PDA

View Full Version : Christmas GOODIES!!

signseeker
12-10-2008, 11:04 AM
So, what's some yummy goodies you all like during the C-mas time?

We had this pie for Thanksgiving and it disappeared first...

LEMON CREAM PIE

One baked pie crust.

Mix one container marshmallow creme and one package cream cheese. Add 2/3 to 3/4 of this to bottom of crust. (You can use leftover for dessert "cups" in the fridge... single servings.)

Combine prepared instant lemon pudding (small box) made with 2 C. whole milk with equal amount of real whipped cream. Whip it until mixer goes from "wheeeee" to "whrrrrrrr" - nice and thick. Spoon some of this in pie next. Spoon leftovers into cups for fridge.

Spoon plain whipped cream on top of pie.

LarnaE
12-10-2008, 12:49 PM
Yesterday I made fudge, carmels, peanut brittle, and english toffee. They are some of my favorites.

signseeker
12-10-2008, 01:08 PM
Hello....? Recipes, people!! :yummie:

Especially the fudge, please. :l0 (14):

Earthling
12-10-2008, 01:39 PM
I posted a toffee recipe last week under the recipe forum that won an award at the Utah Chocolate show.

Here is the brownie recipe I used to win the Taste of Home brownie contest.

FUDGY MOUSSE BROWNIES

4 Sq. (1 oz ea) unsweetened chocolate
3/4 cup margarine or butter
2 cups sugar
3 eggs
1 tsp. Vanilla
1 cup flour
1 cup coarsely chopped walnuts

Melt unsweetened chocolate and margarine in saucepan or microwave. Stir until chocolate is completely melted. Stir the sugar into the chocolate until well blended. Add the eggs and vanilla. Stir in the flour and nuts until well blended. Spread in a greased foil-lined 9x13" pan. Bake 350 degrees for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out with fudgy crumbs. Cool.

Mousse Topping: Melt 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips, 4 tbsp. Water, 2 tbsp. Margarine. Cool. Whip 1 cup cream. Fold chocolate into whipped cream. Spread on cooled brownies. Optional: Drizzle ? cup melted semi-sweet chocolate chips over mousse.

Earthling
12-10-2008, 01:41 PM
I like this chocolate cake - it is kind of a pudding cake and you make it in the crockpot:

TRIPLE CHOCOLATE CROCKPOT DEVASTATION

1 pkg chocolate fudge cake mix
1 cup sour cream
1 sm 3oz. pkg instant chocolate pudding mix
1 1/2 cups semi sweet chocolate chips
3/4 cup oil
4 eggs
3/4 cup water

Spray medium crock pot with cooking spray or lightly grease. Mix ingredients together until smooth. Pour into crock pot. Cover and cook on low 6-8 hours or on high 3-4 hours. Serve hot or warm with vanilla ice cream or whipped topping. Serves 24.

Earthling
12-10-2008, 01:42 PM
A trifle for chocolate lovers:

CHOCOLATE CELEBRATION

21 1/2 oz pkg brownie mix
2 cups cold milk
sm pkg (4 serving size) instant chocolate pudding
8 oz frozen whipped topping, unthawed
2 bananas, sliced
2 cups strawberries, sliced
3 ? 1.4 oz. Chocolate covered English toffee bars, chopped

Prepare and bake brownie mix as directed on package. Cool. Cut in ? inch squares.
Prepare pudding mix according to pkg instructions using 2 cups milk. Let stand 5 minutes. Fold in 2 cups whipped topping. Chill one hour.
Place in the bottom of a 3-4 qt trifle dish or lg glass salad bowl half of the brownie squares, bananas, strawberries, and pudding mixture. Repeat layers. Top with remaining whipped topping and chopped candy bars. Chill one hour or until ready to serve. Serves 24.

Earthling
12-10-2008, 01:45 PM
This tastes like something from an expensive, fancy pastry shops. I use it to impress my French son-in-law.

