be able to function in the dark. You must set up your night kit so you can pack and move in no more than seveal minutes without lights. Lights are for EMERGENCY USE ONLY. Never turn the light on at night. If you are in a Red Cross Shelter, thats OK. But out on you own in the countryside. NO LIGHT, no fires after sundown. If you have a fire before sundown, move the camp at dusk to another secure place. Carry a stainless backpacker cooking unit. I have cooked supper over charcoal in the street of a town while the whole world walked by. I found two knives handy. A big 10 inch blade and a small folding two blade. But I also carried a 18" machette as much for its protection value as its utility. Get a shorter one, 12" or 14" it will fit into a pack. Carry two compasses. It is the one thing you need redundancy in. If not a Leatherman, then at least pliers or visegrips. Use a wire that is maleable. Get a roll of soft iron wire. You can bend it into any shape practically by hand. Baling wire is much less maleable. The other item you need two of are your sunglasses. Once the eyes go, you are vulnerable. Do not carry a razor. The temtation to shave out of the local stream will allow untreated water in contact with your face you have just scraped with a sharp instrument. Little cuts and nicks you cannot see are gateways for pathogens and parasites. You do not carry enough water to have extra to shave with. If you are going to the Red Cross shelter, OK.
A lot more money, perhaps $1000. You may need bribe money. Up front money. A small amount will put you at the end of the line. In 1972 during extremely volatile weather inside the Grand Canyon. Part of a group rafting the Colorado River decided to walk out to the South Rim. They came up to Cottonwood Camp on the first inner shelf. It was late in the day and they had not brought anything with them. They were stupid ignorant people from the city. Not even water bottles. At this point they were barely 1/2 way out. A man approached us in the shelter where we were eating. We were also on the way out and had 2.5 full days of extra rations. He pulled out of his pocket a roll of 20 dollar bills about 3 inches across and began unrolling them. He says, I'll buy your food, meaning the food we were eating; I said "NO"; my friends said we have extra; he says I will buy it; I said "NO." Now I could have accomodated him easily but his manner was snobbish, boorish and overbearing. This fudpucker was used to buying anything he pleased and making money talk. Money was a substitute for manners. Besides, how often to you have the opportunity to make a person like this eat crow? Money is not always the answer, but it CAN open doors and keep you in better health. I carry no change. I carry a credit card for AT&T and my bank card. If you are going to carry weapons go .223 or 30 caliber for a serious rifle. I am not picky about a pistol, but I carry 9mm or 45. Cleaning kit for the weapons is necessary to keep them functional. Carry extra water bottles or bladders so when you find water you can store it. A pair of binoculars extend your eyes and worth the weight. A pair of two way radios. A wool blanket for each person rolled in the tarp. A stocking cap for sure. You can lose 90% of your body heat through your head. Suncreen and personal medication. A necessity in my kit is a pair of leather gloves. Any damage to hands, no manner how minor is major trouble if an infection sets in. Include a bicycle with panniers on the back, an ATV or motorcycle.
We maintain two vehicles, a two wheeled trailer and a double axle low boy 14' long trailer. Most of our equipment is boxed in wooden storage boxes so it can be moved onto the trailers. So to the bicycles and the ATV, 55 gallon water barrels and such. We are developing a plan for motorized bug out, ATV bug out, bicycle bug out and by foot bug out.
I gotta bug out for supper now. Hope this information is of value to someone.

Realities of Being a Survivalist
(Getting Past the "Bug Out" Mentality)
Written by Benjamin T. Moore
Originally posted to the Misc.Survivalism newsgroup

Those of us who've figured things out to various and lessor degrees, realize the need to prepare for a time in the not to distant future when the society we've become accustomed to will no longer be functional. Let's pause a moment and savor the meaning of what I just said. Some people who have not really paused to consider the true ramifications of a societal collapse, look forward to these times with an almost naive glee. Visions of "Red Dawn," fire fights with well armed but incompetent troops, camping out and feasting on venison seem to figure heavily in these ill conceived fantasies.

Let's explore some of these myths. Anyone who has spent anytime in the bush or in actual combat knows that running and gunning is the option of *LAST* resort!!! When things get down to running and gunning your prospects for long term survival have just become tragically thin. Even elite forces such as the Navy Seals, try to avoid "running and gunning." They operate from a base. They are inserted, do their jobs and are extracted back to the safety of their base. In the scenario so often fantasized, it would be like being permanently behind enemy lines with no support, no hope of extraction and no supplies. Could you survive? Some could, but they are few and far between. Even they could not survive for long.

Let's explore the notion of living off the land. The reality is, there isn't enough game except in a few places out west, to support a group of any size for any length of time. By the way, you've got to figure you're not going to be the *ONLY* person or group out there fighting for the limited resources. Small game? How many rabbits will you have to kill to feed your self per day? Per week? How about your family? You're going to run out of rabbits pretty quick in whatever area you happen to be in. Fishing? That's a good plan if you're near a body of water. But again, you're not going to be the only one with that idea. Suppose you have a good day and harvest a deer, or twenty or thirty fish, how are you going to preserve the meat? You probably aren't going to be lugging around a refrigerator or a freezer.

What about items you take for granted, like toilette paper? How much are you going to carry with you on a bug-out? There are many things to consider. The closest description of the bug-out experience is the Mountain Man life style. However, it's important to note, even the "Mountain Men" had to come back to society for supplies every so often.

When you begin to consider all the ramifications of "bugging-out," the magnitude of what you're attempting begins to become clear. Of course all this becomes a moot point if you become stuck in a traffic jam trying to leave the city, or if you get rounded up at an unexpected road block. A simple rule for survival in these circumstances is, look at what everybody else is doing, and don't do it!

Let's be smart. The best place to be at in a survival situation is your home. Your home should be your survival retreat! If it's not, make it into your survival retreat.

If it's not suitably located, buy one or build one that is. Even a well conceived and located apartment or condominum can become a survival retreat with some work and planning.

The two most powerful assets you can have are storage and concealment. If you want to understand survival, study the masters. The animal kingdom is without exception the best place to learn survival. Almost all animals, as a first line of defense use concealment or camouflage. Even predators such as tigers, cheetahs and lepoards use camouflage to assist in their survival. How can we profit from this strategy? The most important thing we can do as survivalist is to *NOT* draw attention to ourselves. A friend of mine once suggested we join an "intentional" community of like minded people and live in a rural communal setting. Visions of Waco and Ruby Ridge immediately sprang into my mind. I told this friend I'd rather live next door to the Governor. The likelihood of them taking tanks through the Governor's yard to get to me would be extremely slim. Not to mention being able to keep the News Media five miles away! In essence, "bugging-out" is like leaving the safety of the herd. If you've ever seen predators hunt animals in the wild, the first thing they do is cut them off from the protection of the herd. Then they descend on them and rip them to pieces, while the rest of the herd looks on grateful that it's not them being ripped to pieces. Do you see the anology between Waco and Ruby Ridge?

These were people who were cut off from the herd by the government predators and savaged. The rest of society has gone back to grazing, thanking their god it wasn't them.

They've even gone so far as to justify what happened by saying these people were extremist. This is very much like what happens in the animal kingdom. Only the sickly and diseased fall prey to the lion. Hence, if people are attacked by our government... they must be politically sick. But enough of this. It is not my intent to give you my political exigesis.

Being a Survivalist is a way of life! It's not just storing away supplies for a rainy day. I'm intrigued by people who spend thousands of dollars on camping equipment, semi-automatic rifles and hand guns, and who don't spend money where it counts. Let me give you some examples. Are you physically fit? How many miles can you run? How many miles can you run with a full pack on your back? Take an honest assessment of your self. Would you feel safe as the cruise ship pulled away from the dock knowing you had brought along your scuba tank, mask and fins, but had never had a swimming lesson and couldnt swim? If so, you'd better check the ship you're sailing on... It might be the Titanic.

The other thing that fascinates me, is the number of arm chair survivalist that spend great time carefully assembling a firearms battery, but don't take the time to become truly proficient with the firearms of their choice.

Too many times we trade the illusion of security for reality. The reality is, everything is governed by chance and probability. Our goal should be to turn a low probability of survival into a high probability of survival. I can only shake my head in disbelief at those who spend hundreds of dollars on the finest handgun they can afford - as well they should, how much is your life worth - but then spend $9.95 on a little suede inside the pants holster for it. That holster will most likely get you killed! I practice quick drawing each of my primary pieces at least 100 times per day. I go to the range regularly. I practice quick draw with carry ammunition, that's the ammo I carry for survival and defense at 100 yards. I can draw, fire and *keep* all shots in the kill zone at 100 yards quicker than most of the hollywood enhanced draws you see in the movies.

