PDA

View Full Version : Dmso ??

Aldon
01-05-2009, 02:14 PM
Has anyone here heard of DMSO?

dimethyl sulfoxide

Supposedly it is helpful in easing Arthritus and such.

Does anyone know of a place to purchase in Salt Lake or American Fork area?

Highlandsunrise
01-05-2009, 03:09 PM
I had a co-worker who used the horse linament variety. He loved it for arthritis. He rubbed it on his elbows and knees every evening. He was having more pain than usual one day, poured a gallon in the tub and bathed in it. While in the tub, he developed a bad headache so he showered and went to bed. He told us that story on Monday at work. By Wednesday he was off sick and never returned to work and within six weeks was dead from kidney failure. Very sad, he was a good man. He was Italian and a Mason of which he was very proud. Whenever we was truly upset he shout "Hoy-yoy-yoy, strawberries and bananas" instead of swearing. The lack of swearing was unusual for the railroad.

He brought it to work once in a small bottle and I put some on my hand and was surprized that I could taste it very quickly. That scared me off.

He surely didn't know that the Vet variety is much stronger than what would be intended for people. Way too much of a good thing????

FixItGuy
01-05-2009, 03:25 PM
OOPs Told you I don't like these computers. Just an old blue collar guy. Not a dot com guy. That being said I'm sorry I posted the previous post on my wifes computer not noticing that it was logged in under her Highlandsunrise name. Did you wonder how come Highlandsunrise worked at the railroad? She is really an RN. See, I might be dumb but I can marry smart. :bonk:

Highlandsunrise
01-05-2009, 03:34 PM
:frown2: I read that, fixitguy! Very sweet but I am just bookish. You're smarter 'n me.

signseeker
01-05-2009, 03:45 PM
I've heard of it for horses, but not so much people - except one little ditty in the 80s where it was my mom's "latest thing" which we tried to ignore 'till she got over it. Now she's into putting static into pvc pipe and waving it over your stomach to get rid of the pain - why don't you try that, aldon? :frown2:

Aldon
01-05-2009, 06:51 PM
I have it on good authority that a very respected sports doctors uses it with patients..I do not wish to throw anyone under the bus so I will not give his name of where he works.

That said, I have also heard of others who have used it effectively.

One may OD on morphine as well or cause kidney failuires with other drugs.

So everything in moderation really is an important concept.

I think I am going to give it a shot if I can locate a local source.

signseeker
01-05-2009, 06:52 PM
What are ya' gonna' do with it?

Aldon
01-05-2009, 06:55 PM
Use it in moderation on my joints for arthritus.

signseeker
01-05-2009, 06:57 PM
Do you take vit. E or wheat germ oil? Cod liver oil? That's kept my mom free of arthritis and she's 83 and her dad's hands were really curled up from it bad.

waif69
01-05-2009, 07:28 PM
I used to get it from local stables. You want to use a diluted solution, I don't know the percentage and it is to be used topically ONLY. It does work pretty well for some arthritis' and it is good for getting the swelling down from an injury. Some health food stores may sell it in it's diluted form. If I remember correctly, DMSO is found in the upper atmosphere but it is a by-product of the paper industry.

goldilocks
01-05-2009, 07:34 PM
I think they have it in the health food stores?
I thought it was really strong also and worried about the chemical aspect of it . didn't really help my pain so stopped but know others who like and use it.

Aldon
01-05-2009, 07:52 PM
Do you take vit. E or wheat germ oil? Cod liver oil? That's kept my mom free of arthritis and she's 83 and her dad's hands were really curled up from it bad.

I am not taking this stuff.

I am now in a position of dealing with treating symptoms rather than preventive measures.

Had I been prescient, I would have taken the Wheat Germ vtamin E oil etc....

