PDA

View Full Version : How Long Has it Been Since You Had a Garden?

Earthling
04-03-2009, 09:45 AM
M E R I D I A N M A G A Z I N E
How Long Has it Been Since You Had a Garden?
By Lucas Proctor

Has it been a while since you had a garden? Have you never had a garden? Does it seem like too much work? Do you not have any yard or space in your yard to plant a garden? These are many questions that may be your objections to having a garden. I say that gardens are so rewarding and giving that to pass up the opportunity to have one is a shame.

Let's work on those concerns.

First Concern: It's been a while since I had a garden. I had a garden growing up at home, but now I've grown up and moved out. I had a garden at my old house, but I've since moved and haven't got around to creating a new one. There are two equally important things to consider in choosing a location for your garden.

One: Gardens need light, lots of light . You need to pick a site for your garden that is optimally in sunlight as much of the day as possible (usually the South side in the Northern Hemisphere and vice versa for the Southern Hemisphere). You should also take into account any large structures or trees casting shadows. Light is the power that fuels fruit and vegetable production, so the more you have the better the potential yield.

Two: The other important thing in choosing the location of your garden is just that?the location. There is a time old saying-Out of sight, out of mind. If your garden is in a place out directly out of your sight it will be easily neglected. I suggest placing it in direct view of one of your windows.

The first thing to do after you have chosen your location is preparing the bed/soil. The soil is where all the vitamins, nutrients, and water will be fed to the plant. Generally the average homeowner's soil is not great but not terrible either. Whatever kind of soil you have (unless you have conditioned it for years) it is very beneficial to amend the soil with organic material of sorts. This material can be anything from high-end specialty store bought organic compost to simply shredding up leaves from your yard from last autumn.

You'll need to till the soil in with this organic material. This can be done with a roto-tiller or similar tool. Odds are someone you know owns one of these. If not, they are a common tool at machine rental shops. Once your soil is tilled and amended (and the weather is right) you are ready to plant!

Next Concern: I've never had a garden. I don't know what I need to do to get it going. I don't even own a shovel or any gardening tools. Don't worry. The key is to start small. You don't need a huge plot of unused land to have a garden. It's very easy to convert a sunny flower bed into a very productive small garden.

Mel Bartholomew has a wonderful method of gardening productively in small spaces. You may have heard of it before. It's called Square Foot Gardening. His methodology is very effective and very simple for beginners. He will also be running a column on Meridian describing the process in detail. I have used this method and highly recommend it.

Next Concern: Gardening is too much work. Gardening was the very first job ever prescribed to man. I believe gardening is a way to return the garden where mankind began. It reaches back to our origins. Gardening helps us to appreciate work, and it is not always easy. Gardening is America's #1 most popular hobby. It is work but still can be quite cathartic.

There are many things to do now to eliminate the menial tasks monotony. One of my favorite ways to do this is with new ways to do things. Disney's famed miser Scrooge McDuck has a saying, ?Work smarter, not harder.? I love this idea. There are so many innovations and one of my favorite places to get these is from a company out of New York. Lee Valley Tools has a tool for everything and new and better ways to do things that have always seemed hard or menial. There are many other places with innovative tools/methods as well.

You don't have to have the newest tool to work the smartest. The basic design of the shovel hasn't changed for thousands of years. I also subscribe that nothing works as good as good old fashioned work ethic. What better place to learn this ethic than playing in the dirt?

Last Concern: I don't have any space for a garden. I live in an apartment/townhome. There is no room in my small yard to grow grass let alone food to eat. There are so many people around the world in this situation. I lived in this situation for years. Believe me there is a way to grow things in very small apartments or large townhomes.

I would suggest starting with a window box garden. There are pre-built boxes and pots for this or you can make your own. This can be filled with herbs or flowers or many other things.

If you want to grow things inside you should put your box by a window or use supplemental lighting. There is a new kind of light that uses LEDs as a grow light. This makes it cheap, energy efficient, and space efficient. Most supplemental lighting is very expensive, energy inefficient, and bulky.

LEVE
04-03-2009, 10:06 AM
It's been over 25 years... I've a black thumb. The only thing I could grow was kids. The only plant that ever grew for me was one (yes, I said ONE) stalk of corn. It only grew because the kids threw out some old-maid popcorn off the front porch and one seed took root. I was about 7' tall when we harvested the baby ears from it and had them in a stew.

Oh how I wish I could garden... but it is never to be...

Paulg
04-09-2009, 07:43 AM
It's been many, many years. But I have just started a small space and it is small. I bought the book "Fresh food from small spaces" from Amazon. I'm using seft watering in a small container. See att pictures. If all goes as i am hopping will add more planters.
Paulg

signseeker
04-09-2009, 08:34 AM
I feel your pain, LEVE. I've tried things in the past - zilcho. DH sort of half-way does plant stuff and BAM! They grow for him like he was Ed Hume. I've planted 6 kinds of herbs and only two have started growing. They were planted 3/16. *sigh*

JayE
04-09-2009, 09:32 AM
We have a garden every year. While we are not expert gardeners, we are learning a little more each year. And isn't that the main purpose of gardening these days, to learn how to garden? Although, this year, out of necessity, I imagine that we will use our garden more effectively than in past years.