Does this make me the baddest thing walking? Nope! Because nobody's shooting back! What it does is increase the probability of my chances for survival against someone who's got their nice, shiney, new-in-the-box looking pistol in a 9.95 brown suede inside the pants holster. I'm not worried about the chap who carries an almost new looking pistol in a holster that looks like he just took it out of the plastic. I'm worried about that chap who's pistol has the fine patina of holster wear, the chap who's pistol is scratched and worn. To me he's a far more dangerous foe.

It's been said and it's true, beware the man that owns one gun... and shoots it!

Being a survivalist is a way of life. Is your home hardened? Is it stocked and supplied? Are you constantly thinking of ways to manufacture more of the things you go to the store and purchase? If your mate doesn't sew, do you? Could you make a serviceable out fit out of cloth or fabric? Or will you be reduced to foraging for garments if TEOTWAWKI comes in our life time? It certainly looks like it's just around the corner... Being able to "Bug-Out" is good, but it should never become your primary survival strategy!

If you don't have a hardened place to "Bug-Out" to, you're probably wasteing your time. Your best bet is to harden your home. Don't blow your cover by bragging about your supplies, in fact be extremely cautious about who you allow into your home. If things blow up, you don't want someone who's seen and noted your food stores, showing up on your door step with their family asking to share what you've set aside through your hard labor and sacrifice. The best neighbors are those that mind their own business. Mind yours and insist they mind theirs. You want to develop a support network of people who not only believe the way you do... but who believe strongly enough to act on their beliefs. In a survival situation everyone must pull their own weight.

Benjamin T. Moore, Jr. (Jian #BlackTech IRC Chat - Efnet)

Toni
02-19-2008, 10:26 AM
Thank you very much for this list. I appreciate it.

sarge712
03-17-2008, 08:36 PM
Here's another article about bug out bags. I tried to weed out any bad language and I apologize in advance if I missed any...I don't think the author is LDS...

The Bug-Out Bag (aka 72 hour kit)

The Bug Out Bag is not strictly for bugging out in case of a civil emergency. It is there to provide you with necessary items in case life takes any unpleasant unforeseen turn.

There are 3 levels of BOBs we will discuss here and each will be accompanied by a list of good things to have. Of course we recognize that everyone is different and that we all have different needs, so add and subtract as you will. Consider this a suggestion list and nothing more. This oracle is all about applied wisdom, so apply some wisdom in your choices.

Rules to remember:

“If it don’t go in my rucksack, it don’t go.”
If you have an object that is too bulky or too heavy to carry, don’t even try to carry it along. Don’t even consider carrying an item, no matter how light, with your hands alone. Whatever you take must be easily portable. We have houses for non-portable items.

“Your wife is smaller than you and your teenagers are idiots.”
Try very hard to not have unreasonable expectations of others, especially those closest to you. You may be an animal who can hump a 100 pound ruck at a 15 minute pace for 12 hours straight. Chances are, nobody else on your street can. Your wife, even if she could, probably would not. Lot couldn’t even get his wife to face front for a few hours, don’t expect your’s to carry more than 20 pounds of anything. On the other end of the scale, don’t overburden an eager young fool. Your teen son may believe he can carry what his old man can. He is most likely wrong, since boys simply don’t understand their limitations. If you overburden anyone, including yourself, it may lead to injuries, which will add to any woes.

“Why am I carrying this?”
If you have to get either to or from your house or you are stranded the last thing that you should ever have to utter is “Why am I carrying this?” Think long and hard about every ounce you stick into any BOB. Why is it there? Is it something I can do without? Is this just some gee whiz gadget that caught my eye but is too flimsy or too narrow of use to be functional? Be hard on yourself when choosing content. This isn’t about comfort; this is about getting to safety safely.

“Every ounce counts.”
Just what it says. If you have two items identical in function, choose the lighter or more compact of the two. If you doubt the veracity of this rule, try holding a 5 pound weight in your hand without setting it down once for a few hours.

“Those hippies know what they are doing.”
Get comfortable shoes. If you don’t wear them normally, carry a pair in case you have to walk. Bad footwear is less of a problem these days since most folks wear cross trainer type athletic shoes as everyday footwear. Those hiking boots you have may be very nice, but if your family members have to travel by foot they are going to be very unhappy, especially if they are under-equipped. We are Americans. We are fat, lazy, and we drive everywhere. Take that into consideration.

“Food good, water good, fire good, shelter good.”
One must have is food. It provides comfort as well as sustenance. The suggestions here will be tailored to each BOB.
Water is an absolute necessity. You can go for quite a while with no food, but water is a daily must have, especially if you have kids. Again, each suggestion will be tailored to each BOB.
Fire? Get a reliable lighter. Zippo multifuel lighters are the best, but if you get one get fuel and extra flints Try to avoid matches. They work great at home because they are stored indoors, but that isn’t the case when using your BOB. Unopened packs of regular butane lighters will work too, but Zippos were made to go to war. Fire starter tools are a good idea, but only if you can use them and that means practice. And practice is something most people aren’t willing to do. Also remember that manual dexterity diminishes rapidly when hands are cold, so unless you are skilled with a fire tool, get a lighter. Never forget the KISS principle, and never be at risk of death or dismemberment because you think a tool is cooler than a simple Bic lighter.
Tents. There are small pop-up tents on the market now that weigh two or three pounds, assemble in less than 3 minutes, hold two, are less than 18 inches long collapsed, cost less than $30.00USD, and keep the rain and wind off. This will be discussed in greater detail later on, but strongly consider getting a tent, especially if you live in a cold climate.

“Talk is cheap.”
Get a cell phone. Even if you loathe the things and would never use it, get one. There may come a time when you really need to call emergency services or a loved one to let them know you are OK, so it is better to have it and not need it than to be without. Also consider getting an inexpensive pair of all weather walkie-talkies. These come in handy all sorts of places and under all sorts of situations. Motorola makes some great radios that are inexpensive and rugged as can be. This also will be discussed at length.

“Pardon me, but you are standing on my neck.”
Learn first aid. There are Red Cross courses in your area, we guarantee it. At a minimum each adult should be able to perform CPR and give basic medical attention to a traumatic wound. Chance favors the prepared mind, so prepare your mind.

“Always have a back up plan.”
The only certainty in life is that nothing is certain. Be flexible in your planning. Have a back up. Have a back up to you back up if you can. Never allow yourself to be harmed due to poor planning. If your safe haven is Grandma’s farm 300 miles away through a densely populated area, hope that there is never a need for you to flee. You will need an alternate plan as well. This leads to….

“Can’t get there from here.”
Have maps. www.MAPQUEST.com (http://www.mapquest.com/) will allow you to make multiple detailed maps of alternate road routes. Fold them up. Label them clearly. Put each of them in a zip lock bag. Strongly consider getting regular charts as well. Put them in each BOB you have.

“Where am I?”
Get an inexpensive GPS and get a moderately expensive compass. You can’t get to where you are going if you don’t know where you are or where you are coming from.

“Don’t get fancy.”
Look hard at everything you buy. If one expensive item is less useful than several useful items, get what is useful. Be a mean spirited cynical pragmatist when it comes to your field equipment. Expect your stuff to break, so get stuff that can’t break or that is so field proven you couldn’t kill it with an aluminum baseball bat.

“Do get quality.”
Don’t confuse price with quality. It is possible to outfit yourself quite well for very little and possible to get a giant load of useless crap for a lot of money. Don’t be ashamed to ask questions, and never trust a salesman. Most likely the salesman has never used the equipment he is selling to you, so use good sense. A good place to ask around is this board, www.SurvivalForums.com (http://www.survivalforums.com/) or www.AR15.com (http://www.ar15.com/). If you can, go to a shooting session with some board members to see what kind of guys they are. You don’t want to take outdoors equipment advice from some 40 year old asthmatic butterball who lives with his Mom and gets all his info from magazines.

The Absolute Minimalist Bug-Out Bag

The minimalist BOB is something you can chuck into your trunk and forget about until needed. It is for the family member who is resistant to the idea of a BOB, or meant as an extra bit of smart packed into each of your car’s trunks to augment a basic BOB.