STRAWBERRY WHITE CHOCOLATE NAPOLEONS

1 sheet frozen ready-to-bake puff pastry, thawed
1 cup white chocolate chips
1 1/2 cups cream
1 1/2 cups sliced strawberries

Unfold pastry sheet on lightly floured surface. Cut into 3 strips, place on baking sheet and bake at 400 for 15 minutes until golden. Remove from sheet and cool.
Microwave white chocolate and 1/4 cup of the cream for 30 - 60 seconds on medium until chocolate is soft. Stir until melted & smooth. Cool. Whip remaining 1 1/4 cups cream in medium bowl until soft peaks form. Fold cooled chocolate mixture into cream just until blended.
Split each pastry sheet into two layers. Spread white chocolate filling and strawberries on bottom layer. Top with remaining pastry sheets. Dust with powdered sugar or drizzle 1/2 cup melted chocolate chips on top. Chill until serving. Serves 12.

Earthling
12-10-2008, 01:46 PM
Here is the non-crockpot version. Some of you might know this recipe by a naughty name.

TRIPLE CHOCOLATE DEVASTATION

1 pkg chocolate fudge cake mix
1 cup sour cream
1 sm 3oz. pkg instant chocolate pudding mix
1 1/2 cups semi sweet chocolate chips
1/2 cup oil
4 eggs
1/2 cup water

Mix ingredients together until smooth. Pour mixture into a well-greased bundt pan. Bake 350 for 45-50 minutes. Let sit 10 minutes then invert onto a serving platter. Dust powdered sugar on top and serve cold or serve hot with vanilla ice cream or whipped topping. Serves 24.

signseeker
12-10-2008, 02:49 PM
:

TRIPLE CHOCOLATE CROCKPOT DEVASTATION

Serves 24.

Holy freaking @#$%!!! :l0 (57):

Serves 24? Haaa-I don't think so!

Hey, does anyone have a recipe for cookies that have ... ?
1. Oatmeal
2. Molasses
3. Cloves (or another combo that gives them an awesome hearty smell)

signseeker
12-10-2008, 02:55 PM
Some of you might know this recipe by a naughty name.

TRIPLE CHOCOLATE DEVASTATION

"Better than sex" ? But that was more with cream and chocolate and sort of a graham cracker layer thing going on.

What's the name... you can tell us. :wink (3):

Earthling
12-10-2008, 06:11 PM
"Better than sex" ? But that was more with cream and chocolate and sort of a graham cracker layer thing going on.

What's the name... you can tell us. :wink (3):

Yup - the name is Better Than Sex Cake. I haven't heard of the one you mentioned but this recipe was called that all over Southern California.

I just didn't want to get into a discussion of whether is really was or not . . . :crazy:

signseeker
12-14-2008, 01:00 AM
So what does everyone eat for C-mas? We are pretty much doing a repeat of Thanksgiving. We generally eat turkey.

Earthling
12-14-2008, 05:57 PM
We have tons of appetizers and goodies Christmas Eve - can't even hardly taste everything!

Christmas Day we have ham, funeral potatoes, cinnamon apple jelly salad (tastes like candied apples), homemade rolls, peas & carrots (frozen), and a disgustingly decadent dessert (usually chocolate raspberry something). It is a good but easy meal so the day isn't spent cooking like Thanksgiving. Everything is made the day before.

Christmas breakfast we have a traditional overnight omelet that I also make the day before and then just pop in the oven on Christmas morning. I tried to do overnight French Toast one year - the kids had a fit so I did both.

Earthling
12-14-2008, 05:58 PM
another good holiday recipe we enjoy is:

GINGERBREAD PANCAKES

2 ? cups flour
5 tablespoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
? teaspoon ground giner
? cup molasses
2 cups milk
2 eggs
6 tablespoons butter or margarine, melted
1 cup raisins, optional

Combine all ingredients except raisins in a large mixing bowl. Beat with a mixer until well blended. Stir in raisins if desired. Spoon ? cup batter on a lightly oiled hot grill. Grill until lightly browned on both sides. Serve with butter and maple syrup.

signseeker
12-14-2008, 06:16 PM
We're having the "big dinner" on Christmas Eve this year.

