PDA

View Full Version : Olive Oil Lamp Kits

signseeker
12-08-2008, 10:05 AM
What do you think of the olive oil lamp kits that you use with a pint-sized canning jar?

Here's some for sale and a good picture...

http://www.ksl.com/index.php?nid=218&ad=4995988&cat=61&lpid=1

signseeker
12-09-2008, 08:16 AM
It's probably just easier to load up on candles and save your olive oil for cooking. After the holidays and different times they are probably cheaper, too.

signseeker
12-09-2008, 08:17 AM
Yeah, you're probably right. Put your candle by a mirror and get twice as much light. :thumbup:

Aldon
12-09-2008, 08:57 AM
I find that the most interesting, intelligent and handsome fellow I have conversations with is myself:)

Seriously, this is on my list of items to check out but time is, as the song states, slippin slippin .....

LoudmouthMormon
12-09-2008, 11:22 AM
I'm a big fan of cheap WalMart solar-powered landscape lighting. They've been getting better and cheaper over the last 2-3 years. Now, even though we have a completely cloudy stormy day, they still charge up enough for an hour or two.

However, I doubt I'll ever trust technology enough, to abandon such lo-tech staples as the candle or oil lamp.

LM

Aldon
12-09-2008, 12:12 PM
These look easy to make.

Does anyone know what kind of wicj=king material would be best?

I have the jars and oil and I can strip some 12-2 electrical wire to make the wick holder.....

Toni
12-09-2008, 12:48 PM
I actually like mine very much. Mine wasn't a kit though. It was from Lehman's lehmans.com They didn't give out as much light as I expected but I like the fact that if they tip over they go out (no fire hazard). Considering my two oldest siblings were fried in a fire when only 1 1/2 and 3 years old, I am rather partial to something safe. The stored fuel is also not a fire hazard and you can use the oil even if it is rancid. We use them when the electricity goes out.

I got a little book about it when I bought the lamps and they suggested experimenting with other food oils to see what would burn and what you'd like best. I have never tried anything but olive oil in them, though.

Toni
12-09-2008, 12:54 PM
These look easy to make.

Does anyone know what kind of wicj=king material would be best?

I have the jars and oil and I can strip some 12-2 electrical wire to make the wick holder.....

I believe the wicking material is 100% cotton. The wick holder is built in such a way that if you squeeze the handle, it opens a bit so you can slide the wick up or down. I'd recommend going to the Lehmans' (pronounced "laymans" when they answer their phone - I've done a lot of business with them) anyway, go to the Lehman's website and look at the pictures of the olive oil lamps. I believe they also sell the wick holders. I know they sell the wicks because I bought some extra.

Toni
12-09-2008, 01:00 PM
I'm a big fan of cheap WalMart solar-powered landscape lighting. They've been getting better and cheaper over the last 2-3 years. Now, even though we have a completely cloudy stormy day, they still charge up enough for an hour or two.

However, I doubt I'll ever trust technology enough, to abandon such lo-tech staples as the candle or oil lamp.

LM

Actually, I bought one of those solar powered lights and my dh was very politely negative about them so I didn't put it out to charge. I was going to wait until he went back to Texas but the directions (if I remember correctly) wanted the battery charged in the sun for 12 hours the first time and when he left the days were much shorter than that - so it is waiting for longer days to be used.

I also have a light that you plug into an outlet. While in the outlet, it is off except for a little red light. When the electricity goes out or the light is unplugged, it goes on. It stays on for an hour or two. I really like it but I can't remember where I got it and cannot find another one. Of course, this only works for temporary outages.

signseeker
12-09-2008, 01:52 PM
I'd recommend going to the Lehmans' (pronounced "laymans" .

Yeah, well... it's a little late for that now. I've been pronouncing it Lee-man's in my head for too long...

signseeker
12-09-2008, 01:52 PM
By the way, I plan on sticking with candles. :l0 (51):

Toni
12-09-2008, 02:53 PM
By the way, I plan on sticking with candles. :l0 (51):

That's okay. :thumbup:

I've been collecting candles, too. The "freestanding" ones have melted on us too often during the summer so I have been getting ones that are in glass containers. That way, when the weather gets hot and they melt, they're still usable. And they're fat so they don't tip over. ... I suppose if you were real talented you could make them tip over. :l0 (46):

signseeker
12-09-2008, 02:56 PM
I bet my 2yo has that talent... just a hunch. :001_unsure:

Toni
12-09-2008, 03:11 PM
I bet my 2yo has that talent... just a hunch. :001_unsure:

Absolutely! 2 yr olds have great talent in that area.:l0 (46):

LoudmouthMormon
12-09-2008, 05:21 PM
Fact 1: You can't fall off the floor.

Fact 2 : It takes most 2 yr olds at least 1 year to discover fact 1.

signseeker
12-09-2008, 05:33 PM
So what's the difference between falling off and falling on?

Toni
12-09-2008, 06:13 PM
Maybe the floor is so big and the walls keep you from falling off? Unless there are stairs in a doorway, of course.

waif69
12-09-2008, 07:50 PM
When I used to drink, I used to fall off the floor, or the deck; however that was usually after liberty ended.

Buffie
08-18-2009, 05:50 PM
I have several kerosene lamps, some from the 1800s, but my DH hates the smell. I just ordered odorless fuel from Lehman's. That place is incredible. Also, if you want a safe light, don't forget the glo stick. It's not a burning fire, not toxic, and your child can chew it or drop it safely. Only problem is they're usually $1 to $1.25 each.

jonjra
10-05-2009, 06:24 PM
Hi, I a new here, but I find olive oil lanterns to be VERY inexpensive to operate, much cheaper than candles. I have been trying different ones, you can go to the http://wickstore.com and look at floating candles. I got the Bulk Floating Candle Pack-100 Floats 500 Wicks, I find each wick last about 8 hours, you might use 2 tablespoons tops of vegetable oil in that 8 hours, I will buy it in bulk at costcos, vegetable oil lamps though, are not as bright, or not as hot as normal lamp oil (paraffin) but a 100 times cheaper. I would not be afraid to experiment. or maybe you guys just get candles alot cheaper than here in the big city. I also order from http://www.lehmans.com/ , love that place, me and the Wife took a long drive there this past summer, you really do have to drive carfull because of all the horse and buggies of the local Amish, the Amish outnumber the non Amish, you share the main road with them.

Toni
10-06-2009, 11:28 AM
I prefer olive oil lamps also. I never thought to see how long the oil lasts, but it does seem to last a long time (except for the lamp we lost the lid for). I like them because they won't start a fire if tipped over (I probably already said that on this thread) and because you can use rancid (inedible) oil in them.