To assemble it you will need:

Several quart sized and one gallon sized Ziplock bags.
A lighter. Fire is our friend.
One flattened roll of toilet paper with the cardboard tube removed. Toilet paper is also our friend. Once flattened, place in appropriate ziplock bag, squeeze out all the air and close Ziplock bag.
A pocketknife, preferably a Leatherman Supertool or something similar that is high quality. This is without a doubt incredibly useful. You shouldn’t even put it in the bag unless it is a spare, put it in your purse or on your belt. This isn’t a pocketknife, it is a toolset. It is a can opener, a knife, a saw, a file, an awl, a bottle opener, a pliers, a wire cutter, a crimper, a flathead screwdriver, a Phillip’s head screwdriver, and both a metric and English ruler. This ain’t your Daddy’s Swiss Army knife. Spyderco also makes a gadget knife with a blade so sharp you could do surgery, so check it out as well. Websites: www.SPYDERCO.com (http://www.spyderco.com/), www.gerber-knife-store.com (http://www.gerber-knife-store.com/), and www.LEATHERMANSTORE.com (http://www.leathermanstore.com/)
Five Maxipads. This is optional, but in addition to their accepted use, they are very absorbent and sterile, so they can be used as pressure bandages in case of an accident. Put in Ziplock and squeeze out the air.
2 pint bottles of water. (optional).
2 or 3 power bars. If you can, get the horrible kind like they put in military combat rations, the dreaded MRE (Meal, Ready to Eat), these bars will last longer than commercial counterparts.
A flashlight. They now make small disposable LED keychains that are extremely bright and run off of a watch battery. Normally these things run about $3.00USD. While this is good from a size standpoint (they are about as big as a quarter around), and from a weight standpoint (maybe a quarter ounce), they are not terribly rugged. Mag-Lite makes a very small flashlight that uses AAA batteries called a Mini Mag-Lite that is very bright and about as big as a man’s middle finger. All Mag-Lite flashlights can be used to kill or injure a grown man, so look at getting one of those. It is more expensive, but wow! Tough as tough can be, water proof, and they come with a spare bulb in the base. Leave the batteries in their package and stick the light into a ziplock bag with at least 2 extra batteries. Other light sources are- www.MAGLITE.com (http://www.maglite.com/), www.gadgets4sure.com (http://www.gadgets4sure.com/), www.arcflashlights.com (http://www.arcflashlights.com/) and www.surefire.com (http://www.surefire.com/)
If you have these items you will be set for the vast majority of life’s little curveballs. The Leatherman or a similar tool alone will solve the majority, but the others really do matter.

Take the stuff and put it into the gallon ziploc bag. Express the air and zip it shut. You can then take the second bag, place the full bag into the second so that the zipped portion is put in first, express the air, and zip the second one shut. This will provide a lot of moisture protection.

It is recommended that everyone, even those who don’t want or have the capacity for a full on BOB, make one of these and place it in the trunk of their car. Even a teen with a pierced face can figure out what to do with this stuff in the event of an emergency.

The Basic BOB

The Basic BOB is meant to be carried every day, and is geared towards an urban or suburban environment. This is something that, since it is meant for everyday carry, must be comfortable, rugged, and useful in daily life.

A real life application of an everyday Basic BOB to illustrate the idea of its use would be the World Trade Center incident in September of 2001. There were many who were left stranded for greater than 24 hours with just their clothes and wallets, and the wallets weren’t working. Services were interrupted, and many people were on their own in a hostile environment. The air wasn’t safe to breathe and their was no ready haven.

Another example was the Aum Shirinynko nerve gas attack in Tokyo. People could not access mass transit and were effectively stranded for up to 48 hours while the subways were checked.

Lastly one should remember the Bhopal disaster. Huge clouds of cyanide gas were vented and many were forced to flee their homes with nothing but their clothes.

This sort of BOB is easy and very worthwhile to assemble. A small briefcase or book bag sized rucksack is not only a useful everyday carrier, it also will fail to draw the eye of most passersby.

Here is what you need in general, feel free to add or subtract:

The bag itself. We suggest something inconspicuous and easy to carry, but with an appreciable load capacity. A medium sized briefcase will suffice, but try to get a North Face or Jansport type bag that college students use as book bags. The bags will have extra external and internal pockets which will come in handy for little things you need to get to quickly such as toilet paper or food. The bags often come with Fastex buckles which allow the bearer to externally attach other items allowing the user to customize his carry. A good place to get this sort of gear is Eastern Mountain Sports at www.EASTERNMOUNTAINSPORTS.com (http://www.easternmountainsports.com/).

A Leatherman Supertool or something similar as mentioned in the Minimalist BOB.

Spare glasses. If you wear glasses get a spare set and put them in. If you wear contacts, get a pair of glasses and store them in the bag. In an abrasive or caustic atmosphere you can seriously damage your eyes with contacts, and you may not be able to clean your hands enough to replace dirty or lost lenses. So, glasses it is. An excellent and useful item for this is RecSpec. These are prescription recreation and sports glasses/goggles that can’t fall off your head and get lost. Ask about them at your optometrist, or read about them here- www.sportingeyes.com/recspecs.htm (http://www.sportingeyes.com/recspecs.htm) .

One roll of toilet paper. Never be without at least one roll of toilet paper. For ease of carry remove the cardboard tube and smash it flat. Then take it and put it into a ziplock bag. Express the air from the bag and seal it tightly. If you are ever in a position where there is no TP, you will thank us for this one.

A Zippo multifuel lighter or an unopened drug store butane lighter. If you don’t smoke you may never need it, but fire is man’s most basic tool, so get it and have it. If you get the Zippo, remember extra flints and fuel.

Food. Have some power bars or some cookies. The best way to figure your needs is to miss lunch, then see if one or two packs of Oreos or a power bar or two takes most of the edge off. The prepackaged cheese and crackers snacks for kids are a good idea also. For this author a package of 8 Fig Newtons is sufficient for a few hours. Plan on a 48 hour period of relying on your BOB. Have six very small meals, each in its own ziplock bag. Eat them once a month and restock so they don’t go bad on you.

Water. Have a minimum of 4 20 ounce bottles. If you can stomach warm Gatorade, get that instead. Most hunger pains are actually thirst, so try drinking a half a bottle of fluid with each mini meal you eat.

Medicine. Be absolutely certain you have any daily meds you take. This may be something you have to put into and remove from the bag each day, but don’t forget them. If the medicine you take is not easily perishable and not a controlled substance, get your doctor to write an extra prescription and keep a spare bottle, that you rotate out monthly, in the bag at all times.

Space blanket. There are emergency blankets that fold up to about the size of a sandwich. They are inexpensive and very warm. They are also usually waterproof. Get one or two. www.SPORTSMANSGUIDE.com (http://www.sportsmansguide.com/)

Toothbrush and toothpaste. This is optional, but performing personal hygiene can make you feel worlds better in a bad situation. Put them in a ziplock bag together.

Money. A spare $100.00 is a very good idea. At the very least get a roll of quarters for vending machines since they may work in the absence of electricity. Be aware that money may not have much value in a true SHTF situation. This author experienced Hurricane Luis on the island of Saint Martin in the Caribbean in 1995. You couldn’t get food or gasoline with a 2 carat ruby. I know, I tried. Remember that money is a good idea, but it only works in a civilized paradigm.

Deodorant. Very optional. This only applies if you are from the US. Other countries don’t seem to want it.

Spare clothing. This is optional, but not a bad idea. At the very least you will want some spare socks sitting snug in a ziplock bag.

Personal protection. Get the strongest pepper spray you can find and rotate stock every six months or so. If the button gets pushed, get rid of it. The can will leak. www.PEPPERSPRAYINC.com (http://www.peppersprayinc.com/)

Firearm. If you live in a free state, get a concealed carry waiver so that you can carry your weapon without fear of arrest. If you are in a state where the rights of all people are not recognized, rely on the pepper spray. For a BOB firearm, the suggestion is for a something reliable. It has to go boom every time the trigger is pulled. A compact lightweight revolver such as Taurus or Smith & Wesson makes may be the ticket. Firearms are a very personal sort of equipment, and if you don’t know anything about them, get help and get good teaching. At the very least get a small semi-auto .22LR pistol and learn how to use and maintain it. Keep it in a holster or case so the sights and trigger can’t be bumped. Any gun is better than no gun when people around you lose their minds.

Feminine hygiene. Get some maxipads. Remember they can be used as pressure bandages.

Pencil and paper. Being able to write a note can be very necessary at times. You may need to write down a license plate or a description for the police, so get a small wire bound 3”x5” notebook and put it in a Ziplock with a pencil.

Band-Aids. Always a good idea. Stick 10 or so in a ziplock bag and seal it tight.

Radio and batteries. A cheap transistor radio can be a big help. If nothing else it can tell you if there are road or bridge closings or if there is a shelter nearby. Make sure the radio isn’t a flimsy headset design that will break with rough handling, and make sure it is a RADIO, not a CD or an MP3 player when you buy it. Put the radio and batteries in ziplock bags.

A flashlight. Just as described in the minimalist BOB, get a small AA or AAA battery using Mini Mag-Lite or a LED keying.

A respirator. This is optional. Lowes, Home Depot, and other hardware stores stock painter’s respirators that run about $15.00 USD. They use replaceable canister filters that are really very good for what they are. This isn’t a gas mask of course, but if there is a lot of stuff in the air these cans will help keep it out of your lungs, especially dust in the event of a nuke or radiological “dirty” bomb. You may expect a sudden peak in the numbers of lung disorders among survivors of the NYC WTC collapse in about 2011 or so. Those folks breathed in a lot of bad stuff, and it is reasonable to believe they will have had their lives cut short by it. A respirator doesn’t weigh much, is about as big as a fist, and is cheap insurance. Get one and put it into a ziplock bag.

Soap. One or two bars of hotel sized soap can help with cleaning hands before eating or for just getting yourself a little cleaner. This is especially helpful in the event of a small wound. It may hurt to wash a scrape or cut, but it is the best way to avoid infection.

A fork and a spoon. Eating with your hands isn’t just bad manners, it is a health hazard. Remember the Four F’s of Food Sanitation: Fingers, Face, Flies, and Feces. Getting food poisoning when you have no ready way to care for yourself can be very problematic. Even freshly washed hands can carry enough bacteria to make you ill in dirty conditions, thus poor personal hygiene coupled with a failure of civil sanitation is a recipe for trouble. If you have a regular metal fork and spoon, you can sidestep this large potential problem. Put them in a ziplock so they won’t get lost and put them in the bag. You can make a cup if needed by cutting the top off a plastic pop bottle, or by using you can opener on a soft drink can.
It is suggested that you put like items in like places so you don’t have to hunt around too much. Hygiene stuff in one pocket, food in another pocket, etc. Always strive to be logical so that when you are under stress, you won’t have to solve any puzzles.

All together this should take up about ? to ? of the space in your bag. This will allow you to carry regular day to day stuff as well, so you will feel more inclined to tote it around. This is an important point. If you don’t want to carry this thing, you won’t. If you don’t carry it, it does you no good. A daily BOB is just like your pants, you don’t leave home without it. It has to be an automatic act when you leave home that your bag is on your shoulder or your case is in your hand. Once you have reached the point where carrying this thing is a natural act, you will have met the most difficult challenge to being prepared on a daily basis.

Again, don’t be afraid to add or subtract items that you want or need. This list is based upon a MINIMUM of what would be needed, and may not address your personal needs.

The Basic BOB

The Basic BOB is meant to be carried every day, and is geared towards an urban or suburban environment. This is something that, since it is meant for everyday carry, must be comfortable, rugged, and useful in daily life.

A real life application of an everyday Basic BOB to illustrate the idea of its use would be the World Trade Center incident in September of 2001. There were many who were left stranded for greater than 24 hours with just their clothes and wallets, and the wallets weren’t working. Services were interrupted, and many people were on their own in a hostile environment. The air wasn’t safe to breathe and their was no ready haven.

Another example was the Aum Shirinynko nerve gas attack in Tokyo. People could not access mass transit and were effectively stranded for up to 48 hours while the subways were checked.

Lastly one should remember the Bhopal disaster. Huge clouds of cyanide gas were vented and many were forced to flee their homes with nothing but their clothes.

This sort of BOB is easy and very worthwhile to assemble. A small briefcase or book bag sized rucksack is not only a useful everyday carrier, it also will fail to draw the eye of most passersby.

Here is what you need in general, feel free to add or subtract:

The bag itself. We suggest something inconspicuous and easy to carry, but with an appreciable load capacity. A medium sized briefcase will suffice, but try to get a North Face or Jansport type bag that college students use as book bags. The bags will have extra external and internal pockets which will come in handy for little things you need to get to quickly such as toilet paper or food. The bags often come with Fastex buckles which allow the bearer to externally attach other items allowing the user to customize his carry. A good place to get this sort of gear is Eastern Mountain Sports at www.EASTERNMOUNTAINSPORTS.com (http://www.easternmountainsports.com/).

A Leatherman Supertool or something similar as mentioned in the Minimalist BOB.

Spare glasses. If you wear glasses get a spare set and put them in. If you wear contacts, get a pair of glasses and store them in the bag. In an abrasive or caustic atmosphere you can seriously damage your eyes with contacts, and you may not be able to clean your hands enough to replace dirty or lost lenses. So, glasses it is. An excellent and useful item for this is RecSpec. These are prescription recreation and sports glasses/goggles that can’t fall off your head and get lost. Ask about them at your optometrist, or read about them here- www.sportingeyes.com/recspecs.htm (http://www.sportingeyes.com/recspecs.htm) .

One roll of toilet paper. Never be without at least one roll of toilet paper. For ease of carry remove the cardboard tube and smash it flat. Then take it and put it into a ziplock bag. Express the air from the bag and seal it tightly. If you are ever in a position where there is no TP, you will thank us for this one.

A Zippo multifuel lighter or an unopened drug store butane lighter. If you don’t smoke you may never need it, but fire is man’s most basic tool, so get it and have it. If you get the Zippo, remember extra flints and fuel.

Food. Have some power bars or some cookies. The best way to figure your needs is to miss lunch, then see if one or two packs of Oreos or a power bar or two takes most of the edge off. The prepackaged cheese and crackers snacks for kids are a good idea also. For this author a package of 8 Fig Newtons is sufficient for a few hours. Plan on a 48 hour period of relying on your BOB. Have six very small meals, each in its own ziplock bag. Eat them once a month and restock so they don’t go bad on you.

Water. Have a minimum of 4 20 ounce bottles. If you can stomach warm Gatorade, get that instead. Most hunger pains are actually thirst, so try drinking a half a bottle of fluid with each mini meal you eat.

Medicine. Be absolutely certain you have any daily meds you take. This may be something you have to put into and remove from the bag each day, but don’t forget them. If the medicine you take is not easily perishable and not a controlled substance, get your doctor to write an extra prescription and keep a spare bottle, that you rotate out monthly, in the bag at all times.

Space blanket. There are emergency blankets that fold up to about the size of a sandwich. They are inexpensive and very warm. They are also usually waterproof. Get one or two. www.SPORTSMANSGUIDE.com (http://www.sportsmansguide.com/)

Toothbrush and toothpaste. This is optional, but performing personal hygiene can make you feel worlds better in a bad situation. Put them in a ziplock bag together.

Money. A spare $100.00 is a very good idea. At the very least get a roll of quarters for vending machines since they may work in the absence of electricity. Be aware that money may not have much value in a true SHTF situation. This author experienced Hurricane Luis on the island of Saint Martin in the Caribbean in 1995. You couldn’t get food or gasoline with a 2 carat ruby. I know, I tried. Remember that money is a good idea, but it only works in a civilized paradigm.

Deodorant. Very optional. This only applies if you are from the US. Other countries don’t seem to want it.

Spare clothing. This is optional, but not a bad idea. At the very least you will want some spare socks sitting snug in a ziplock bag.

Personal protection. Get the strongest pepper spray you can find and rotate stock every six months or so. If the button gets pushed, get rid of it. The can will leak. www.PEPPERSPRAYINC.com (http://www.peppersprayinc.com/)

Firearm. If you live in a free state, get a concealed carry waiver so that you can carry your weapon without fear of arrest. If you are in a state where the rights of all people are not recognized, rely on the pepper spray. For a BOB firearm, the suggestion is for a something reliable. It has to go boom every time the trigger is pulled. A compact lightweight revolver such as Taurus or Smith & Wesson makes may be the ticket. Firearms are a very personal sort of equipment, and if you don’t know anything about them, get help and get good teaching. At the very least get a small semi-auto .22LR pistol and learn how to use and maintain it. Keep it in a holster or case so the sights and trigger can’t be bumped. Any gun is better than no gun when people around you lose their minds.

Feminine hygiene. Get some maxipads. Remember they can be used as pressure bandages.

Pencil and paper. Being able to write a note can be very necessary at times. You may need to write down a license plate or a description for the police, so get a small wire bound 3”x5” notebook and put it in a Ziplock with a pencil.

Band-Aids. Always a good idea. Stick 10 or so in a ziplock bag and seal it tight.

Radio and batteries. A cheap transistor radio can be a big help. If nothing else it can tell you if there are road or bridge closings or if there is a shelter nearby. Make sure the radio isn’t a flimsy headset design that will break with rough handling, and make sure it is a RADIO, not a CD or an MP3 player when you buy it. Put the radio and batteries in ziplock bags.

A flashlight. Just as described in the minimalist BOB, get a small AA or AAA battery using Mini Mag-Lite or a LED keying.