Earthling
04-09-2009, 10:43 AM
We got our cool season crops planted a couple of days ago before a nice storm hit to water it all nicely. Now there is an inch of snow on it again but it will melt and be fine. My seedlings started inside are doing ok but I got a late start so hope they are ready to go in time. I'm with Jay - not an expert but learn new things each year.

prairiemom
04-09-2009, 02:36 PM
Herbs aren't so easy. I'm lucky if I get 1 out of 10 parsley seeds to grow. Some herbs are just temperamental. If you got corn to grow you're ahead of me. I can't get corn to grow for love or money. But Jay's right, it's a learning process. Start with plants from the garden center (tomatoes, peppers, etc) and a few never-fail seeds: radish, zucchini, green beans.

signseeker
04-09-2009, 03:05 PM
1 out of 10 parsley seeds? Wow. Suddenly I have a renewed determination. :thumbup:

Earthling
04-09-2009, 03:42 PM
Here I am digging out parsley that has traveled a little from last year! Nice thing about parsley is I can kick off the snow (beginning or end of season) and there it is - not frozen! I've already used parsley & chives from my garden as they are perennials and doing fine . . .

signseeker
04-10-2009, 08:44 AM
My parsley and garlic chives have not sprouted yet. :frown5:

BUT! Five out of seven varieties of tomatoes are starting to sprout! :l0 (50): And I planted them last Sunday! Wheee! I'm still waiting on Eva's Purple Ball and Rutgers Select. Now the hard part - getting them from the starter tray to the garden. :001_ssleepy:

waif69
04-10-2009, 09:10 AM
I haven't been involved in gardening since I was a kid. This year we are planning on growing stuff. Potatoes and tomatoes and herbs and peppers (A friend and I will alternately grow tomatoes and peppers so we don't get cross pollination) and onions, and whatever else that we want to try to not kill. About 10 years ago we tried to grow a garden and we killed everything we planted, including a few trees. Hopefully, this year we will have better success.

phylm
04-10-2009, 03:24 PM
And, in sunny Florida, we had a freeze warning 3 days ago. ("Official" last frost date is March 15th here.) We went down to get a big free load of "horse manure" (mainly sawdust and shavings) and my husband buried our 6-inch high green beans, the melons, squash, and a number of other things with it, including our beloved mandevilla vines. Our summer squash and zucchini are already blossoming. We put up tarps on our blooming Satsuma orange tree and Meyer lemon and put lights under the tarps, and placed his mini-greenhouses over the tomato patch, then covered them with blankets. We put overturned plastic buckets over our pineapple plants, and wrapped the small fig tree in a blanket. Last of all, he turned on the overhead irrigation on the peas and strawberries, and we prayed that our cherry bushes and apples that had already blossomed and gone by wouldn't be injured.

My husband is 79 years old, and I myself am better now at doing the heavy looking-on, but our efforts paid off. Our younger cousins' garden, 500 feet away looks rather sick--green beans brown, and corn badly frosted. They will come back, I think, but it will take some time. Our broccoli was fine without cover, and I'll be picking snow peas again tomorrow.

The next day, a nursery order arrived after my hubby had uncovered the plants, so we set out seedless Concord and Flame grapes. The green grapes that are already established on the fence have many small grape bunches already forming. I'm hungrily eyeing the myriad wild blooming blackberry bushes across our driveway in the pine plantation. Our domestic berries aren't as far along. I may not be as good as gardening and berrying as I used to be, but I can still enjoy it, if I do have to drag a lawn chair along with me! Good luck, good people, with your gardens.

signseeker
04-10-2009, 08:42 PM
Update - 5 out of the 12 Eva's Purple Ball plants sprouted today. Yessss!

This is going to be fun. Maybe my kids will even talk about the memories they had growing up helping Mom and Dad in the garden...

Earthling
04-11-2009, 12:13 AM
My family is laughing as I talk to my little sprouts aka my babies . . . They were so happy I let them be outside today for a while. :l0 (46):

hmscarrie
04-11-2009, 04:00 AM
It's been two or three years for me, but it seems like an eternity. I have personal experience with Lucas Proctor's advice to pick a sunny spot; some years ago I picked the only untrafficked area of our yard to dig a garden, and dug down three feet and extracted all the clay undersoil. I replaced it with compost from the landfill, backfilled the topsoil I'd excavated, and planted my seeds. I couldn't understand at first why half of the plants thrived and half were small and scrawny. One day it dawned on me: one side was in the shade half the day, and the other side had full sun. Call it my own experiment in photosynthesis.

