PDA

View Full Version : Stocking Clothes?

signseeker
12-14-2008, 12:54 AM
I've been wondering about storing some clothing. What do you guys all do for that? Do you store certain "types" of clothes? (Denim, wool...?) Do you keep clothing that your kids will grow into? Or do you store fabric with the intent to make what you need when you need it? What about shoes/boots?

There's lots of clothing that is cheap at the DI... Just got to wondering about it.

Caveman
12-14-2008, 01:18 AM
Warm cloths. Make sure you have plenty.

silverstate51
12-14-2008, 10:55 AM
I would suggest getting hard wearing clothing, like denim, with material for patching as needed. Coveralls are a good choice, while not fashionable, they allow for the belly and butt expansion so many of us experience as we grow older. The shoulder straps hold them up, even for those lucky enough to remain trim.
If you experience cold weather, then I'd suggest stocking up on thermal underwear, sized to allow layering. Socks and work boots as well.

When I was in the military, I adapted my BDU tops to hold the field jacket liner. Not only did it keep me warm, it made me seem like a tougher NCO to the junior enlisteds and butterbars complaining about the weather.

prairiemom
12-14-2008, 12:12 PM
I've been wondering about storing some clothing. What do you guys all do for that? Do you store certain "types" of clothes? (Denim, wool...?) Do you keep clothing that your kids will grow into? Or do you store fabric with the intent to make what you need when you need it? What about shoes/boots?

There's lots of clothing that is cheap at the DI... Just got to wondering about it.

Yes.

Twice a year we go through all the clothes, changing from summer to winter clothes (or vice versa.) I take out what's too small, save what a younger child can wear, give away what is still usable, make rags out of what isn't (after removing usable buttons and zippers.) Same with winter outer clothes--coats, boots, gloves, etc. Each Feb/Mar I get what's needed for next year when it goes on clearance.

I also have a couple packages of underwear and socks for everyone in storage. When the old stuff needs replacing, I pull out what's in storage and use it, then replace it the next time there's a sale.

Then I store fabric, thread, zippers and other notions. I store basics--heavy denims, ducks, canvas, corduroy, and poplins, T-shirt and thermal knits, and basic cottons for shirts. I stick to mostly basic colors--blue, tan, brown, black. That way I only have to stock thread, zippers and buttons in basic colors.

It's easier because I have all boys. If I had girls or a mix of boys and girls the logistics of saving and storing clothes becomes exponentially more complicated.

signseeker
12-14-2008, 05:38 PM
Extra socks and undies... that's a great idea. I'll get on that week after this.

You know, the boy-girl thing might be a little more complicated, but not too bad. I've got boy-14, girl-12, girl-6, boy-4 and boy-2. Most of the time I really don't feel like holding on to the oldest boy's clothes for 10 years until the next one can fit. I do save most of the 4yo's clothes for his little brother, though. And the girls are just so differently shaped physically that I don't save much of either of their clothes, except the dresses, of course.

We buy quite a bit of "sweats" for lounging around the house. Everyone passes these down to everyone (we generally don't buy pink, so everything else will work). These are pretty cheap at Wal-Mart (on clearance, it's REALLY cheap) and they use them for jammies most of the time, too.

I'm thinking I'll stock up on some jeans of all sizes (girls can wear boys' jeans most of the time) and I like the coveralls idea - I hadn't thought of that, but those would be excellent for working and they protect you for carrying wood, or a myriad of other chores. You can really fit a wide variety of bodies in a pair of overalls, too.

I also try to get winter gloves and hats when they are on clearance...

My winter boot "collection" is not nearly as good as I thought it was... I need to get more boots in various sizes for kids. They got great ones at the DI.

Great ideas!

silverstate51
12-14-2008, 06:57 PM
Check out www.lapolicegear.com . They have great closeout deals on boots. You can sometimes get boots that normally sell for $150+ for as little as $9.00 . Check the net for converting men's to women's sizes. I was able to get my wife two pairs of desert boots this way.

Morgan
12-14-2008, 08:21 PM
I would store fabric to make into clothing. I don't know what sizes my children will be when I need it during the seasons they will need it, nor do I know what size I will be, so I'd like to go buy some fabric for storage.

DMGNUT
12-14-2008, 08:25 PM
To add to what others are saying... We've picked up a lot of military surplus thermal under clothes, beanie caps, gloves, etc. from Sportsmansguide.com, over the years. When they have a lot of stuff on hand and they really want to move it, they practically give it away.

Toni
12-16-2008, 08:28 PM
I don't know if I can add anything to all of this excellent advice. Since kids seem to grow a size every 6 months, I would have liked to have clothes 1 and 2 sizes too large. Then when they get into the one size too large, get the next size up. These are things like jeans and shirts. I didn't have enough money to do it much but for the girls when they were little, I'd buy dresses that were long on them - like halfway between ankles and knees, then they could wear them for a few years. They were too little to care at the time.

