PDA

View Full Version : Pyramid Tents

thermocouple
02-28-2008, 09:17 PM
I love pyramid tents, they are fantastic structures because they are so ridiculously simple and still so effective. A pyramid tent comes in two basic styles, regular and modified. A regular pyramid tent is made of high quality canvas, and uses just one single center pole for support. The base of the canvas is staked out at specific stake points, and when the center pole is erected the resulting tent is fairly roomy. Because of the simplicity of the design, even in fierce storms there's simply not much a storm can do to a well made, properly erected pyramid tent. As with other canvas structures, they can accomodate a wood burning stove just fine.

A properly erected pyramid tent is staked out in a way that produces nice, taught walls when the center pole is raised (see bottom picture below). These structures are very fast and simple to set up, and can be done by one person. If for some reason your pole is damaged or broken, it's simply a matter of finding another peice of branch or wood and cut it to the appropriate length.

These tents sometimes come with additional flaps attached to the outside of the canvas. These flaps serve as awnings, and can be dropped in the event if heavy winds.

A modified pyramid tent is built on the same principle as a pyramid tent, but with a "ridge pole" attached horizontally to the top of your center pole. This modification significanly increases the internal space of your structure. I have seen them in sizes up to 18x20. Although I dont necessarily "need" another tent, I wouldnt mind picking up one of these.

Regular pyramid tent:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v19/cbatson73/pyramidtent.jpg

Modified pyramid tent:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v19/cbatson73/modified-small.jpg

LarnaE
02-28-2008, 10:37 PM
Is their a web site. Our camping tent has seen its last summer and I would really like to get something that will last. What is the price?

thermocouple
02-28-2008, 10:59 PM
You can buy them online through Redhawk Trading.
http://www.redhawk-trading.com/modified-tent.htm

Or if you are here in Utah I can talk to some people at an upcoming rendezvous (in Ogden on Easter weekend).

Abinadi
03-05-2008, 02:10 PM
Who else has used this tent? How does it do in the dead of winter? summer? heavy rains?

Abinadi

thermocouple
03-05-2008, 03:00 PM
Abinadi,
I dont own one of these, but I take my family to Mountain Man Rendezvous at least twice a year, where there are many of these structures set up. Many are built to accomodate wood burning stoves. When pitched nice and taught, they shed wind and rain like a tipi. If my 22' tipi wasnt my primary shelter, this would be my next choice. I dont even need another shelter right now, and I am still itching to get one of these. Great, simple shelters.

BTW, I sent you a PM

sarge712
03-05-2008, 03:42 PM
I have one from Kifaru that came with a collapsible stove. I love it. Check it out at kifaru.com. The Marine Corps Mountain Warfare School was using the stoves but I am not sure about now. They loved them and really did the trick in the California Sierras. I will post the link.

sarge712
03-05-2008, 03:51 PM
Here 'tis:

http://www.kifaru.net/TIPI.HTM

I lay down a tarp and plan on using a wood floor for longer set-ups. I haven't used it in the snow yet. I will never go back to a regular tent.I just wish it was a subdued color. Any ideas besides spray paint (increased flammability and smell)? The cool thing is that once you get a look at it, you could easily build another with a parachute. The stove is great especially when you consider its light weight and collapsibility.

I have an 8 man tent and there are seven of us and there is still plenty of room for cots, packs and gear.

Abinadi
03-05-2008, 05:35 PM
Sarge712 do you have one of these tipi's?

In checking the website they look very interesting. I like how they can stand against gale winds and stay put.

Abinadi

sarge712
03-05-2008, 10:00 PM
I have owned one for approx 4 years and it has held up in a heavy rain storm with high winds but I wouldn't say it was "gale force" though. These are used all over the world and come with some super overkill tiedowns and pegs. You can also raise or lower it to lessen its profile to catch less wind resistance. I think it would hold up better than most others. I want another for the kids so Mom and I have some privacy. Its the best tent I have ever owned and I have owned over a half dozen over the past 30 years. I don't break out the others anymore. I only use the Kifaru even if its just me by myself.

thermocouple
03-06-2008, 08:35 AM
Those are really great looking tents Sarge, made even better by the fact that you currently own and use one. I think I will create a thread dedicated specifically to these Kifaru tipis.

Abinadi
03-06-2008, 01:51 PM
Please do a thread on these tents.

Abinadi