PDA

View Full Version : A good time to fertilize your lawn

Cowboy
03-01-2008, 05:08 PM
This weekend, before the rain is a good time to get some fertilizer on your lawn. Unless of course you want to be arrested for having a bad lawn. I live in Orem so I have to be careful.

skeller
03-01-2008, 06:21 PM
I live in Orem so I have to be careful.

Inside joke I know...but since I'm familiar with Orem I know where you're coming from!

level3Navigator
03-18-2008, 08:41 AM
Nah, in Orem you have to be at least seventy years old before the police feel comfortable about harassing you about your lawn... they wouldn't want there to an unfair advantage when taking down a citizen for a brown lawn.

:l0 (5):

bokbadok
03-18-2008, 08:58 AM
This is also the time to get your lawn aerated. Aeration will reduce your lawn's water needs and help it grow deeper roots to be more drought resistant.

Apply a pre-emergent herbicide before April 15. This will prevent all those dandelion seeds that blow in from your neighbor's yard from sprouting. It will also stop new crabgrass, whitetop, and bindweed (many call it morning glory) from coming up. This can be done with a combination fertilizer/herbicide, or as the pre-emergent alone. I prefer to wait to fertilize my lawn until April, other wise I'm mowing like a madwoman all spring long. So I put down the pre-emergent now, and then apply a light amount of ammonium sulfate once a month, April through June. Lay off the fertilizer for July and August, as it will burn your lawn unless you water like crazy in the heat. Resume fertilizing (at half suggested rates) again in September if needed, through November.

Pre-emergents will not kill established weeds, so either use a granular weed and feed later in the spring, or spray a broad leaf herbicide (NOT ROUNDUP) once the weather warms up a bit. Warning - do not spray 2-4-D in temperatures over 85 degrees, or it will turn into a gas and drift in the wind to kill your (and your neighbor's) desireable plants.

IFA has the best prices on all of these products, particularly the pre-emergent. this is the first year I've seen pre-emergent sold without a fertilizer included. It's also great to sprinkle on rock landscaping and in the cracks of driveways to prevent weeds from invading there. When applying, take care to avoid the vegetable garden, or anywhere you plan to plant seeds.

Abinadi
03-28-2008, 05:10 PM
Arrested for not caring for your lawn? Try some green paint.
Mine is mostly under snow yet, some grass has peeked out to let me know there is alot of work ahead.
Once the snow is off I alot of racking and then I will think about what kind of fertilzer I wish to use. I am thinking of cow manure if I can get some hauled down the road in a spreader...toss a little here and there. As far as the smell well theres a whole heard down the road with new calves.
I need some for the garden anyway so I need to see who has what...could try some goat to chicken.

Abinadi