As far as Christmas breakfast goes... see, I'm going to confess something here and I want you all to promise not to tell a single soul. Promise? Okay... I hate cooking on C-mas morning cuz I miss everything that's going on!!! I have to have the video going and even skipping between kiddo's I always miss some expression or expletive or something - there's no way I'm going to be in the kitchen. I'm just not doing it. Maybe when they are older. A 2 and 4 and 6 year old on C-mas morning is just too intense to miss.

Sooo... last year we started a "tradition" - and yes, I've informed DH it is indeed now a tradition, of going to Denny's for breakfast!!! Can you top this?!?! I mean, think of it - everyone gets what they want... pancakes, hash browns, biscuits and gravy, french toast, omelets, whatever. Everyone can have their favorite thing. And NO ONE has to do dishes! Whooooo! We go, come back home, and continue playing with our new stuff! It's totally awesome. It's worth the $. At least to me, at this stage of life and with my fragile mental state and all...

(If you recall what day of the week C-mas was last year, you'll know what a sinner I am. Didn't miss Church though, Church was at 1pm. And anyway, I don't miss Church.)

Julie
12-14-2008, 07:55 PM
Ok Earthling,
I need the recipe for your cinnamon apple jelly salad and your overnight omelet.:001_sdrool::001_sdrool:

Earthling
12-15-2008, 12:30 PM
Enjoy! We love this - one of the few recipes that get repeated at our house:

CINNAMON APPLE JELLO SALAD

In large bowl add 1 cup boiling water to 3 oz. pkg. cherry jello and 1/4 cup cinnamon red hot candies. Stir until jello and candies are dissolved. (If needed put the bowl in the microwave for a minute on high to get the candies to dissolve.) Chill until the jello is almost set.

Whip thickened jello on low speed with an electric hand mixer for a minute. Gradually beat in 1 cup chilled evaporated milk. Mix on high speed until the mixture is light and double in volume. Fold in 1 1/2 cups diced eating apples (red delicious, gala, Braeburn, etc), 1 cup miniature marshmallows, and 1/2 cup chopped walnuts. Chill until firm, about 3-4 hours. You can peel the apples or not - your choice.

Earthling
12-15-2008, 12:37 PM
I love this recipe because it is made the day before and then just popped in the oven on Christmas morning. Serve it along with some orange juice and nothing else is needed. It gives everyone a nice dose of protein (eggs) before they start eating junk. Signseeker: serve it on paper plates and you won't lose the hour of Christmas morning going to eat out.

HAM & CHEESE EGG SOUFFLE

Generously coat a 9x12? pan with margarine. Make the souffl? by layering ingredients in the pan in the order shown. Each layer should cover the whole pan.

1st layer ? white sandwich bread (break bread if needed to cover the bottom of the whole pan).
Smash the bread down.
2nd layer ? 1/2 to 3/4 lb. cheddar cheese, sliced
3rd layer ? 5 oz. sliced ham, cut in ?? pieces
4th layer ? 6 oz. pkg. sliced Swiss cheese
5th layer ? cover pan with another tight layer of sandwich bread and smash down.
6th layer - 5 oz. sliced ham, cut in ?? pieces
7th layer - 1/2 to 3/4 lb. cheddar cheese, grated

Mash the layers down again to seal it together. Pierce layers with a fork or small knife to make entry points for the egg mixture to permeate the layers.

Beat 9 eggs, 3 cups milk, ? tsp. salt, ? tsp. pepper together. Pour over the top. Cover pan with aluminum foil and refrigerate overnight or up to 24 hours. In the morning remove the foil and bake at 350 degree for one hour. It is done when the top is browned and the egg mixture is not runny. It will be a little spongy until it cools (about 15 minutes) and sets up.

Earthling
12-15-2008, 12:42 PM
(If you recall what day of the week C-mas was last year, you'll know what a sinner I am.