I have always liked the idea of having a couple bolts of cloth and good quality thread. The cloth I would like to get is cotton denim and hemp. Hemp is supposed to be really, really strong. I understand jeans were made of them before the gov't outlawed growing hemp.

signseeker
12-16-2008, 08:41 PM
Yeah, and if you're having a particular sucky TEOTWAWKI day, you can just smoke your jeans. :tongue (3):

Toni
12-16-2008, 09:06 PM
Yeah, and if you're having a particular sucky TEOTWAWKI day, you can just smoke your jeans. :tongue (3):

:smilielol5::smilielol5:

ghostcat
12-16-2008, 10:33 PM
Stick with chocolate, girl. It doesn't leave you with the munchies, you wouldn't want to eat your years supply up in just a day or so, just cause you smoked your jeans:puh2:

ghostcat
12-16-2008, 10:52 PM

All of the advice given so far is great.

DI is a great source for cheap used clothing. I agree with Silverstate, buy rugged work clothes. Buy them in a range of sizes that you anticipate your children will be passing through. If your children can't wear them for some reason (they skip that size) you can always pass them on to someone who can use them, or barter them off.

Buy 3 or 4 sets of clothes in each size range. We don't need the large wardrobes we have gotten used to nowadays. I remember the stories told by my parents who grew to adulthood during the depression. they usually only got 2 sets of clothes each year, one of work clothes and one for school. Remember the old saying "Use it up, wear it out, make do, or do without"

If you have daughters always remember to also add at least one pretty little frock for them in each size, so that they can still feel girly. That was one thing I remember my mother stating was important.

signseeker
12-16-2008, 11:26 PM
Uhh... what's a "frock?" :bonk:

Earthling
12-17-2008, 12:20 PM
Having old parents . . . I know a few phrases . . . it is a dress. Not that you are old Ghostcat - but looks like I am. :l0 (51):

Earthling
12-17-2008, 12:22 PM
My kids have reached adult sizes for which I am grateful. I have reminded them to make sure they have enough levis, socks, underwear, shoes, etc. The girls didn't need much reminding . . . :)

Toni
12-17-2008, 12:38 PM
Yeah.

Signseeker, I'm listening to Christmas music and I've come across many of your posts today. That little critter of yours sure seems to be bouncing in time with the music. It just cracks me up.

ghostcat
12-17-2008, 01:52 PM
Having old parents . . . I know a few phrases . . . it is a dress. Not that you are old Ghostcat - but looks like I am. :l0 (51):
I sure feel old at times!!:thumbup: My kids think I'm old too, so I guess I must be old!!:D

signseeker
12-17-2008, 01:59 PM
Well, in *my* TEOTWAWKI there ain't no need for dresses! :sneaky2:

Earthling
12-17-2008, 05:32 PM
I agree for myself but my two lovely daughters love being "girly" girls . . . the guys like it too. :thumbsup:

signseeker
12-17-2008, 07:32 PM
Yeah, well, when there's no running water and all the deoderant and shavers are gone .... I'm just not seeing the priority. I'm talking TEOTWAWKI, not SHTF, where you can still have some semblance of normalcy according to your preps.

Toni
12-17-2008, 08:54 PM
Yeah, well, when there's no running water and all the deoderant and shavers are gone .... I'm just not seeing the priority. I'm talking TEOTWAWKI, not SHTF, where you can still have some semblance of normalcy according to your preps.

Yeah. That's where I think bolts of cloth will come in handy. Style won't be such a big thing. We'll be happy to cover ourselves from the heat, cold, and prying eyes. Simple clothing. Simple patterns.

hmscarrie
02-25-2009, 02:18 AM
what about a sewing machine for the stored fabric? you guys know anything about tredle machines, or converting an electric one, if the power is off or sporadic?

Toni
03-05-2009, 06:24 PM
what about a sewing machine for the stored fabric? you guys know anything about tredle machines, or converting an electric one, if the power is off or sporadic?

That's something I would like to know, also.

North_Star
03-05-2009, 06:32 PM
This is an excellent thread....my wife and I have enjoyed the useful things we are learning....this area (i.e. clothing etc.) has been on our minds a great deal too.

threepercent
03-05-2009, 07:34 PM
one thing i did was buy a buch of socks at costco and put them in a sealed 5 gallon bucket. socks are hard to "make"

signseeker
03-06-2009, 12:19 AM
I need to get a bunch more socks. That's something that is not cheap, even at the D.I. :d0 (8):

I guess if the power's gone, we'll all be sewing by hand. :mellow:

Earthling
03-06-2009, 08:46 AM
I guess if the power's gone, we'll all be sewing by hand. :mellow:

I'm ready - bought a treadle sewing machine a few years ago. Now if I can just get the hang of using it - it takes off like it's in a drag race. Where is my mother to show me how to use this when I need her? (she passed away two years ago)

prairiemom
03-06-2009, 09:56 AM
Yeah, several years ago we bought a treadle machine from the 40's. It has a motor so it can be electric, but can also be foot-powered. Since it wasn't a "real" antique it was pretty cheap--about $100 if I remember right.

