PDA

View Full Version : Seeds for the '09 Garden

signseeker
03-27-2009, 08:42 AM
I went to Wal-Mart yesterday cuz I had this bad feeling I'd be standing there in front of the seed display and stuff I wanted would be gone. (Basically I needed peas and beans and melons.) The peas were completely gone.

I then went to Cal-Ranch and the peas were completely gone. By now I'm like :d0 (54): I'm never going to get peas AGAIN!! AAAAHHHH!! I really used to love peas... *sniff*... peas and corn mixed together with white sauce is a family recipe... *wiping tear*

Then I went to this little farm store and thank the mercies from on high, they had peas. I got two types, one snap and one shelling.

Just for a sec' though, I was starting to panic.

Another thing... this little farm store sells chicks, so I asked when they'd be coming in. He said they had one shipment of 150 chicks and they were gone in a day. I'm like :d0 (54):

He said it'll be real sporadic this year...

Earthling
03-27-2009, 09:17 AM
I started looking for seeds a month ago and already they were wiped out of the larger (therefore cheaper per oz) packages. I had a hard time finding the beans and peas I needed - went to multiple stores. I finally found them somewhere others weren't looking . . . Shopko!

phylm
03-27-2009, 08:36 PM
I order almost of our seeds online...Burpee, Gurney, Park's, Shumway, etc. Your seeds are delivered usually in less than a week. When you place one order, you'll not only get their seed catalogs, but numerous other catalogs from seed companies you never heard of. We got a terrific deal on the large Vidalia onion plants from a ranch in Texas. We have had good luck buying fruit trees, berries, etc. from catalogs, too. We've planted, and are planting, a lot of hybrid seeds this year, but are also buying many heirloom seeds to keep in cold storage for any coming shortage.

cHeroKee
03-27-2009, 09:05 PM
If you're in slc, utah or weber county go to mountain valley seeds or go to their website (mvseeds.com)and do will call or have them shipped.

signseeker
03-28-2009, 12:07 AM
Mountain Valley Seeds is actually the brand of peas I finally got. :thumbsup:

prairiemom
03-28-2009, 10:03 AM
I order almost of our seeds online...Burpee, Gurney, Park's, Shumway, etc. Your seeds are delivered usually in less than a week. When you place one order, you'll not only get their seed catalogs, but numerous other catalogs from seed companies you never heard of. We got a terrific deal on the large Vidalia onion plants from a ranch in Texas. We have had good luck buying fruit trees, berries, etc. from catalogs, too. We've planted, and are planting, a lot of hybrid seeds this year, but are also buying many heirloom seeds to keep in cold storage for any coming shortage.

I'm another one for ordering from catalogs. Not only is there better variety and availability, but the catalog has more information on the pros/cons of each variety as well as better information on how to grow them.