PDA

View Full Version : My Experiences with Raw Food Recipes

Toni
01-27-2009, 09:49 AM
I was asked to report my experiences with raw food recipes. I haven't tried the cake, bread, or cracker recipes yet because I don't have a dehydrator and you need one of those. I was wondering if I could use my sun oven and just keep an eye out on the temp. If it got over 115* F, I could turn it away from the sun (supposedly, the enzymes stay alive until 118*F - anyone know anything about this?).

I've only made one recipe so far and it was a tomato sandwich. Take one portabella mushroom (they are very large) and slice the cap off (I don't know what you're supposed to do with the stem - I just saved it). Put a slices of tomato on it. You're supposed to put onions on it but I didn't want to. It's basically an open face sandwich.

Taste - It wasn't too bad. (I did salt the tomatoes). The mushrooms are pretty mild tasting. It wouldn't take much imagination to think of them as bread.

Comments - I found it best to slice the cap thinner (so that two rounds were made out of one cap). I also cut it into fourths to make it easier to handle.

Not a very intricate recipe, I know. But, hey, it was my first experience. Now to figure out how to dehydrate w/out a dehydrator. I really want to try the cake, bread, and cracker recipes.

Edited to add: Please feel free to add your own raw recipes to this thread. Veggie salads and fruit salads count as long as all of the ingredients are raw.

signseeker
01-27-2009, 11:20 AM
So... is this tied into the Word of Wisdom somehow or just something you do for personal health reasons? Or getting prepared for the powergrid failure? :)

hiccups
01-27-2009, 12:13 PM
I've never done much with raw foods deliberately. I mean, I eat a lot of raw fruits and veggies as part of eating well, but I've not set out to do it as a raw food choice.

It does remind me a bit of how I ate in the two weeks prior to having my gall bladder removed. I'd been having some really painful attacks. I decided being as adverse to pain as I am, to see what I could do with diet to curb the attacks. I ate almost no fats, meats, spices or processed foods. (Bran cereal and rice milk being the notable exceptions.) I ended up eating a alot of fruits and veggies (not citrus or tomatoes, though.) I did a lot of cucumber sandwiches on multigrain bread with just salt for a condiment. That's the closest I've ever done to raw eating and obviously the breads and cereal weren't raw... rice milk either.

Ftr, it worked. I had no attacks in that two weeks. It wouldn't have been great for long term without bumping the protein and adding citrus back into it, but it served its purpose and opened my eyes to the power in our food choices.

signseeker
01-27-2009, 12:54 PM
I think raw fruits and veggies are totally healthy, too.

I really think our food choices may affect us more than most realize.

Earthling
01-27-2009, 01:40 PM
I think my dad is living to be 100 (March) because he was raised on a small farm where they raised their own food, meat, etc. including during the depression. I don't think he had a fast food hamburger until he was in his late 50's. Anyway, he likes plain and raw food - especially something he calls "dumpster salad" where he just throws in all the veggies he finds in the frig and garden. It looks disgusting but that is what tastes good to him.

Toni
01-27-2009, 07:27 PM
So... is this tied into the Word of Wisdom somehow or just something you do for personal health reasons? Or getting prepared for the powergrid failure? :)

I have a few books on raw foods and became interested. I don't know if I'd go totally raw. I'm a big believer in "if you grow it, it won't hurt you nearly as bad as if you buy it." This is referring to food. Meat is the scariest.

Anyway, I was wondering if I ate mostly or all raw foods if I would be healthier. If I became a proficient gardener and actually used most of the food from my gardens, it would be better health-wise and preparedness-wise.

Toni
02-03-2009, 12:34 PM
Well, I ordered a dehydrator but I don't know when it will come. When I get it, I plan on making a "cake," "bread," and crackers. It may be interesting.

Toni
02-03-2009, 12:35 PM
I've been thinking about the word of wisdom and raw foods. It doesn't say to eat them raw. It just says to eat them in season. I guess it's our own choice whether to eat them all raw, or some of the foods raw, etc.