Does this stuff remoove the symptoms as well as prevent the onset? I am all for an all out blitzkrieg against the enemy:)

Highlandsunrise
01-05-2009, 09:38 PM
I am sure you have researched it and you will likely be just fine with it in moderation. Is it your knees? You've got me wondering who the Doc is. There are days when I wouldn't be opposed to trying it myself. I'll be looking in the health food stores. The anti-inflamatories cause me so much GI distress they aren't worth it. Would be wonderful to just rub something on and have the pain leave.

Highlandsunrise (FixItGuy's wife)

Aldon
01-05-2009, 10:13 PM
I have it in my knees but worse in my hips and back.

I also have bone spurs whuch aggravate my muscles.

Causes spasms and stuff.

If you come to next get together I will let you know who it was:)

I need to make sure I have the right name and not jsut location,

Highlandsunrise
01-05-2009, 11:47 PM
Mmmmm, sorry. That doesn't sound good. Do the anti-inflamatories help you any?
We can come on the 23rd. It would be sad to not have Ghostcat and wife.

Aldon
01-05-2009, 11:51 PM
Anti-inflamatories help but I have to take too much and too often.

I would like to find something that is more effective as well.

It is really a lot worse in the Winter. specially my back:(

signseeker
01-06-2009, 08:57 AM
"Here with the Weather Back, we can feel a front moving in, bringing us lots of snow tonight, into the morning..." (Aldon lying below the map, wincing...)

I believe the Cod Liver Oil and Wheat Germ Oil can work at whatever stage you are in. Just a spoon of each (take the cod first, cuz it's grosser) every morning... Then again, if you do everything at once, you won't know which one(s) is doing the trick. :a0 (11):

ghostcat
01-06-2009, 02:58 PM
We can come on the 23rd. It would be sad to not have Ghostcat and wife.
We will miss you all as well although we do plan on attending the next one whenever it is held.

waif69
01-06-2009, 05:53 PM
Can you mix the cod liver oil and the wheat germ oil in with jello and shredded carrot?

Aldon
01-06-2009, 06:00 PM
Can you mix the cod liver oil and the wheat germ oil in with jello and shredded carrot?

Truly disgusting sounding!!!!!!!!!!:puke::puke::puke:

waif69
01-06-2009, 06:06 PM
I bet it will taste disgusting as well.:lol (2):

signseeker
01-06-2009, 07:41 PM
The oils are really not that bad. You don't have to go creating vomitous concoctions for no good reason.

Orange juice is a good chaser.

jennvan40
01-07-2009, 12:15 AM
You can get almost all the oils you might want to take for supplementation in gel caps at a health food store. Therefore you wouldn't need to worry about the taste going down but I would highly recommend having something on your stomach and having a little something afterwards too.

waif69
01-07-2009, 10:31 AM
Do you still get the same benefits as taking the oils straight?

jennvan40
01-07-2009, 01:28 PM
Yes, you still get the same benefits as taking the oils straight. It also makes it more likely that you will continue to take them. Just make sure that you watch the sell by or use by dates on the container. Oils go rancid and will make your stomach hurt if you take them when they are rancid. I've done that before and its NOT fun. I try to keep all my oil supplements in the fridge. They keep longer.
Just FYI, my mom was having terrible knee pain (arthritis) and started taking flax seed oil supplements (organic, and surprisingly from Sam's Club) and her knee problems went away. I take Nordic fish oil and it helps with fibromyalgia type stuff.

momof4
01-07-2009, 06:40 PM
Hi, I am an RN and took care of my grandma that had severe arthritis. I had some amazing results with some essential oils for her arthritis... It is very important to use pure therapeutic grade essential oils though. If you are interested let me know and I can give you the ones I used with her and how I helped her... Thanks!

waif69
01-07-2009, 06:49 PM
What essential oils?

jennvan40
01-07-2009, 09:25 PM
I'll second the essential oil comment. Please post more info.

phylm
01-11-2009, 09:02 PM
I tried Glucosamine/chondroitin back when it was first introduced, and wasn't too impressed. My osteo-arthritis came in "mirror" attacks: if one finger joint became inflamed, its mate on the other hand did, too. I quit taking it.

