PDA

View Full Version : Ideas for great onions

Julie
02-24-2009, 12:54 PM
Plant once for Everlasting Bunching Onions

Nine years ago I planted one packet of white bunching onion seeds, and I?m still eating from the row. Each year I get the tastiest, earliest scallions you can imagine. I don?t do a thing all season except pull a few weeds now and then.

It?s important to plant a ?bunching? onion variety because these onions will not form a bulb. The bottoms stay thin all year long. Plant them where you won?t be tilling, such as next door to a perennial planting. I have mine near my black raspberries.

Plant the seeds thickly in early spring. Thin them a little with a rake when they come up, then let them grow. Harvest some of them when the stems are as big as a pencil, but leave plenty alone. Let them go right into the fall and winter. Don?t mulch them?they don?t need it.

In the spring they?ll come back and you?ll be able to harvest some very early scallions. Again, be sure to leave plenty of plants in the row. These will go to seed before too long. When they do, don?t do anything except admire the beautiful blossoms and watch the bees work them. You want the plants to reseed the row. A whole new group of onions will start to grow. They?ll winter over and send up early green tails the next spring. They?re about the
very first thing you can eat from your garden. You can pull some from the bed anytime, but you?ll find that the first handfuls in early spring have the best flavor.

http://garden.blogtells.com/2008/07/14/plant-once-for-everlasting-bunching-onions/

signseeker
02-24-2009, 12:56 PM
Pardon my gardening cluelessness... so these are going to be like green onions? That you snip with the scissors? Cuz they don't give you a bulb, like an onion you slice for burgers and stuff?

Julie
02-24-2009, 01:03 PM
These are green onions. Seeds do not store very well for onions so this is a way to have green onions without having to worry about seed. They seed themselves. Down here in Dixie we could have green onions year round this way.