A respirator. This is optional. Lowes, Home Depot, and other hardware stores stock painter’s respirators that run about $15.00 USD. They use replaceable canister filters that are really very good for what they are. This isn’t a gas mask of course, but if there is a lot of stuff in the air these cans will help keep it out of your lungs, especially dust in the event of a nuke or radiological “dirty” bomb. You may expect a sudden peak in the numbers of lung disorders among survivors of the NYC WTC collapse in about 2011 or so. Those folks breathed in a lot of bad stuff, and it is reasonable to believe they will have had their lives cut short by it. A respirator doesn’t weigh much, is about as big as a fist, and is cheap insurance. Get one and put it into a ziplock bag.

Soap. One or two bars of hotel sized soap can help with cleaning hands before eating or for just getting yourself a little cleaner. This is especially helpful in the event of a small wound. It may hurt to wash a scrape or cut, but it is the best way to avoid infection.

A fork and a spoon. Eating with your hands isn’t just bad manners, it is a health hazard. Remember the Four F’s of Food Sanitation: Fingers, Face, Flies, and Feces. Getting food poisoning when you have no ready way to care for yourself can be very problematic. Even freshly washed hands can carry enough bacteria to make you ill in dirty conditions, thus poor personal hygiene coupled with a failure of civil sanitation is a recipe for trouble. If you have a regular metal fork and spoon, you can sidestep this large potential problem. Put them in a ziplock so they won’t get lost and put them in the bag. You can make a cup if needed by cutting the top off a plastic pop bottle, or by using you can opener on a soft drink can.
It is suggested that you put like items in like places so you don’t have to hunt around too much. Hygiene stuff in one pocket, food in another pocket, etc. Always strive to be logical so that when you are under stress, you won’t have to solve any puzzles.

All together this should take up about ? to ? of the space in your bag. This will allow you to carry regular day to day stuff as well, so you will feel more inclined to tote it around. This is an important point. If you don’t want to carry this thing, you won’t. If you don’t carry it, it does you no good. A daily BOB is just like your pants, you don’t leave home without it. It has to be an automatic act when you leave home that your bag is on your shoulder or your case is in your hand. Once you have reached the point where carrying this thing is a natural act, you will have met the most difficult challenge to being prepared on a daily basis.

Again, don’t be afraid to add or subtract items that you want or need. This list is based upon a MINIMUM of what would be needed, and may not address your personal needs.

Intermediate BOB

Now we move on to something a little more substantial. Since cold weather is the most difficult thing to deal with, this section is geared towards people who travel in rural areas and who may experience unpleasant winters. This is a BOB you will fill and put into your vehicle, opening it only to rotate stocks every so often or if you need it.

The bag itself should be larger. We suggest a medium sized rucksack with or without a frame. An internally framed ruck is better, but it is not necessary. A cheap solution is a medium sized military issue ALICE rucksack. ALICE stands for All purpose Light weight Individual Carrying Equipment. Leave it to the military to come up with a 7 word name for rucksack and then an acronym to shorten it. The ALICE ruck’s design was employed in numerous conflicts and to the best of my knowledge no one ever complained about the rucksack except to say the frame was somewhat flimsy. The frame is aluminum, and will bend if abused by being sat upon or in some other fashion. If it is used in its intended fashion, it will last a lifetime with no care at all. Read some reviews on the ALICE here-www.trailspace.com/gear/review/00002483 (http://www.trailspace.com/gear/review/00002483)

Another alternative is a gym bag of tough construction, preferably with 4 or 5 external pockets. Several sporting goods places on the web offer “range bags” or “shooter’s bags” that are made of very strong stuff and have many external pockets. Get one with good sewn in handles and, if possible, end handles as well as the standard top handles. Good quality gym bags can be found at most retail outlets like Wal-Mart or here- www.twistedtoad.com (http://www.twistedtoad.com)

If you drive a truck with no back seat, try to get a gym bag with a bottom width the same as the floor with the seat moved to the rear. If you have to put the bag in the back of the truck, try to avoid putting water in the bag as it will freeze and burst the container.

Consider this list a continuation of the basic BOB:

Clothes. Put in a spare set of jeans, a shirt, socks, spare boots or athletic shoes, a scarf, a balaclava or a ski mask, good gloves, a lightweight waterproof parka or windbreaker, and some long underwear. Put them separately into plastic bags and seal them as best you can. That which will fit into a ziplock, put into a ziplock. As always, get the air out of the bag before sealing.
Fatty, salty, and sugary foods. Get a can or two of Spam, yes Spam, I said Spam and throw it in there. A can or two of Dinty Moore stew should go in there as well as junk food like chocolate chip cookies, etc. A good rule of thumb is if your kids whine for it, you will want to carry a little of it for any potential on foot impromptu camping trip. Get also a few packets of dried noodle soups like Hot Ramen or Cup A Soup so that you can drink stuff to warm up. Hot chocolate packets and instant coffee is also recommended. The General Foods International coffees are about half sugar and come in a sturdy tin, but beware, after drinking a cup you may feel compelled to start talking about your feelings. When the temperature drops and you have to walk through snow and ice you need to eat and drink horrible crap like that. The drinks and noodles will warm you, fat will feed you, and the salt will constipate you. Constipation is good because who wants to stick their derriere out and squat in 10F weather? And now, a Spam haiku, or Spamku:
“I eat Spam daily.”
An Old Man says to Doctor
Angioplasty

A small pot. Get a 2 quart, preferably iron, pot for melting snow or heating water for drinking or making soup.If you feel that a 2 quart pot is too much to carry, there are alternatives. One may choose to go with aluminum cookware, but it may be damaged or crushed if abused in some fashion. It may also make your food taste nasty and is unhealthy from a long term perspective. Another suggestion is titanium cookware which will only crush you wallet. For a review of titanium pots see: www.backpacking.net/reviews3.html (http://www.backpacking.net/reviews3.html). A good source for this type of cookware is www.backcountrygear.com (http://www.backcountrygear.com/).
Get a small camper stove. This is optional. They are simple inexpensive affairs of flat stamped metal that you can build a small fire under and put a pot on. Alternately you can have a small propane stove with a cylinder of gas.
Maps. Don’t forget the map if you have to ditch your vehicle. Try to avoid going out without one. You will want that piece of paper if you are unfamiliar with the area, and you will want it if you are. Things look different at 3 miles an hour, lands marks won’t pass with that familiar tempo.
A tent. Get a small inexpensive pop up tent and put it in your bag. A $20.00 USD tent will be more than enough to keep the wind off of three huddled people, which can be the difference between life and death in a nasty winter storm, especially if wet. Again, a good source for this gear is www.backcountrygear.com (http://www.backcountrygear.com/).
Candles. Get two or three emergency candles. You would not believe the amount of heat these things throw off in a confined space. Try it out. Get in the tent sometime, seal it up, and light a candle. You should have to start taking off clothes within 10 to 15 minutes. A note about clothes. If you are cold with your clothes on, try taking some off or opening them up. The cold may just be there because your sweat can’t get away from you. Dry is warm and warm is dry.
Sleeping bag. Get a decent bag. Try to get one that goes into a “stuff bag”. They compact the best and are easiest to carry.
Poncho. Get an army surplus or, better yet, a new poncho. We wouldn’t advise wearing one because they will make you sweat, which will make you cold, but they are great to rest a tent on. Also, they make a great hasty tent or sleeping bag. You can find quality stuff at www.actiongear.com (http://www.actiongear.com/), or www.rangerjoes.com (http://www.rangerjoes.com/).
GPS and a compass. This is most likely unnecessary except in a blizzard, but hey, be prepared. Get a moderately priced Garmin GPS with preprogrammable waypoints and an expensive compass. Preprogram your waypoints along your most traveled routes. Never be lost again, right? www.GARMIN.com (http://www.garmin.com/)
Spare fuel. There are emergency fuel packs sold in Wal Mart, K Mart, Auto Zone, etc. These are “trunk safe” containers of mineral spirits that can be used in a pinch if you run out of gas. One or two is a good idea. If you have a diesel, cooking oil can serve as an emergency fuel, so keep a couple of gallons of vegetable oil in your vehicle.
A small can of red spray paint. This is optional. If you need to mark your way whether by marking trees or by leaving a directional arrow in the snow, have this item.
Water. If it is snowy, you have water. If it isn’t you need at least three 20oz bottles per day. Figure to have on hand a 3 day supply. Gatorade is better, but have something to drink.
A charcoal hand warmer. These can be found at sporting goods shops. Have one and extra fuel. Store them in ziplock bags. This item can be the difference between losing and keeping digits in a frostbite situation. If you can, get two so you can warm your hands and feet at the same time.
Personal protection. I know I am repeating myself here. Carry pepper spray. There are bad people in the world and you don’t want to get to know them. One of the author’s hitchhiked across Texas and into Mexico one summer just on a lark. If he ever catches his kid trying anything that stupid he will break both his legs. There are good people on the road, but there are some seriously evil ones too.
Firearms. Get a quality pistol and get good with it. Stick it in your parka pocket and zip it shut when you walk. If you have it on a holster it might show and people might not slow to help you. It will also be more difficult to get to under a parka. If it is in the pocket you can keep your hand in there and no one will notice. They will assume you are just cold. Make certain you zip of button you pocket when you walk as to prevent your weapon from falling out.
Obviously this list is geared towards extreme cold, which is far more dangerous than extreme heat. Those in southern areas will want to modify or exclude some items completely. People in central Mississippi may need no more than a light jacket in winter and very little of the camping gear. Folks in New Mexico will know just how cold the high desert can get and may want to carry more water and perhaps a propane cook stove and a few cylinders of fuel in case there isn’t much wood on the ground. Again, know your potential situation and plan accordingly, don’t be rigid.

Advanced BOB

Oh dear, it finally happened. Some jackass nuked half a dozen major cities simultaneously, the food and petroleum supply has been disrupted, there is a plague that makes the Black Death look like a head cold and we can’t fight it, or Mike Tyson is in an elevator with you. Whatever it may be, it is time to haul ass in a big way, and you have a long way to go. This isn’t just getting home due to a bad hair day, this is Bosnia for a Croat or Rwanda for a Hutu time. It is time to “Run Forrest, run!” or “Run Luke, run!” depending on how grandiose your self image is.

When you go you know that travel may be uncertain. There may be roadblocks as is routine in rural Africa when there is one of their periodic disease outbreaks, there may be civil unrest like the Rodney King riots, there may be martial law declared so you can’t use the roads. Any way you slice it you have to maximize the chances of getting yourself and your family safely to safety, and this may involve transition from wheels to feet in order to get there.

Before you can even consider this level of planning you need to consider the goal. If you wish to go to Grandma’s farm 300 miles away, you need not one plan, or two plans, you need several alternates. What takes 5 hours by highway may take weeks with a family in tow on foot. Write down the plans in a notebook and have the appropriate maps. If you catch some Apache’s arrow, the rest of the family will still need to make it there if they can.

Consider the size of your family and their ages. This will be a major indicator of what needs to happen with regards to provisions.

Never try to carry any more than 50-60 pounds per healthy adult male, and never try to go 25-35 pounds per woman or teen.

Always plan for the worst. If you have 3 kids and a wife make every plan as though it would be made over land without roads and carrying at least one member. Figure that if you can go 15 miles a day with a family on foot, you are really doing well, so 300 miles equals a minimum of 20 days of travel, with a realistic expectation being 30 days. And an angry, dirty, whining, X Box withdrawal group of unhappy campers they will be.
This list is a continuation of the above BOB lists. The first two lists were just for a single person. Do the math. Multiply where you need to, more tents, ponchos, etc. Figure a roll of toilet paper lasts an adult male a week when he eats regularly, so multiply rolls times people times weeks. Family of five going 300 miles? 5 people X 4 weeks is twenty rolls of paper, which is a lot of volume, so everyone carries their own TP in their personal ruck. Another thing, get the roughest TP you can get. It wipes off the poop better, it stores better, and the women won’t use as much.

The bag or bags. Go to a dive store, that is a place SCUBA divers shop, not a store with cheap beer and cheaper women. Get one of the large dive bags they sell. These bags are designed to hold heavy and bulky stuff in harsh environments and are extremely rugged. Don’t forget to buy individual rucks for those who don’t have them. They make good book bags for kids, so tell them that is what they will use them for. It will get them used to carrying them.
A shovel. You will need to bury your poop and scrape a fire pit. You may also need to bury someone. If you have to bury someone, mark the location in your GPS. It may be important for you to return later. Bring at least a military issue entrenching tool. They are small, inexpensive, light, and they collapse.
A water filter. You cannot expect your wife or kids to drink ditch water. Get a reverse osmosis filtration pump with an iodide filter. Katydyn makes some great pump systems for campers. An inexpensive backup that you must have is regular household bleach. 3 to 4 drops per gallon is all that is needed to make water safe for consumption, so get a small medicine dropper and fill it with bleach. Add the bleach to the water, stir or shake vigorously, and let it sit for an hour. It will then be drinkable. Try to avoid ingesting any sediment. www.KATADYN.net (http://www.katadyn.net/)
Binoculars. Have at least one pair. You may have a need to look at things at a distance. We recommend Steiners or Bausch & Lomb. Don’t go cheap on binos, this is one area where expensive is good. www.STEINER-BINOCULARS.com (http://www.steiner-binoculars.com/) or www.EAGLEOPTICS.com (http://www.eagleoptics.com/)
A wagon. Go to Lehman’s online catalogue or go to Lowes or Home Depot, etc. They will have very sturdy wooden wagons or metal garden wagons. The metal garden wagons typically have better handles, better wheels, better suspensions, and carry more, but they can be uncomfortable to touch in winter and they can rust. If you have to put an infant in one, you don’t want there to be a chance of instant frostbite just because he was fussy and flailing around. The suggestion is to go with wood. You can order a Lehman’s wagon with very large wheels for off road use. If you have small children who may need to be pulled, get two wagons. One wagon is for provisions and the other to carry rug rats. www.LEHMANS.com (http://www.lehmans.com/) These wagons can carry two or three hundred pounds easily, so these are not your old Radio Flyer.

Food. Rice
? a cup of dried rice is equal to roughly 1 ? cups of cooked rice. That is a lot of rice per person, so no one should be very hungry. Figure a family of five eating twice a day is five cups a day times thirty days travel is 150 cups of rice.
With 16 cups per gallon two 5 gallon containers should suffice for a month’s travel. Get PVC buckets with pour spout lids.
Beans.
Rice and beans twice a day for a month will cool ardor and may lead to acts of violence, but you will be pleased to see that they have plenty of energy to argue, since rice and beans will provide almost all the nutrients a body needs. The question is, “How much of beans do we carry?” If you plan on canned beans figure 60 eight to twelve ounce cans. If you get dried beans, figure ? a cup dried volume per meal, or a little over 3 gallons of dried beans. The drawback to dried beans is that they have to be soaked for 24 hours, so you will have to start soaking beans 24 hours in advance of each meal which is a pain.
While dried beans are better in the long run because the excess can be planted at your destination come warm weather, you may wish to opt for canned.
Fat.
Get a two gallon jug of Crisco. You will need it in order to cook wild game which is always extremely lean meat. You may wish to get a three pound block of lard instead. Lard would actually be better since it is a solid and can’t leak. It also tastes better, and takes up less space.
Salt.
Carry a pound box of iodized salt. You will use it at your destination or for barter. Ever wonder where salt comes from? It most likely isn’t a local product. You will be sweating a lot on this trip, so you will need salt.
Meat.
This will be provided by Mother Nature. Do you know the Cherokee word for bad hunter? Vegetarian.

Cookware. Bring a metal measuring cup. You need to measure that rice. Bring a cast iron skillet and a cast iron 2 quart pan with a lid. Get a metal serving spoon and a metal spatula. That should take care of all your cooking utensil needs.
An axe. Never be without a good axe. Get one with a hammer side if you can.
Soap. Carry a few bars. You need to bathe once a week, and daily hand washing is very important. Try to stock anti-bacterial if at all possible. Don’t carry liquid soap as it is heavier and can spill.
Radio. Get a hand powered Freeplay radio. They will pick up shortwave, weather stations, AM, and FM stations. They don’t take batteries, so that is one more thing you won’t have to bring. Also consider getting some walkie-talkies. Motorola carries some now for regular citizen use that are inexpensive, take regular alkaline or rechargeable batteries, and are encrypted. www.MOTOROLA.com (http://www.motorola.com/) and go to www.FREEPLAY.net (http://www.freeplay.net/)
Insect repellent. Get some Uncle Ben’s 100 for the older people and some Off for any infants. You can’t use high concentrations of DEET on infants and toddlers because it can cause skin irritation and seizures. Remember, spray the Off on your hand and wipe it on the kid, don’t spray it on.
Fishing tackle. You can make a fishing rig out of a bean can or a Coke can, some monofilament line, a float, and a hook. Fishing rods can get broken, so unless you are one of the lucky few with a Popeel Pocket Fisherman, you will have to improvise.
Hammock. Get a cheap fishnet hammock for every member of your party except the littlest ones. The hammocks will serve as hammocks, naturally. They will also serve as a hasty stretcher and as a hasty fishnet with the use of saplings cut for poles. You can simplify putting them up and taking them down by tying a heavy duty D ring on the end ropes. You just wind the line around the tree trunk a few times and snap the D ring onto the rope to secure it. They are cheap and will roll up into a ball the size of a man’s fist. They fit easily into a small ziplock for carrying.
Rope. Get about 20 or 30 feet of stout ? or ? inch rope. You may need it to pull the wagons or for some other unforeseen purpose. Learn some knots, the authors agree on a favorite of “Prusik Handcuffs”. www.Amazon.com (http://www.amazon.com/) will have a few good books on this subject. Buy a few and practice.
Firearms. Have a .22LR rifle at the very least. It isn’t much of a self defense weapon, but it will kill rabbits and squirrels. A 12GA shotgun is also strongly recommended with a variety of loads. A centerfire rifle is even more strongly recommended. Every able bodied member should bear a long arm on the trip, even if they don’t know how to use it. If you carry some slugs, some #1 buckshot, and some #6 shot, you can take deer as well as small game. Again, firearms are a very personal choice, so make yours wisely, and get some training.
Personal bags. Each person who can carry one should have a backpack of some sort. In addition to toilet paper, let them put whatever they want into it without comment when you leave, they will need that psychologically.
Medicine. Over the counter meds are strongly recommended if you have needed them in the past. Also make sure you get some Imodium for the treatment of diarrhea. Diarrhea can be fatal in kids. Children’s vitamins are also a good idea if they are already taking them. 18. A sewing kit. A good all purpose emergency sewing kit will weigh only a few ounces and take up less space than a pack of cards. It is good not only for suturing clothes, but skin as well in a pinch. Get one and a few extra buttons.

19. Gas mask. A gas mask, better called a protective mask, may be something an individual may consider not carrying at all. Protective masks are good for filtering out nuclear, biological, and chemical threats.

Lets talk about the three NBC scenarios.
Nuclear
They work best against a nuclear threat where they will act to keep radioactive dust out of your lungs. Since an area that has been bombed will lose most of its danger due to fallout in days, hours if there is a strong rain, this mask will be of limited usefulness. In fact, this degree of protection can be approxamated by breathing through a wet rag, and an almost identical degree of protection can be given by a cannister type painter's mask. A promaks is a good thing to have in this instance, but the remotenet possibility of an nuclear attack along with the extremely remopte chance of your encountering it may not justify the purchase of this item.

Chemical
Chemical warfare agents are difficult to make, transport, and employ. They just plain old don't work very well, and as a result it is almost an impossibility that even soldiers in a combat zone will ever encounter them much less a civilian.. A good quality mask will protect you from inhalation of toxic fumes for several hours to several days. This author uses his M17A1 principly when using insecticide. It doesn't get much use otherwise, and it isn't expected to.

Biological
In the event of a natural or man made plague a quality pro mask will provide excellent protection. Virses cannot easily pass through, bacteria certainly cannot at all. The problem here is that most likely by the time you discover there is a danger of infection, it is too late to don your pro mask.

The problem with pro masks is that they provide temporary protection. You can't live in one, so you must leave the area. Another problem is that if you have a family you may be able to protect your adult and young adult members, but infants can only be protected by “Gas Tents” that use battery powered filtrations systems, and retail at over $400 each.

A good source for these items is www.APPROVEDGASMASKS.com (mid://00000198/www.APPROVEDGASMASKS.com) and www.ASOD.org (mid://00000198/www.ASOD.org) This is another place where expensive most likely means good quality. Don't skimp if you buy one of these, it is a false economy.

Rules for traveling on foot on the road:

Smile nice. Be friendly appearing. Don’t be nasty no matter how you feel, and nobody owes you a thing, so don’t act like it. You never know who might help you out, so don’t turn them away. There are altruists in the world, be pleasant to them.

Talk nice. Be quiet, but when you speak try to sound upbeat and be overwhelmingly thankful of any assistance you get. Offer to pay if you can

Keep one hand on your weapon at all times. You never know who might be evil, and evil may be thwarted with a steel heart and an alloy pistol

cboyack
03-18-2008, 06:53 PM
The contents of my bugout bag can be downloaded at:

http://www.connorboyack.com/images/bugoutbag.pdf

Abinadi
03-22-2008, 11:13 AM
I taught a class at our Stake Emergency Preparedness Fair last night on this and 96 Hour Kits.
I encouraged them to think outside the box. If they couldn't return to home again because of a disaster what would they take with them? If they had to leave home on foot and that was how it was to be because of an EMP what would they do?
I talked about firestarters, wool, and learning how to make what they needed. I also encouraged them to get the supplies they choose and to try them out. I said it wouldn't do much good if you buy something and don't know how to use it.
Studying different ways of doing things is important. It went well.

Abinadi

arbilad
03-22-2008, 11:22 AM
I look at these long and complex lists of stuff that people put in their bug out bags, and I'm thinking that I could easily buy a year's supply of food, clothing, and fuel for less than the cost of one of these bug out bags.
Of course, I've just never caught the vision of bug out bags and 72 hour kits. Maybe that makes me a rarity amongst survival minded people. But I feel absolutely no urgency to start on a bug out bag or 72 hour kit.

mirkwood
03-22-2008, 11:43 AM
My feelings on BOB's and 72 hour kits will follow below. The car kit IMO is a better concept and if the need for a 72 hour kit arose you could use the car kit.

72 Hour Kits?Are They Really Necessary?
Why are they needed? Many people think that 72 hour kits are suggested by the church. This is inaccurate, although the church has never said not to have them either. I always ask people why they think a 72 hour kit would be needed. I am going to go through the various reasons people give for needing them and my thoughts on each. For the area of West Jordan we live in I do not think they are necessary. There are places that I think they would be a good idea, I just think for our neighborhood a kit that will get you home is a better idea. I call this a Get Home Kit and you store it in your car. This is basically the same concept as a 72 hour kit, but will get you home in the event there is a major disaster and you find yourself walking home. I will talk about them more later on. First I want to talk about the typical reasons people want 72 hour kits and why I do not think they will work in those scenarios.
Fire: If there is a fire in your home, you are not going to have time to grab a 72 hour kit. You will be busy evacuating your family. There is the possibility that you would have time to grab the 72 hour kit on your way out, but it should not be a priority. Your first responsibility will be to get your family to safety. If your house burns down, you will have friends, family and the ward that will help you out. Your insurance company will also be providing you with a place to stay.
Flood: There is not a water source in our area that would cause a flood which would create a need to evacuate. There is the possibility of your pipes breaking and flooding out part or your entire house. In that event, you will have friends, family and the ward to help out. Depending on your insurance coverage, they will be providing a place to stay. A 72 hour kit might be nice, but probably unnecessary.
Earthquake: The area we live in is assessed as a low damage area, particularly a section of our neighborhood (http://www.ugs.state.ut.us/online/pdf/pi-76.pdf). Looking at the map we can see our neighborhood falls into the pink/purple and blue color categories. Checking the color coding it shows our damage ratings from 0.2 ? 0.6. The majority of our neighborhood appears to be in the 0.3-0.5 rating which shows low damage and does not include a collapse of structures. This information is based on a 7.0 earthquake. The information listed indicates that our damage will be low and leads me to believe that we will be able to stay in our homes in the aftermath of an earthquake. If you felt the need to leave you could grab a 72 hour kit, but you would also be able to load up on supplies from your storage.
Storms/power outages: If we face a storm that knocks out the power and other utilities, where would you evacuate to? If it is wintertime, would you rather stay in your home with your stores and warm clothing or pack up and leave? A county wide disaster will not leave you anywhere to go unless you have family nearby that you can reach. You would be better off staying home and riding out the storms. All your supplies and warm clothing will be in your home and anywhere else you evacuate too will probably have the same utility loss problems as your home. Unless there is some sort of hazard to your home you are likely to be better off staying home.
Terrorism: The Park Stake is a very unlikely target for terrorism. The most likely threat that we could face in a terrorist attack is a biological attack, dirty bombs or a car bomb. Terrorists would be looking for a target that would cause mass casualties like in the downtown area. Jordan Landing would be a large target, but not like the downtown area. Any attack of a terrorist nature in the downtown area is very unlikely to affect us. Radiation from a dirty bomb is unlikely to come anywhere near us, just as a biological attack is unlikely to reach us. Infected people from a biological attack would probably be quarantined before they could spread out of the initial attack area. If the contagion spread we could all quarantine ourselves in our homes. Car bombs in any area but our immediate vicinity will not affect us at all. Again for our area, the need for a 72 hour kit related to a terrorist attack would probably be unnecessary.
War: If an army was marching through Salt Lake County we would probably flee from our homes. In the unlikely event this happened, there would be forewarning and we would be taking far more then three days of supplies with us. I do not think this is a likely scenario.
The Prophet: If a call from the prophet came telling us we had a few minutes to grab some things and leave, a 72 hour kit would be good to have. However, any such announcement from the prophet would take time to circulate through the wards and stakes of the valley and you would have time to gather some things to take with you.

So What Would Be Better To Have?
A far more useful item for us in our area is what I call a Car Kit or Get Home Kit that stays in your car. The idea behind a car kit is having supplies that will help you get home in the event a disaster occurs while you are away from home. If you are at work or are out shopping when an earthquake or some other major disaster strikes it would be better to have a kit in your car that helps you get home. In the event of a major earthquake this county is going to be wrecked. An earthquake of disastrous magnitude will destroy the road system making it impossible to drive. If somehow the roads are still open, they will be so packed with traffic as to make vehicular traffic improbable. You would be better off by planning on walking home from wherever you are. I plan for a two day walk home. I believe a healthy adult can walk anywhere in the county in about two days. If you have small kids, you can plan on that taking even longer and should plan your kit(s) with that in mind.
The kinds of food items you want in your kit are things that can take extreme temperatures for an extended length of time without degrading their nutritional value. I have used MRE?s (http://beprepared.com/category.asp_Q_c_E_100) in the past, but over the course of a summer in the trunk they are cooking and cooling every single day. This quickly degrades the taste, texture and nutritional value of the food. The Coast Guard uses the Mainstay Calorie Bar (http://beprepared.com/search.asp?t=ss&ss=mainstay) as their emergency food storage on their ships. The biggest benefit to this item is the five year shelf life at any temperature between -40 deg F to 300 def F. They are also non thirst promoting. They come in three sizes, but I recommend the 3600 calorie bar. They can be purchased at Emergency Essentials for $6.95. One of these would give you two days at 1800 calories. Personally I have two in my kit plus a few Power Bars (http://www.powerbar.com). I make sure that I rotate the Power Bars regularly to maintain their nutritional value because I store my kit in the trunk of my car. Roughly every six months I have new ones in my kit. I also keep four 1 pint water bottles. I also suggest keeping a pair of durable pants, a t-shirt, a pair of shoes you are comfortable walking long distances in, a spare set of shoelaces, two pair of socks and a good fixed blade knife. I generally do not worry about winter gear because I will already have winter items with me if it is wintertime. If you do not normally have winter gloves and hat, I would suggest adding a pair of wool liner gloves which can be purchased at any grocery store for a couple dollars and a wool watch cap, which can be purchased at any department type store for around five dollars. These can be added into the kit and take little space. You could also add a woolen blanket to your kit. I like the fixed blade knife because it is a versatile tool which may come in handy.
I would also keep a small amount of cash inside the kit as well. A small zip lock baggie with $10-20 in one dollar bills would be a good idea. You could also use the mini M&M tubes to hold quarters. Each tube will hold about $14 in quarters. These are simple to store in the kit and provide some emergency cash. Small bills are a must so that you do not have to pay for a one dollar item with a twenty and not get any change back. Remember, if you are forced to use your car kit, there probably is not any power and your debit cards, credit cards and ATM card will not be working. It is also unlikely that a check would be accepted.
All these items should be stored in some kind of backpack. This keeps your hands free for any other activities you may have to perform. A school backpack is a poor choice but if that is your only option it is better then nothing. There are a great many options available that are highly durable. There are companies that manufacture packs for the military that are highly durable and have been tested in the field with good results. I like Blackhawk (http://www.blackhawk.com/category1.asp?D=D0064&S=&C=&N=1&pricestart=&priceend=), Tactical Assault Gear (https://tacticalassaultgearstore.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWCATS&Category=10), and Camelback (http://www.camelbak.com/index.cfm). All three companies have quality products with good reputations. There are many other options out there, these just happen to be my personal preferences. There are also companies that manufacture packs for hiking and camping, again with good reputations. These are highly durable packs and will withstand the wear and tear of riding in the trunk of your vehicle. This may not sound like a big deal, but a school type backpack will be worn after a year or so of riding around in the trunk. This can result in dumping out the contents of your kit when you go to put it on. If you buy a $10 backpack that is what you will get. It is better to pay a little more for an item that will hold up in the event you need it. There are also a few less expensive options in packs that will serve you well, but lack some of the extra features in the more expensive packs. My choice of less expensive packs are the German Mountain Rucksack (http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/links/link.jsp?id=0026022516442a&type=product&cmCat=search&returnPage=search-results1.jsp&QueryText=german&N=4887&Ntk=Products&Ntx=mode+matchall&Nty=1&Ntt=german&noImage=0) and the US Army ALICE Pack (http://www.actiongear.com/cgi-bin/tame.exe/agcatalog/level4s.tam?xax=1534&M5COPY%2Ectx=7056&M5%2Ectx=3008&M2%5FDESC%2Ectx=Field%20Packs%20%2D%20Army%20ALICE %2C%20Tactical%2C%20LBE%20%2D%20Load%20Bearing%20G ear%2C%20Accessories&level3%2Ectx=results%2Etam&query%2Ectx=alice%20pack&backto=%2Fagcatalog%2Fresults%2Etam).
After you build your kit you need to try it on and walk around with if for a little while. This will give you an idea on the weight and balance of the pack. You need to make sure your pack will work for you. If it is too heavy you will need to make some adjustments so that you can actually carry your supplies.
Let me also add these final thoughts on 72 hour kits. I am not opposed to the idea of 72 hour kits I just feel for our neighborhood a Car Kit is a better idea. Personally I also have 72 hour kits in my home and I believe there are areas that a 72 hour kit in addition to a Car Kit is a good idea. You can find some good information on 72 hour kits on my website (http://www.rogmo.com/72_hr_kits.html), including how I built my personal kits (http://www.rogmo.com/100.html). Personally I prefer to build my own kits, but some people would rather go out and buy one. I have seen two sites where I thought the pre-made kits were any good. They can be found at Totally Ready (http://www.totallyready.com) and Emergency Essentials (http://beprepared.com/category.asp_Q_c_E_120_A_name_E_EmergencyKits). I like what I see of the contents a bit better at Totally Ready though I would still add the Mainstay Calorie Bar. The only thing I am unsure with both companies is the backpack because it does not list who makes them. If I had to pick between the two I would go with Totally Ready and add a Mainstay Calorie Bar.

Abinadi
04-14-2008, 04:45 PM
With all these things in the bag, has anyone tried to carry it for distances yet? If one had to pack their packs for miles could they do it?
I am still working on mine starting with the very essentails and working up.

Abinadi

silverstate51
09-27-2008, 02:54 PM
I have made it a habit to make my BOB a part of my exercise routine. Nothing says be sensible and build up to hauling long on the long haul like a 45 lb pack on a 50 year old body.

waif69
09-29-2008, 07:42 AM
"Humping a ruck" can take a lot out of you if you don't do it regularly. I, unfortunately, haven't done such in about 5 year, but after reading this thread has reminded me to get out there and add some weight to my back and take some off the belly. Good reminder.

phylm
09-29-2008, 02:59 PM
For you younger folks, good luck with the buggin' out, and my prayers are with you. As for us, well.... I used to hike the Long Trail in the mountains of Vermont, with or without my children or my camp kids, and carried one of the two backpacks of supplies we carried for a 3-4 day hike. (My junior counselor, accompanying us, carried the other.) I could have carried enough for a 3 week hike for myself with no trouble. Now, I take a cane to make it the quarter mile to our mailbox, so no bugout for us. Here we make our stand, and here we stay. My 78 year old husband is coming through a serious, dangerous infection in his leg successfully, and our cousin's husband has also come through a quadruple by-pass operation this past week, too, and came home today. I am so grateful to my Heavenly Father for the gospel in our lives, for the restored priesthood, and for the prayers of the faithfful, and especially for the wonderful privelege of attending and for being able to serve in the temple. He has promised us that we need not be afraid if we only believe in Him and remain faithful. I believe Him.

arbilad
11-16-2011, 05:12 PM
Bump

constable01
11-16-2011, 06:11 PM
Get a "Buckbuggie" (their are comparable carts with diffrent names)basically for those who know they can't carry all their gear on their back if they have to hoof it. It is basically a Large game cart capable of being pulled across rough terrain due to having mountain bike tires, it carries a couple hundred pounds or more depending on size.