I am truly shocked. :a0: Let's keep the true confessions down - you are wrecking your image. (wink)

signseeker
12-16-2008, 02:07 AM
Dude. Just keeping it real. 'Sides, I don't want you guys thinking I'm really cool or something... :cool (2):

And how is going out to eat "losing an hour"??? :001_smad:

Earthling
12-16-2008, 08:50 AM
Signseeker - cause you spend an hour going out to eat.:) See it's that driving, ordering, waiting for the order, the check, etc. We eat the omelet/souffle and get on with the Christmas festivities. If eating out is fun for you on Christmas morn - go for it! :party:

Jani
12-16-2008, 10:09 AM
I'm Aldon's daughter in case anyone is wondering. Anyways, I made:
Bavarion chocolate covered mints, Peanut Butter cups, Toffee, Turtle candies, and of course no goody tray is complete without delicious sugar cookies. My husband and I did this in one weekend, my kitchen was turned upside down:smile (3):

Julie
12-16-2008, 10:20 AM
I think a rule ought to be that if you list all the goodies you have made it is mandatory that you include the recipes.:001_sdrool::l0 (44):

signseeker
12-16-2008, 11:30 AM
Yes, I hearby make the rule that all recipes must be shared. If the name is brought up, the recipe hereby must be shared. Hereby.

Earthling
12-16-2008, 01:11 PM
I received an email with links to many candy recipes. It doesn't post but if you would like me to forward it, PM me.

Earthling
12-16-2008, 01:13 PM
CHOCOLATE SWEETY PIE

4 egg whites
? tsp cream of tartar
? cup sugar
3 tbsp cocoa powder
? cup powdered sugar
1/3 cup cocoa powder
1 ? cups whipping cream

Lightly grease 9? pie pan. Beat egg whites and cream of tartar until stiff. Continue beating and add sugar a little at a time until stiff and glossy. Add 3 tbsp cocoa powder on low speed until just blended. Spoon into pie plate pressing meringue around bottom and sides. Bake 1 hour. Turn off oven. Leave in oven with door closed for another hour. Remove from oven to finish cooling to room temperature.

In a chilled 2 ? qt bowl beat whipping cream until soft peaks form. Gradually beat in powdered sugar and 1/3 cup cocoa. Spread in pie shell. Freeze for 12-48 hours. Garnish with additional sweetened whipped cream or sprinkle with chopped or sliced almonds.

Earthling
12-16-2008, 01:14 PM
I really like this recipe!

ORANGE KISS COCONUT CREAM PIE

Prepare refrigerated pie crust according to package instructions. Cool completely.

Filling:In med. Saucepan combine 1 cup sugar and 3 tbsp cornstarch. Blend well.
Stir in : 1 cup water
? cup orange juice
? cup margarine or butter
1 tbsp orange peel
3 egg yolks.

Cook over med heat until mixture thickens and boils (about 5 min), stirring constantly. Remove from heat and chill one hour.
Stir in : 1/3 cup coconut
? cup sour cream
Fold in: ? cup cream, whipped.
Spoon into cooled crust.

Topping: In sm bowl beat 1/3 cup cream and 2 tbsp powdered sugar until stiff peaks form. Spread over filling. Garnish with ? cup coconut & 2 tbsp sliced almonds.

Earthling
12-16-2008, 01:15 PM
PECAN COOKIE CRUNCH PIE

3 egg whites
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
3/4 cup sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup crushed chocolate chip cookies
1 cup pecans, chopped
1/2 cup cream, whipped
1/4 cup powdered sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
opt: grated chocolate

Beat egg whites and baking powder until soft peaks form. Slowly add sugar and beat until stiff. Fold in vanilla extract, chocolate chip cookie crumbs, and pecans. Pour in buttered 8 or 9" pie pan. Bake 300 for 25-30 minutes. Let cool to room temperature. Whip cream until stiff. Blend in powdered sugar and vanilla extract. Spread over cooled pie. Sprinkled with grated chocolate if desired. Yield: 1 pie

Earthling
12-16-2008, 01:16 PM
CINNAMON PEAR PIE

Pastry for double 9 inch pie
5 cups pears, peeled, cored & sliced
3/4 cup sugar
3 tablespoons flour
1/8 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon lemon juice
4 tablespoons cinnamon red hot candies
2 tablespoons butter

Mix sugar, flour, salt, lemon juice, and red hot candies. Combine with pears and spoon into pastry lined pie plate. Dot with butter. Cover with top pastry. Flute or crimp edges. Make several slits in the top crust. Bake at 425 degrees for 45-50 minutes.

