PDA

View Full Version : Keeping Warm Naturally

Morgan
12-18-2008, 02:28 PM
So let's say I prefer 100% natural fabrics, like silk, wool, and cotton. What would be the best fabrics for keeping warm comfortably? i.e. good luck being comfortable with wool directly against your skin, etc. Would layering silk long johns underneath wool overclothes be sufficient? If so, what kinds of silk and wool are ideal? Anyone know where I can find out about the specific properties of various kinds of textiles?

ghostcat
12-18-2008, 02:57 PM
While not having silk Garments (do they even make any?), I have used wool pants and shirts over the years. wearing silk under them would definitely make wool more comfortable. Most wool garments that I've seen nowadays have a silky like lining (usually out of rayon) at points where the garment would rub the body, thus making them comfortable to wear. The truth is however if you wear wool a lot you soon find that you get accustomed to it and don't even notice it.

Toni
12-18-2008, 03:44 PM
I think they make different qualities of wool. I got some swatches from a company and some of those pieces of cloth didn't even feel like wool. But -oooo- the price per yard! Scary!

Some kind of animal that lives in Siberia has hair that is super warm. I understand that you can get extremely warm while wearing it. It bugs me that I can't think of the animal right now. A friend of mine is into different kinds of yarns, fur, etc. He told me about it. Not ever thinking I'd use it, I have forgotten the name of the critter.

signseeker
12-18-2008, 05:00 PM
I thought this thread was going to be about huddling together, naked.

LarnaE
12-18-2008, 05:07 PM

LOL! me too. I was almost afraid to look.

Morgan
12-18-2008, 06:46 PM
AAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAA! :l0 (59):

waif69
12-18-2008, 06:55 PM
Good wool isn't scratchy at all, but as Toni mentioned the price is high.

How about cuddling up to a couple of big dogs?

Toni
12-18-2008, 09:26 PM
How about cuddling up to a couple of big dogs?

That sounds like a good idea.

Earthling
12-18-2008, 11:06 PM
I have somebody better to cuddle with at home than a dog to keep warm. :wink5:

muddywater
12-24-2008, 09:11 AM
I wore Icelandic wool on my mission in Denmark. It was scratchy at first, but it was so warm the scratchiness didn't bother me. There are other softer wools such as moreno wool. Many stores around here carry Moreno wool. I have a good friend that knits her own wool socks from wool she's processed herself and it is incredibly soft. I don't know the names of all the different kinds of wool, but there are some wonderfully soft and warm ones out there.

dena
01-02-2009, 09:48 PM
I wore Icelandic wool on my mission in Denmark. It was scratchy at first, but it was so warm the scratchiness didn't bother me. There are other softer wools such as moreno wool. Many stores around here carry Moreno wool. I have a good friend that knits her own wool socks from wool she's processed herself and it is incredibly soft. I don't know the names of all the different kinds of wool, but there are some wonderfully soft and warm ones out there.

Almost all the wool socks we have stored for extreme temps are made of merino wool. I wear them during the winter and don't notice any scratchiness. But I think most of ours are a wool blend with 80-85% wool and some nylon and/or spandex for stretchiness.
Dena

prairiemom
01-03-2009, 12:03 AM
For the baby blanket I made out of a wool blend, after washing it I rinse it in cream rinse. Just the stuff you use on your hair to make it soft and detangled. After all, it's just lamb's hair. Works nicely.

waif69
01-03-2009, 05:01 PM
Brilliant! I wouldn't have put that together, but it makes sense! Ah, sometimes the best solution is the most obvious and the one we miss entirely.

mirkwood
01-03-2009, 09:17 PM

One track mind :shocked: :eek6:

mirkwood
01-03-2009, 09:19 PM
I have some surplus US Army wool blankets. My wife says they are itchy, my boys and I love them.

waif69
01-04-2009, 02:59 PM
Those are the best blankets to have around. We have a few ourselves.

Earthling
01-04-2009, 08:24 PM
A vendor came into my work about 5-6 years ago and was selling wool Indian blankets that were very thick & soft. I picked up one for each of us and wish I could get more. They actually get softer with each washing and wash very well. I talked my son into taking his when he had to drive from Chicago to Utah several years ago with a car he bought in January. Well, the interstate was closed in Wyoming and he ended up stranded in his car in freezing temperatures and blowing snow. That blanket saved his neck.

signseeker
01-04-2009, 09:47 PM
One track mind :shocked: :eek6:

Oh, did I tell you? I'm pregnant. :coolgleamA:

hiccups
01-04-2009, 09:52 PM
Congrats and it would seem your one track mind does have some advantages, eh?

Toni
01-04-2009, 09:59 PM
Congrats, Signseeker! :party:

dena
01-04-2009, 11:38 PM
I have some surplus US Army wool blankets. My wife says they are itchy, my boys and I love them.
We picked up a couple more of these over the holiday while traveling (trip to Idaho)
It took a bit of doing to get the mothball smell out! They are scratchy,,,but oh so warm.
Dena

mirkwood
01-05-2009, 12:49 AM
Congrats Signcocoseekbeemer!

signseeker
01-05-2009, 08:56 AM
Thanks, everyone. :l0 (26):
mirk- I'm going to add that to my baby name list. :l0 (53):

To get back on track for the thread... (sorry 'bout that) ... I have no problem staying warm anymore. So, when all else fails... j/k. In fact, if it gets above 70* in the house, I instantly freak out and get this bad, irritable feeling... Maybe we should talk about how to stay cool, too. :a0 (27):

Earthling
01-05-2009, 09:53 AM
Congratulations! That road trip you plan on taking might get real interesting if you have nausea! :yikes: :wink5:

signseeker
01-05-2009, 11:45 AM
Yeah... remember how I was saying I was getting a mind block for our summer vacation? Well - this was probably an entirely PERSONAL reason! Not like, the world's coming to an end. (Whew!) Although we did do Mt. Rushmore when I was 8+ months pregnant, I'm 40 now and don't feel like being all Rambo pioneer-like. Luckily the nausea is usually over around 4-5 months. I hate puking. Hate it.

waif69
01-05-2009, 12:02 PM
Congratulations!

mirkwood
01-05-2009, 12:48 PM
Maybe we should talk about how to stay cool, too.

Roll in the snow?

signseeker
01-05-2009, 01:21 PM
Alright, I'll change that to "cool and dry." :crazy:

Haven't done that since college hot-tub parties. Then my hair would usually freeze to the outside of the hot-tub. :frusty:

mirkwood
01-05-2009, 02:35 PM
Alright, I'll change that to "cool and dry." :crazy:

Haven't done that since college hot-tub parties.

:out:

LarnaE
01-05-2009, 02:50 PM
Oh, did I tell you? I'm pregnant. :coolgleamA:

Congratulations!!! that is what happens when you try to get warm all natural. :blush2: LOL! I hope all goes well for you and baby.

ghostcat
01-05-2009, 04:03 PM
I'd like to add my congratulations as well!!

Earthling
01-05-2009, 04:06 PM
hey Cowboy!! Now we got Signseeker's "official" age! Yup - she is getting old but obviously not too old. :wink5:

Signseeker - well you are a "pioneer" type anyway. I had my last baby at age 35 and felt like an old lady trying to have a baby - pretty tired compared to the others. Go get em girl!

signseeker
01-05-2009, 04:32 PM
My mom was 43 and 1/2 when she had me and dh's mom was 41, so we kind of like "old" parents. I don't feel THAT old, though. (Except this puking really sucks it out of me, no matter what the age.) I also love it when I tell tell people I'm 40 and they say, "No way!" :a0 (27): 'Course, they're probably just being nice, but still. That IS pretty nice. :thumbsup:

Charsee
01-05-2009, 04:55 PM
I thought we were going to talk about rubbing our bodies with bear grease that's supposed to work too...now I just have to catch a bear...

prairiemom
01-05-2009, 06:46 PM
Congratulations! I had my youngest at age 40. While there IS good reason to have them when you're younger--LOTS more energy and stamina (esp for the morning sickness part!) it doesn't really matter because a new child is always welcome.

waif69
01-05-2009, 07:20 PM
I would prefer mineral oil to bear grease, but you take what you can get, that's what I say.

Earthling
01-05-2009, 08:35 PM
The kids are just happy to come to a good home no matter your age. My mom had 3 boys when she was young . . . and then me at 38, my sister at 40, and a surprise at 44. Now my poor dad was 9 years older than her . . . so he is almost 100 now! What is funny (kind of) is people told him he would not live to raise my youngest sister . . . ya - my dad outlived my sister (car accident a few years ago). The bonus for parents is the kids do keep you younger. . . if you don't die from exhaustion! :l0 (59):

signseeker
01-06-2009, 09:10 AM
Yikes. DH's dad was 50 when he was born and they told him the same thing... he lived to be 89. I really don't think he'd have lived that long if it wasn't for DH - they got into swimming together. FIL ended up swimming 7,000 miles or something in his later years...

Toni
01-06-2009, 07:57 PM
Thanks, everyone. :l0 (26):
mirk- I'm going to add that to my baby name list. :l0 (53):

To get back on track for the thread... (sorry 'bout that) ... I have no problem staying warm anymore. So, when all else fails... j/k. In fact, if it gets above 70* in the house, I instantly freak out and get this bad, irritable feeling... Maybe we should talk about how to stay cool, too. :a0 (27):

I have definitely noticed that pregnancy makes you warmer ("upgraded" metabolism?), especially in the last three months. So sad if the baby is due in August. But let's not give the men any ideas on how to keep their wives warm when things get real rough, okay? :leaving:

signseeker
01-06-2009, 08:04 PM
Yeah, this'll be my third August baby. I know, I'm an idiot. Or else Thanksgiving makes me happy. D'oh!

Earthling
01-06-2009, 11:46 PM
I was an August baby and my mother never let me forget how she suffered. Therefore I planned my first three kids for February (and they all had February due dates!). After that I figured I had better put a few in the spring to spread things out! :willy_nilly:

signseeker
01-07-2009, 07:52 AM
Thing of it is, I could never plan to the month. It generally took me almost a year to even get pregnant.

Toni
01-11-2009, 04:51 PM
I never planned my babies but I lucked out. Two in January and one in April. But I got married the end of March the first time so that may have started things out that way.

faif2d
04-03-2012, 07:50 PM
I have purchased silk long johns from these folks and was pleased. They sometimes have really good sales.
http://www.wintersilks.com/silkcare.aspx (http://www.wintersilks.com/silkcare.aspx)

JayE
04-03-2012, 08:16 PM
I have purchased silk long johns from these folks and was pleased. They sometimes have really good sales.
http://www.wintersilks.com/silkcare.aspx (http://www.wintersilks.com/silkcare.aspx)

Hmmm, I had never thought of silk as being so practical. I thought it was only a luxury.

Toni
04-04-2012, 03:06 PM
Hmmm, I had never thought of silk as being so practical. I thought it was only a luxury.

I understand that silk is supposed to be very strong, long-lasting, and warm. Am I wrong? If I understand correctly, silk long-johns might be something very practical, especially if they were on sale.