I always have a year's supply of socks and underwear on hand. I suppose I could make underwear in a pinch, just not sure how much everyone would like wearing them.:wink (2):

Julie
03-06-2009, 10:04 AM
I inherited a treadle machine too. It works great and I bought a new treadle machine head to go with it that does all the fancy stitches from Lehmans. I know that they have attachments that you can put on your electric sewing machine that will convert it to use with a treadle base.

Toni
03-06-2009, 06:57 PM
I wonder how many people will end up not wearing socks or underwear after a while b/c they can't make them (or don't have the cloth, etc. to make them)? Okay, I don't really want to know - more of an "idle wonder".

iggy
11-09-2012, 03:24 PM
Oooohhh, I am resurrecting an old thread :puh2:

Twice a year we go through all the clothes, changing from summer to winter clothes (or vice versa.) I take out what's too small, save what a younger child can wear, give away what is still usable, make rags out of what isn't (after removing usable buttons and zippers.) Same with winter outer clothes--coats, boots, gloves, etc. Each Feb/Mar I get what's needed for next year when it goes on clearance. Did this when I was a girl - Mom had Dad drag out the steamer trunks, then she would go through the clothes, while Grandma and the siblings went through the closets and dressers to gather clothes to put into the trunks. To me it was fun, "New" clothes to wear that were soft, broken in and oh so comfy!

I also have a couple packages of underwear and socks for everyone in storage. When the old stuff needs replacing, I pull out what's in storage and use it, then replace it the next time there's a sale.

Then I store fabric, thread, zippers and other notions. I store basics--heavy denims, ducks, canvas, corduroy, and poplins, T-shirt and thermal knits, and basic cottons for shirts. I stick to mostly basic colors--blue, tan, brown, black. That way I only have to stock thread, zippers and buttons in basic colors. Before we tossed clothes into the Re-Use/Toss pile, we removed zippers, buttons, hooks, rick-rack, lace and sometimes cut out appliques. The only snaps we saved were the kind you sew on.

It's easier because I have all boys. If I had girls or a mix of boys and girls the logistics of saving and storing clothes becomes exponentially more complicated.

one thing i did was buy a buch of socks at costco and put them in a sealed 5 gallon bucket. socks are hard to "make"

When I was traveling with 1st husband I found that tube socks were better than "fitted" socks. Especially for me, my foot is an odd size and I absolutely can not stand that the heel is not on the heel and the toes are jammed tight against the material. I would buy mens largest size in white and then in the muted colors, when the heels & toes wore out, I would sew across the sock above the worn out area, then cut off the well used part, keeping a few of them as dusting rags.

Since I have 'Diabetic' feet- super dry, prone to crack and split and for some odd reason my nails grow fast and I have to have them cut every month! I don't wear socks very often. The ones I do wear are Trouser Socks and they are man made fabrics, which pull the natural oil out of your feet. Now that I am back in the Pacific NW (God's Country), I will have to stock up on tube socks again. If you knit, you can probably "make" socks. My Dad knitted our socks when we all were little. Wool, and they came up past our knees. Held up with Mom's creation of a garter belt (went on like a vest).

Mom also made our undershirts and knickers. Made them out of flour sacking that once held 50 pounds of flour. Our aprons were from the printed ones, the knickers from the mostly white. Our pillow cases were from them too. I was 11 when I got my first 'store bought' underpants. I wore them for maybe 3 hours, then took them off, and went without. The elastic in the legs hurt me and caused blisters. Mom removed the elastic and just hemmed them. She also covered the waist elastic with bias tape- to cover up the rubber, that gave me blisters too.

My Ex Sis-In-Law has my mother's treadle machine. My siblings had all agreed that she should keep it to pass down to my brothers only daughter. Well daughter is now 20 and has stated flat out that she detests the machine, and will never use it.

I want it - so I guess I will have to go to Seattle and get it. The one problem Mom had was finding needles for it and bobbins. The bobbins have nipples on the end, and all she could find (me too, cause I was looking for her) were the ones with the indent on the ends. I still want the machine. I made a lot of clothes on that machine. Clothes for me to wear, clothes for my Barbie doll, for my little sister's baby dolls, turning old thread bare hand & bath towels into bath rugs, etc.

I do have a question ~ how long will fabric & thread store before it starts to break down? The patterns that my Mom and Grandmother used, they reused until they were mostly scotch tape and very little paper left. Is there another paper that they can be transferred to that is as easy to use?

JenJen
11-09-2012, 06:11 PM

I store all manner of clothing. I buy mine at yard sales or thrift stores. I even buy shoes of every kind. I try to buy ones I can wash in bleachy water. I store the clothing and shoes in new garbage cans. I also buy hats and gloves.

CurtisG
11-09-2012, 10:41 PM
We are going in the opposite direction. My wife has lost alot of weight and has been getting rid of the big clothes.