I think the reason gardening requires so much practice is because there are so many variables to keep track of.

But one thing I've observed is, unless you have some catastrophic problem like no sun or problem soil, if you just try to grow something, two things will happen:

1. You will have successes.

and

2. You will have failures.

Julie
04-11-2009, 08:38 AM
This year has been an unusual one for me. I'm going to have to replant about 1/4 of my garden. I don't know if it is because the weather has been hot and then cold or if the seeds I bought at the store (I usually order from Peaceful Valley) were not good but only a portion of my seeds came up. I lost my carrots to my dog who dug up that spot and I think ate my seed tape, but this won't be too hard. A small portion of my cucumbers came up and none of my squash has come up. Not all my green beans came up too. My green onions, garlic, white and yellow onions, tomatoes, and herbs are doing great.

signseeker
04-11-2009, 02:29 PM
Another reason we need a network of trustworthy friends: The Unexpected Gardening Downturn!! :thumbsup:

prairiemom
04-13-2009, 09:21 AM
This year has been an unusual one for me. I'm going to have to replant about 1/4 of my garden. I don't know if it is because the weather has been hot and then cold or if the seeds I bought at the store (I usually order from Peaceful Valley) were not good but only a portion of my seeds came up. I lost my carrots to my dog who dug up that spot and I think ate my seed tape, but this won't be too hard. A small portion of my cucumbers came up and none of my squash has come up. Not all my green beans came up too. My green onions, garlic, white and yellow onions, tomatoes, and herbs are doing great.

Please accept my condolences. I had the same thing happen last year and they were mostly catalog seeds, so I don't think you planted inferior seeds. I don't know what happened. The voles got to most of my vine plants--pumpkin, cantaloupe, melon, squash and most of my peppers. Grrrr.... But the rest--carrots, 1/2 of the beans and 2/3 of the rutabagas and almost all of the parsnips--just never came up. Very disappointing.

Julie
04-13-2009, 01:28 PM
What are voles?

hmscarrie
04-13-2009, 02:21 PM
Nasty little varmints.

prairiemom
04-13-2009, 03:52 PM
Nasty little varmints.

Yep, they're like mice only smaller.

Earthling
04-13-2009, 09:15 PM
My cat used to keep them cleaned out . . . we sure miss him!

signseeker
04-13-2009, 09:59 PM
Dude. I was at my mom's Saturday and guess what was laying by the back door? Two mouse carcasses. Did you know that a mouse's intestines are at least 2 feet long? Headless mice are fascinating to look at as well.

FREAKIN' SICKO CAT!!! :banghead:

Earthling
04-14-2009, 10:34 AM
Cats drop them by the back door as a kind of "present" . . . see the nice kitty is sharing! :001_ssuprised:

ghostcat
04-14-2009, 02:36 PM
FREAKIN' SICKO CAT!!! :banghead::lol:

signseeker
04-14-2009, 04:16 PM
Not to mention nice kitty isn't even ours!! It decided to "relocate" from across the street down the cul-de-sac. Why won't it GO HOME?!?! :sneaky2:

ghostcat
04-14-2009, 05:05 PM
Not to mention nice kitty isn't even ours!! It decided to "relocate" from across the street down the cul-de-sac. Why won't it GO HOME?!?! :sneaky2:Kitty knows a sucker when it sees one!!!:001_tt2:

Earthling
04-14-2009, 07:23 PM
If that nice kitty is eating the mice around your place, I would do all I could to encourage it to "hang around".

My neighbor didn't like cats and would even turn his hose on my cat if it came into his yard. He got a little more used to it and wasn't so nasty to it. One day he was working in his yard and the cat positioned himself about 10 feet away - wouldn't move. When the neighbor got to that spot to weed - the cat tried to keep him away. The neighbor saw what the cat was trying to warn him against . . . a big rattlesnake. After that . . . the neighbor liked the cat & even fed him gourmet cat food. That cat ran out to meet the guy every day when he came home from work - just like a dog.

phylm
04-14-2009, 08:19 PM
Dude. I was at my mom's Saturday and guess what was laying by the back door? Two mouse carcasses. Did you know that a mouse's intestines are at least 2 feet long? Headless mice are fascinating to look at as well.

FREAKIN' SICKO CAT!!! :banghead:

Your cat was feeding her family--YOU. Wait for the snake. :l0 (44):

Toni
04-15-2009, 01:47 PM
Not to change the subject from cats (ours keep the garden pests down a bit - we're down to 2 cats - the other 2 disappeared during the really bad weather that lasted more than a month).

I keep trying a garden every year. I am determined to get a watermelon (or any melon)! This year, I'm planning the shortest season melon I can find (minimum 65 days).

Last year, I killed a lot of my plants during the hardening off stage - because of airheadedness.

This year, I hope the plants I want grow better than the tumbleweeds. If I had a fence, I'd buy a lamb ($25 each) and stake it around our property to keep the weeds down.