A few years later, my hands were beginning to curl, and most of the joints were greatly enlarged, and a new attack on a knuckle came on every couple of months or so. I decided to try it again. When I went into WalMart to pick up the gluc/chondroitin, they had a sale on the glucosamine alone. I bought a bottle and started taking one capsule twice a day. The results were very gratifying. I haven't had another flare-up since.

My husband was suffering with arthritis in both shoulders, so I talked him into trying it, too. A couple of months later, he suddenly noticed that he wasn't hurting any more.

Not only am I not getting worse, but the damage is apparently being repaired also. I can now place my hands flat on the table, and the joint knots are noticeably smaller. Still can't make a fist or play guitar, but I guess you can't have everything, huh? The glucosamine is much less expensive that the combination, which is also a plus.

As to the DMSO...that was being touted as a miracle substance some years ago, and you could buy it at most any flea market. I got some and had it with me when we were visiting our Utah family. Our little grandson tripped on the basement stairs and wound up with a bruised and abraded ankle. It was swelling and his parents tried various remedies, but finally relented and let me put some DMSO on it. I applied it. Of course it stung on the scraped skin, but the swelling, bruising, and pain was completely gone by morning. I would use it if I could find it...in moderation, that is. I don't use WD40, which contains DMSO, as some arthritics do. DMSO is a universal solvent. Don't know how it works in the body, but it does.

biomargaret
08-03-2009, 08:19 PM
Check out this site regarding DMSO and cancer research. :thumbsup:

http://www.cancer.org/docroot/ETO/content/ETO_5_3X_DMSO.asp?sitearea=ETO

tracie
08-04-2012, 11:03 AM

dimethyl sulfoxide

Aldon,
Did you ever try the DMSO? If so, what were the results?

Over the last several months, I have started to get some significant pain in my hands and feet.

It was recommended that I take a bit of borax. I've only been doing this for 4 days, so haven't seen results yet.

All of my hobbies require lots of small detail work. Having the use of my hands diminished would hurt in more ways than one.

Aldon
08-04-2012, 11:51 AM
i never got to the point where the risk vs gain analysis justified the experiment.

I have found that some carbohydrates cause inflamation.

Between losing some weight and changing my diet, I have a lot less aches and pains.

Toni
08-04-2012, 11:00 PM

dimethyl sulfoxide

I had a spouse who really liked it. When I tried it, however, it felt like it was burning my skin. Because of that I would never use it, nor would I recommend it to anyone.

iggy
08-05-2012, 01:48 AM
DMSO is a solvent, so when you apply it on your skin make sure your skin is clean and free of moisturizers, soaps, medicines, etc. as it enables those substances to enter into your pores and get into your system.

A side effect of DMSO is you will smell like either garlic or oysters. You will also taste this with out benefit of eating it.

I used DMSO on my hips, I used the diluted down stuff, and was very, very careful of what was on my skin before I put the DMSO on. One time I didn't get all of the moisturizing soap off. I could taste that dang soap along with the garlic, and I had diarrhea for two days. Couldn't leave the house, it was that bad.

I also used the stuff to clean up burnt on crab water off the stove. Wearing rubber gloves and drizzling a cap full on the range top, then smeared it around with a wet dish rag. Waited 5 minutes and that boiled on stuff came off easy.

When that bottle ran out I was unable to get any more. Started taking glouceamine and that helped, along with hot soaks in the tub and leg exercises to keep the hips limber. That was back in the late 70's.

To keep the joint pain under control, I see a chiropractor. Works wonders! One treatment every 2.5 to 3 weeks.

Justme
08-08-2012, 12:30 PM
I agree with Aldon,

i never got to the point where the risk vs gain analysis justified the experiment.

I have found that some carbohydrates cause inflamation.

Between losing some weight and changing my diet, I have a lot less aches and pains.

Eliminating wheat, sugar, and dairy took away all of my osteoarthritis. It only returns if I decide I can eat just a little of any of those. The reduction in pain came even before I lost a lot of weight from cutting out those foods.