PDA

View Full Version : Question from Food Storage Cookbook from Mesa Home Storage Center

WolfBrother
02-21-2009, 10:26 AM
I downloaded the Mesa Home Storage Center's Food Storage Cookbook.

I've been cut/pasting the entire cookbook from the pdf to MS-WORD so that I could increase the font size. Since I'm in my 2nd. Half-Century I've found my eyes do not read smaller print as well as they used to.

A number of recipes mention as an ingredient "dry soup mix". Nowhere in the cookbook can I find what makes up "dry soup mix".

I've done a couple of searches in this forum but have not found it.

What is the recipe for "dry soup mix"? I know it has macaroni because a couple of the recipes say to cook until the macaroni is done - they do not list macaroni as an ingredient but do have "dry soup mix".

Anyone?

Thanks,

WolfBrother.

cHeroKee
02-21-2009, 11:00 AM
maybe something like this:

2-1/2 cups (1 pound) dry lentils
2-1/2 cups (1 pound) dry split peas
2-1/2 cups (12 ounces) alphabet pasta
1-1/4 cups long-grain rice
1-1/4 cups dried minced onion

signseeker
02-21-2009, 04:26 PM
Isn't it the dry soup mix that the Church has in the #10 cans? Kinda' like Cherokee's list but it also has split peas in it. Hang on... lemme look... also looks like dehydrated carrot bits. It's called "Soup Starter Mix" on my label... I don't know if that's the same thing.

arbilad
02-21-2009, 05:08 PM
Sign seeker is right. It's a preparedness product available either canned or in bulk from the cannery.

jocarte
02-21-2009, 06:15 PM
where can I get that recipe book

KF7EEC
02-23-2009, 01:17 AM
I'd like a copy of that as well.

KF7EEC
02-23-2009, 01:21 AM
Sign seeker is right. It's a preparedness product available either canned or in bulk from the cannery.

I don't know if I'm just blind, but I'm not seeing this on the order form (http://www.providentliving.org/pfw/multimedia/files/pfw/pdf/120132_HSOrderForm_US_JAN_09_pdf.pdf), nor have I ever seen it at the Home Storage Center.

KF7EEC
02-23-2009, 01:26 AM
I downloaded the Mesa Home Storage Center's Food Storage Cookbook.

I've been cut/pasting the entire cookbook from the pdf to MS-WORD so that I could increase the font size.

Is this it? http://jl4c.org/provliv/mesa_cannery.zip Is so, they have it in Word format here.

arbilad
02-23-2009, 08:51 AM
They might have discontinued it again. When the cannery gets low on resources, there are certain products that they cut back on. You could always order dry soup mix from Walton Feed. Although I think that they still have a huge backlog of orders.

WolfBrother
02-23-2009, 10:53 PM
Is this it? http://jl4c.org/provliv/mesa_cannery.zip Is so, they have it in Word format here.

When I found it it was .pdf only. The way I did the cut/paste is with a larger font and I made sure the Table Of Contents lists every major section and each recipe.

I'm going thru now and finding the recipes that refer back to a specific page (from the old layout) and am updating those refer backs with the correct page in my copy.

It's a bit more work than just printing it out but when I'm done, it will be - for me - more useable.

WB

WolfBrother
02-24-2009, 10:30 AM
maybe something like this:

2-1/2 cups (1 pound) dry lentils
2-1/2 cups (1 pound) dry split peas
2-1/2 cups (12 ounces) alphabet pasta
1-1/4 cups long-grain rice
1-1/4 cups dried minced onion

Question due to ignorance - how sure are you on this?

The anal-retentive science guy part of me really adheres to formulas -- recipes.

If this is it - great - if not then anyone know what they're talking about?

WB.

Toni
02-24-2009, 11:31 AM
Is there a way to not have all 58 pages be it's own file? To open up 58 files seems like a real waste of time to me. Both PDF and Word downloaded like that.

phylm
02-24-2009, 08:37 PM
You don't make your own soup mixes? Or just toss a cup of this and a couple of handfuls of that into the crockpot? Add bouillon and whatever herbs tickle your fancy...maybe some of the tomato sauce you canned last year. (Tip: add a tablespoon or two of sugar to cut the acid of the tomato.) If you want to, add some freeze-dried chicken or beef along with the beans, rice, etc. You might want to jot down what you used for ingredients and the amounts, in case you hit on a concoction that you especially like. It'll be good anyway, but sometimes you hit on a batch that is outstanding. Be brave, and good luck.

KF7EEC
02-24-2009, 09:02 PM
Is there a way to not have all 58 pages be it's own file? To open up 58 files seems like a real waste of time to me. Both PDF and Word downloaded like that.

I agree. When I have some time, I'll combine it into one Word and/or PDF file.

WolfBrother
02-25-2009, 02:02 PM
I agree. When I have some time, I'll combine it into one Word and/or PDF file.

I've already done that. I'm in the process of going thru and updating embedded page references to match my word document. The original document was 50 something pages.

My cut/paste, change font Word document is 130 pages.

When I'm done, I'm going to ask one of the moderators to host the document for down load to make it available.

So far, I'm using the recipe for dry soup mix that cHeroKee listed above.

WB

WolfBrother
02-25-2009, 02:07 PM
WB edited to specific

You don't make your own soup mixes? Or just toss a cup of this and a couple of handfuls of that into the crockpot?

phylm - Yes and no.
Yes - When I'm cooking I will vary from a recipe or kinda/sorta make one up from what I've done before.
No - I tend to follow recipes to the letter. AND THEN if they're not quite right, I'll start variations and when I get one I like, will note the variations AND will follow the variation recipe to the letter from then on.

What I'm trying to do with the Food Storage Cookbook is get it as it was intended. I don't know what the ingredients/amounts are for what is listed as "dry soup mix" in that cookbook. Hence my original question.

WB