Earthling
12-16-2008, 01:17 PM
RASPBERRY PEAR PIE

Pastry for double 9 inch pie
4 cups pears, peeled, cored & sliced
1 cup sugar, divided
4 tablespoons tapioca, divided
2 tablespoons lemon juice
2 cups fresh raspberries
2 tablespoons butter

In a large mixing bowl combine the pears, 2/3 cup sugar, 2 tablespoons tapioca, and lemon juice. Set aside. In another mixing bowl combine the raspberries, 1/3 cup sugar, and 2 tablespoons tapioca. Layer raspberry mixture on bottom crust. Add the pear filling and spread evening. Dot the filling with butter. Cover with the top pastry. Flute or crimp edges. Bake at 425 degrees for 45-55 minutes.

Earthling
12-16-2008, 01:19 PM
You have heard about Cucumber Sandwiches in Victorian era movies and novels but now you can taste the real thing. They are easy to make and wonderful to eat.

Party Cucumber Sandwiches

8 oz pkg cream cheese
1 cup mayonnaise
1 oz pkg dry Italian salad dressing mix
1 loaf sliced bread of choice
1 cucumber, thinly sliced
dried dill weed

Blend together cream cheese, mayonnaise and dressing mix in a medium mixing bowl. Cut bread slices in half on the diagonal. Spread bread slices with cream cheese mixture and top with cucumber slices. Sprinkle with dill weed to taste. Chill until ready to serve.

Earthling
12-16-2008, 01:22 PM
GINGERBREAD COOKIES

This dough is easy to handle and roll out - a bonus when children are helping! These are soft, great tasting cookies. Even folks like me who aren?t gingerbread fans like them.

Bring to a boil and simmer for 2 minutes: ? cup molasses
? cup dark corn syrup
1 cup shortening
Let cool.
Cream: 1 egg
1 cup sugar
1 tsp. Vanilla

Add to the molasses mixture.

Dissolve 2 tsp. Baking Soda in ? cup warm water & add to above mixture.

Mix & add to molasses mixture: 6 cups flour
1 tsp. Salt
1 tsp. Cinnamon
? tsp. Ground cloves
? tsp. Ground ginger

Mix well. Roll 1/4" thick. You don?t need flour to roll this recipe out! Cut into gingerbread men. Bake at 375 for 6-8 minutes on ungreased cookie sheet. Makes more than even a teenage boy can eat!

CHOCOLATE COVERED CHERRY COOKIES

With these cookies who needs cherry chocolates?

? cup butter or margarine
1 cup sugar
1 egg
1 ? tsp vanilla extract
1 ? cups flour
? cup baking cocoa
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp baking soda
48 maraschino cherries (blot dry on paper towels)

Cream butter and sugar until fluffy. Beat in egg and vanilla. Add flour, cocoa, salt, baking powder, and baking soda. The batter will be stiff. Shape into 48 balls about one inch round. Place on ungreased baking sheets. Push a cherry halfway into each ball.

To make frosting: In a saucepan over low heat melt 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips and ? cup sweetened condensed milk, stirring constantly. Remove from heat and add a few teaspoons of maraschino cherry juice until it is a spreading consistency. Stir until smooth and spoon a teaspoon of frosting over each cherry. This will spread during baking. Bake cookies at 350 degrees for 10-12 minutes. Makes 4 dozen.

JELLO SUGAR COOKIES

Add that Utah favorite Jello and you have a bright colored cookie with extra flavor and no need for time consuming frosting. This dough is also easy to handle.

3 cups flour
1 cup sugar
1 tsp. Baking powder
3 oz. Pkg cherry Jello
1 cup shortening
3 eggs

Mix flour, sugar, baking powder, and Jello together. Add shortening and mix well. Add eggs, one at a time mixing well after each addition.

