PDA

View Full Version : Good Eats

plantkiller
11-19-2008, 10:28 AM
There was an episode of good eats on a while back, I think the title was "Ill-gotten grains".. they had a recipe in there for Wheat Berry Tapanade, which we made the other day.. and it was GREAT! I didn't get to watch the whole episode, but I wonder if any of the other recipes that were made on that show were as good as this one?

Wheat <st1><st1:state w:st="on">Berry</st1:state></st1> Tapanade

<o></o>3 cloves garlic, minced<o></o>
1 cup pitted and finely chopped Kalamata olives<o></o>
1 teaspoon salt<o></o>
1/2 teaspoon <st1><st1:city w:st="on">Dijon</st1:city></st1> mustard<o></o>
1 cup fully cooked wheat berries<o></o>

In a bowl combine all ingredients. Serve with crusty bread, on a salad or on its own

(I omitted the salt, figuring that the olives were salty enough)

waif69
11-20-2008, 09:33 AM
That looks good. I am going to try the following this weekend, it is from the same episode.

Mushroom Wheat Berry Pilaf
Prep Time:15 min
Cook Time:25 min
Level: Easy
Serves: 6 servings as a side dish

2 teaspoons olive oil
1 1/2 cups onion, chopped
1/2 teaspoon salt
5 cloves garlic, minced
1 tablespoon butter
1 pound mushrooms, sliced
1 tablespoon soy sauce
1/4 cup red wine
1/4 cup chicken broth
1 1/2 cups cooked wheat berries
1 1/2 cups leftover, cooked rice
1/2 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves, chopped
1 teaspoon fresh rosemary leaves, chopped
1 teaspoon lemon zest, finely chopped
Pepper and additional salt

Heat olive oil in large saute pan over low heat. Add onions and salt and sweat until soft, about 10 minutes. Add garlic and continue cooking for 5 minutes. Add butter to pan and melt. Add mushrooms, and soy sauce, increase heat to medium and continue cooking for 5 to 10 minutes, until mushrooms release their liquid. Add wine and chicken broth and simmer 5 minutes, until wine begins to evaporate. Add wheat berries, rice, thyme, rosemary, and lemon rind to heat through. Adjust seasoning, to taste