PDA

View Full Version : Storing Seeds

signseeker
04-17-2009, 10:39 AM
I've bought some extra seeds to store. What's the best way to do this?

I've heard some people take the seeds out of the envelope and put them in Ziploc bags...

Thanks! :l0 (28):

prairiemom
04-17-2009, 03:01 PM
Like storing wheat: moisture, heat and light are all bad for seeds. You can freeze them if you know that the moisture content is 10% or less.

Airtight containers are good. Ziplock baggies are better than envelopes, but not airtight. If you have those seal-a-meal thingies that's good. But I would leave them in their envelopes so that you know what the type and brand are.

signseeker
04-17-2009, 05:17 PM
I'm thinking leave them in their envelope and put the envelopes in a jar in the back of the fridge. