PDA

View Full Version : Food Storage Fanatic

supersc
12-26-2008, 11:56 PM
Some things just catch your eye... like this gem:

And in 1989, Moravec said, he was stranded for three days on a section of the Oakland, Calif., Bay Bridge after a 7.0 earthquake. He ate from a 72-hour emergency kit stashed inside his pickup truck.

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/local/6420ap_ut_mormons_food_storage.html

American Fork Man is Food Storage Fanatic

By JENNIFER DOBNER
ASSOCIATED PRESS WRITER

AMERICAN FORK, Utah -- The long, narrow room in Kenneth Moravec's basement looks like a food bank.

Floor-to-ceiling shelves are lined with canned fruits and vegetables, dried or powdered herbs, spices and drinks, along with drums of rice, pasta, wheat and other grains. Each is labeled with its contents and the date of purchase or when it was home-canned, usually right out of Moravec's garden.

"Right now I have about a six-year supply of food," said Moravec, whose e-mail tag line reads, "If you fail to prepare, you prepare to fail."

Moravec has taken to heart a decades-old directive from leaders of his Mormon faith that members should prepare for hard times or natural disasters by stockpiling up to a year's worth of food. A church Web site, providentliving.org, provides a guide for members.

Moravec's own preparedness philosophy has been cultivated through church teachings and hard personal experiences, including job losses and natural disasters. As a child, he said his family weathered an East Coast hurricane and then temporarily lived off their cache of stored food. And in 1989, Moravec said, he was stranded for three days on a section of the Oakland, Calif., Bay Bridge after a 7.0 earthquake. He ate from a 72-hour emergency kit stashed inside his pickup truck.

"I've been in and out of work a lot in my life, but I've always been able to feed my family because of food storage," he said.

Concern for others propelled Moravec to share what he knows. For two decades, he's taught preparedness classes nationwide to everyone from Boy Scouts to business executives and church women.

Once a year Moravec drops in on neighbors, regardless of faith, for a preparedness check-up.

"The question is: If you had to live on your food storage and couldn't go to Albertsons every day, how long could you live," he said. "Some people look at me like I'm nuts, but most people understand where I'm coming from."
Since 1985, Moravec has also placed group orders order for bulk quantities of grains, dried herbs, potato flakes and other staples. Once or twice a year, a semitrailer pulls onto Moravec's street and unloads enough food to fill his garage.

Moravec's fellow Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints congregants seem to have been converted. By his own accounting, Moravec said about 11 percent of families have socked away a year's worth of food. Another 10 percent have about six months of food saved and another 15 percent have a three-month supply, he said.

Moravec's neighbor, Cheri Christensen, said her family recently used a small, unexpected windfall to increase their food storage to a one-year supply. Christensen buys grains and pasta in bulk and cans fruits, vegetables and even butter.

"After we saw what happened in Hurricane Katrina in Louisiana ... those people were in dire straights. Take one look at that and you know you have to take care of yourself," Christensen said.

In the event a real disaster, Moravec doubts his six-year stash will last more than a few months. He expects to feed not only his family, but the friends and neighbors who didn't or couldn't prepare.

"I've been blessed very well to have this kind of food storage," said Moravec. "But I don't think I've been blessed for me, it's for me to share.
It's for the single mom over there, or the widow around the corner. I see that as part of my responsibility."

supersc
12-27-2008, 09:35 PM
Funny, I never heard of anyone being stranded on the SF-Oakland Bay Bridge for 3 days in the 1989 Loma Prieta earthquake. Anyone else have a comment?

Bueller? Bueller?... Bueller?

Cowboy
12-28-2008, 12:32 AM
I have seen his stash. It is not as grand as the article makes it sound like. He does have a nice fall-out shelter. About being on the bridge, well I think that is folk lore.

Dolcezza
12-28-2008, 04:34 PM
Moravec is quite ill at the moment and several people are praying for him. I find him remarkably humble and I cringed when I read the above comments on him -made behind his back-

Are we followers of Jesus in practice? Whether there is truth or not in the article we ought to remember to speak to people when they can defend themselves and explain.

ghostcat
12-28-2008, 05:25 PM
I for one know how the media can exaggerate and twist what one says so that any resemblance to the original statement is purely coincidental. In this case not knowing the individual, I prefer to give the benefit of the doubt.

Aldon
12-28-2008, 05:27 PM
And let us not forget the medias mantra thses days....."do not let the truth get in the way of a good story". :)

But Moravec is a good man and decent saint and is diligent in his preps.

I am with GC on this one.

BackBlast
12-28-2008, 06:00 PM
Funny, I never heard of anyone being stranded on the SF-Oakland Bay Bridge for 3 days in the 1989 Loma Prieta earthquake. Anyone else have a comment?

Digging up actual information or reports on a quake from 19 years ago isn't exactly easy, it's not crazy difficult either.

http://www.sfmuseum.net/oakquake/1.0.html

...Twenty-four hour activity continued at the Cypress collapse for several days....It's entirely within the realm of possibility for someone to have been trapped there for "several days" according to the historical record of sfmuseum.net.

Stated for the record.

Brandon

arbilad
12-28-2008, 07:38 PM
Very true. I lived in the area at the time and remember stories of miraculous rescues after a few days.

supersc
12-28-2008, 08:18 PM
I moved from the Loma Prieta area 14 months before the quake and have friends and relatives in the area, and we all experienced quakes from time to time.

I read the original article and thought "hurrah" for Kenneth, good publicity (or exposure of your tendency to store food and supplies).

The 3 days on the bridge sounded like folklore to me... if true, it is a great anecdotal story on why 72 hour kits can be lifesavers in the strangest predicaments, and ought to be widely disseminated.

Sorry to hear he is ill, hope he recovers famously.

btw, if my original two posts are considered too outside the ldsglo box (e.g., contentious)... please entirely delete this thread, I surely don't mind.

JayE
12-28-2008, 08:28 PM
The 3 days on the bridge sounded like folklore to me... if true, it is a great anecdotal story on why 72 hour kits can be lifesavers in the strangest predicaments, and ought to be widely disseminated.

I was living in the Bay area at the time of that earthquake. There were two sections of the Bay Bridge that failed. He could have been stuck between the two. In any case, I do know Kenneth Moravec very well and speak with him often. I do not believe he would tell any folklore.

supersc
12-28-2008, 08:37 PM
The worst part of the tradgedy of the '89 quake happened on I-880 leading up to the SF-Oakland Bay Bridge from the Oakland side. Over a mile of the multi-decker freeway 'pancaked" down onto lower levels. Many folks died in that horrific catastrophe.

It happened in an area bordering a poorer part of Oakland known for violence... but the stories of heroic efforts by the local population banding together tohelp those in severe and critical need were inspiring.