Roll out 1/4 inch thick and cut with holiday shaped cookie cutter. Bake at 350 degrees for 8 minutes. Frost if desired. Makes 4-5 dozen.

EGGNOG COOKIES

If you love eggnog during the holidays - here?s a recipe from a famous cookie maker Mrs Fields.

1 1/4 cups sugar
3/4 cups butter, softened
? cup eggnog
1 tsp. Vanilla extract
2 egg yolks
2 1/4 cups flour
1 tsp. Baking powder
? tsp. Ground cinnamon
? tsp. Nutmeg
1 tablespoon nutmeg

Cream sugar and butter. Add eggnog, vanilla, and egg yolks. Beat until smooth. Add flour, baking powder, cinnamon, ? tsp nutmeg. Mix together until ingredients are just combined.

Drop on ungreased baking sheets. Sprinkle lightly with nutmeg. Bake 300 degrees for 23-25 minutes until lightly browned. Makes 3 dozen.

FUNFETTI COOKIES

What could be easier than cookies from a cake mix? You can also try different flavors of cake mix.

Combine: Funfetti cake mix
1/3 cup oil
2 eggs

Stir by hand until thoroughly moistened. Stir in candy bits from cake mix. Shape into 1" balls. Place on ungreased cookie sheets and flatten with bottom of a glass dipped in flour. Bake at 375 for 6-8 minutes until edges are a golden brown. Cool a few minutes and remove from cookie sheets. Spread a can of Funfetti frosting over warm cookies. Immediately sprinkle with candy bits from frosting.

High Altitude (above 3500 feet - this means you Ogdenites): add ? cup flour to cake mix.

FRUITCAKE COOKIES

If you like fruitcake (even if others don?t) - give these a try. Bet they won?t end up as doorstops!

1 cup butter, softened
1 ? cups light brown sugar, packed
1/4 cup unsulphured molasses
2 tsp vanilla extract
2 tsp almond extract
2 eggs
2 cups flour
? tsp baking powder
1 cup quick oats
? cups raisins
1 ? cup chopped nuts (walnuts, pecans, almonds - choose your favorites)
2 cups candied cherries, chopped

Cream butter and sugar together. Add molasses, almond and vanilla extracts, and eggs. Beat until smooth. Add flour, baking powder, and oats. Mix together until ingredients are just combined. Drop on ungreased baking sheets. Bake 300 degrees for 22-24 minutes until lightly browned. Makes 4 ? dozen.

MERINGUE COOKIES

These easy cookies are the cookie version of divinity only with a softer flavor - yum!

Beat 4 egg whites (room temperature) until frothy.
Add: 1/4 tsp. Cream of tartar
1/4 tsp. Salt
1 tsp vanilla extract
Few drops red or green food coloring

Beat well. Add 3/4 cup sugar gradually until stiff peaks form and the sugar is dissolved - about 5 to 8 minutes. Optional: Fold in 1 cup miniature chocolate chips.

Drop by rounded teaspoons onto greased cookie sheets.
Bake at 300 degrees for 30 minutes. Turn off the oven and leave in for another half hour. Remove from oven and cool 5 minutes before removing from cookie sheets. Makes 3-4 dozen.

signseeker
12-16-2008, 10:19 PM
Signseeker - cause you spend an hour going out to eat.:) See it's that driving, ordering, waiting for the order, the check, etc. We eat the omelet/souffle and get on with the Christmas festivities. If eating out is fun for you on Christmas morn - go for it! :party:

See, we're all *together* during the breakfast ordering and driving, etc. Not mom putting stuff in the oven right at the exact moment 2yo decides to stand up for himself and decks 4yo for first dibs on riding his new stuffed tiger which will be forever forgotten and not saved for eternity on a lovely family video that could be re-lived over and over and bring an old decrepid couple the only happiness they have in the world cuz they're only waiting to die at this point, but NO! Mom had to put in the ultra-convenient make-ahead dish. Yeah, forget it. :devil: