PDA

View Full Version : The Fog Ate Your Soup

hmscarrie
01-24-2009, 01:45 AM
...but I still want the recipe.

Larna made this wonderful taco soup for tonight's party. But the fog led to some sudden braking that made half the soup spill in the car. It was a sad loss, because I wanted to eat more!

Everyone who came please share your recipe.

hmscarrie
01-24-2009, 01:55 AM
this is a several day process if you begin with sprouting the wheat. It can be done just by soaking the wheat, but will not have the same nutritional value as if the wheat is sprouted.

1. Sprouting the wheat:
Fill a jar less than halfway with wheat berries. Then fill the jar up with water. Let it soak for around 8 hours. Drain the water, then stand the jar on the counter and rinse twice a day for 36-48 hours or until the wheat has sprouted and the sprouts are as long as the berries.

2. Grind the wheat:
Put the sprouted wheat through a meat grinder. Not too many at a time--the dough is very sticky and can glue up the mechanism if you overload it.

3. Cook the wheat:
It then needs to be cooked or dried out in some way. A food dryer works well, or you can put it in the oven on low heat for several hours until it is not sticky. I put this batch in the oven. (you can put it on higher heat for shorter time but some nutrients are lost to heat.) I have also sauteed it in a little oil. (If you shape it in a small loaf, it makes a wonderful sweet bread with the consistency of chewy brownies. But that's another recipe.)

4. Hydrate the wheat:
This is where I add the flavoring. I took the dried wheat, which was too crunchy to eat, and soaked it in beef broth and taco seasoning, on low heat. I use it as a filling for tacos or tortillas, or mix with rice, beans and lettuce for a taco salad.

Aldon
01-24-2009, 12:28 PM
My Wife is counting calories so she made a dessert she could eat for the get together.

Low Carb Cheesecake

Here is teh link to the recipe. http://lowcarbdiets.about.com/od/desserts/r/lcarbcheesecake.htm

Here is the link to the topping recipe:
http://lowcarbdiets.about.com/od/desserts/r/strawberrysauce.htm

hmscarrie
01-29-2009, 01:39 AM
Okay, Larna, where's the taco soup? and Highland Sunrise, where's the salad? And Earthling, where's the record of the latest experimental cake? And Sunsinger, remind me what was in the salad.

Man, the mood I'm in right now, I'm all for having a dessert buffet. A week ago I was thinking virtuous and wanting to do a raw food session, but this week I say let's do the dessert thing.

Aldon
01-29-2009, 08:36 AM
I say let's do the dessert thing.

WooHoo!!!!:thumbsup::hurray::laugh::D:iagree:

FixItGuy
01-29-2009, 09:39 AM
ALDON I can see how much you'er into dessert , you rock, but if I trip on my way to the goodies Iwould just roll.
I always say, just enough supper to qualify for dessert . What to do? Mabe I could just learn to:puke:(just kidden) :l0 (52):

Any way lets paartay. :l0 (46):

hiccups
01-29-2009, 09:44 AM
Here's a thought: Doing a combo of appetizers and dessert always goes over really well at Enrichment Meetings. (Not that I get a vote... lol. I'm a bit far away.)

Highlandsunrise
01-29-2009, 10:49 AM
I have made this as below the years that we had bottled pears. The canned ones are hard and tasteless. We have had so many apples and peaches to do that we haven't attempted pears for a few years. It is wonderful with 2 cans of mandarin oranges and orange jello. Maybe I like it better that way. Best if you can make it the night before.

Under the Sea Pear Salad

1 quart pears (diced and well drained--save juice)
1 6 ounce pkg lime jello
1/2 tsp salt
2 cups boiling water
2 Tblsp lemon juice
1 8 ounce pkg cream cheese
1/4 tsp ginger
1 envelope Dream Whip mixed as directed
or 1 cup Spiffy Whip and 7/8 cup water

Drain pears, reserving 1 1/2 cups syrup. Dissolve jello and salt in boiling water. Add pear syrup and lemon juice. Measure 2 1/2 cups into mold. Chill until set, but not firm--about an hour.

Meanwhile, whip the topping to stiff peaks--set aside.

Soften cream cheese (in microwave--just a little--mixing every few minutes with wire wisk just until soft). Slowly mix in remaining jello and ginger. Beat until smooth. Stir in the whipped topping and then the pears. Spoon over set jello in mold. Chill until firm-about 4 hours. Unmold on a plate and refrigerate.