PDA

View Full Version : Bird Flu

Charsee
12-13-2008, 09:47 PM
This has not been confirmed...so this is third hand... Regardless, lets keep our eyes and ears open for the next couple of weeks...

In my friends words...

Well it looks like it might be coming sooner than we thought. I was talking with our ward's ****** who is over the health department here in ****** and he states that Indonesia is looking into a very unfortunate family reunion. It is still unconfirmed, but it has all of the symptoms of being a person to person infection of the Avian Flu.

There was not a common activity or food (in fact some didnʼt even eat) but all were infected. The most troubling aspect is that it was widely expected that when the avian flu mutated over to humans the death rate would go down since it would be more like what our bodies have already seen. It didnʼt, it went up from 50% to 90%. Of the 30 people who attended 27 were dead in three days. This short incubation period helps us to track it and quarantine as needed but if it goes back to the wild bird population containment will be impossible.

Indonesia is not cooperating with other countries since they are a Muslim country with a dictatorship that are waiting for God to destroy the infidel so information about what is happening in country is hard to come by and verify.

As far as how fast you will have to take action it took the Spanish flu one week to travel from the east coast to the west in 1918. It will travel as fast as the human host can.

My intent in sharing this with you is not to set you into panic mode but if you have not put aside a three month supply of food and a cash reserve like the prophet has been telling us, you are very vulnerable since the only sure way to deal with this pandemic is to shelter in place when this hits. It will take months to make any meaningful amounts of vaccine.

Please don't send this on as if it were truth until we have some verification...but you might want to prepare...soon...if you haven't already...

Earthling
12-13-2008, 09:53 PM
My bishop and good friend is over the health dept for two counties here in Utah. I have discussed this topic with him before so I will ask him about it asap and let you know.

No panic - there have been and probably will be lots of false alarms. Once we know it is a real alarm then we panic!! :yikes: Hey - maybe they released Susan Puls because it was too late? :001_ssuprised:

signseeker
12-13-2008, 11:46 PM
Puls was released? Or was she just at the end of her mission? I don't even know her and that whole thing bugs me - how she wouldn't show up for talks and stuff...

Aldon
12-14-2008, 12:39 AM
Charsee, Thanks for the early warning.

Panic is debilitating.

But being forewarned allows us to maximise our planning and preps.

I appreciate the information while realizing it may be a red herring.

signseeker
12-14-2008, 12:41 AM
Yes, I appreciate the warning, too.

Interesting that this coincides with two kiddo's puking this weekend, with its accompanying increase in laundry. I need more laundry supplies! :willy_nilly:

cHeroKee
12-14-2008, 10:17 AM
Indonesia has the highest number of confirmed human H5N1 cases, but much evidence suggests the official numbers represent a gross under-count. The case fatality rate in Indonesia is around 80% and has been at that level since the first human case was confirmed 3 1/2 years ago. However, many patients are treated late in Indonesia, which increase case fatality rates, and many patients treated early test negative on Ministry of Health assays. Therefore the virulence of H5N1 in Indonesia is unclear.