PDA

View Full Version : Started some seeds!

mrs_thermocouple
02-27-2008, 12:25 PM
I started some seeds yesterday in peat pots. Lettuce, tomatoes, onions, broccoli and herbs. Can't wait for them to pop up! Anybody else start seeds yet?

Spring, I'm ready for you!

LarnaE
02-27-2008, 07:00 PM
I want to plant peas this year. I know from experience that it is bad to plant them in late June. How early can I plan them? Also, I want to plant some strawberry plants. Can I do that in the spring? I am in SLC Ut.

Julie
02-27-2008, 07:14 PM
I just through planting my peas. I'm a little late but I think I'll be just fine.

Larna I don't know when to do peas in the Salt Lake area. You can probably find your planting schedule on the internet or call your county extension office.

mrs_thermocouple
02-27-2008, 07:51 PM
I don't know for SURE. But I think peas can be started directly outside. So I personally would wait til after the last frost. Same w/strawberry plants.

Here's a website I got from Cloudy. It has a LOT of great info on it about gardening.
http://www.gardeners.com/When+to+Start+Your+Seeds/5215,default,pg.html

phylm
02-29-2008, 10:22 PM
We live in NW Florida. Started peas in garden a couple of weeks ago. They are up about 5 inches, and two nights ago we got a real freeze. My husband had put on the overhead irrigation, and the pea fence was hung with icycles, and when they melted and dropped, they fell on the peas! No damage, and the peas are doing fine.

Oldtimers used to plant peas in Vermont in the late fall, and let them come up in the spring. Our last frost date here in this part of Fla. is March 15th. Hope this is of some help. Peas love cool weather.

phylm
02-29-2008, 10:27 PM
Here's a "PS" on the strawberries. We had two 70 foot rows of strawberries that went through that freeze okay, also. Again, we had the irrigation on. Have green berries on the plants, and no damage. I have planted them in spring and in fall, with good results. A little frost won't hurt them.

Actually, wild strawberries "grow" all winter under the snow. Indians used to harvest leaves from them on windswept winter slopes to use for tea...a very good source of Vitamin C.

dlcorrell
03-01-2008, 05:51 PM
Peas like it cold. I always start mine early, along with carrots, onions and other cold crops.

Donna

mrs_thermocouple
03-04-2008, 02:33 PM
A lot of my seeds are coming up in my mini greenhouses! Yay! I'm so excited. I can't wait til it's warm enough to start my garden outside.

prairiemom
03-12-2008, 09:52 AM
Hi--I'm new here so I just saw this thread. Since I love to garden, I thought I'd respond.

What mini-greenhouse are you using? I'm looking at a couple--one is a pop-up greenhouse--and I can't decide.

I've been starting seeds indoors for about 8 yrs now and every year I try to do it a little better (and bigger! This year I will go from 4 flats to 8, if I get my greenhouse.) But I won't start them until next week--we still have 4 ft of snow in our yard! I can't wait. I've got the spring bug BAD.

katcan
03-12-2008, 01:26 PM
Peas, onions, carrots can all go in now. You can start a new crop every two weeks. Peas won't last once the heat comes.

Laura
03-12-2008, 02:11 PM
Ummmm, I'll have to check with my master gardner....my hubby. With three feet of snow still on the ground and moose still living in our yards......I'm thinking maybe not for us. :-)

He loves to garden and he loves to start everything in side.......

katcan
03-12-2008, 02:39 PM
Sorry, I guess now is relative to your location....

mrs_thermocouple
03-13-2008, 11:10 AM
Hi--I'm new here so I just saw this thread. Since I love to garden, I thought I'd respond.

What mini-greenhouse are you using? I'm looking at a couple--one is a pop-up greenhouse--and I can't decide.

I've been starting seeds indoors for about 8 yrs now and every year I try to do it a little better (and bigger! This year I will go from 4 flats to 8, if I get my greenhouse.) But I won't start them until next week--we still have 4 ft of snow in our yard! I can't wait. I've got the spring bug BAD.

I buy "Jiffy-7" Mini Greenhouses from Walmart's garden section. I believe Home Depot or Lowes will have them too. I buy the ones that fit 12 Jiffy-7 Pellets, this why these greenhouses fit perfectly on my sunny window sill. You can also get these at www.jiffypot.com.

mrs_thermocouple
03-13-2008, 11:11 AM
Ummmm, I'll have to check with my master gardner....my hubby. With three feet of snow still on the ground and moose still living in our yards......I'm thinking maybe not for us. :-)

He loves to garden and he loves to start everything in side.......

You still have 3 feet of snow?!?!? Where are you at?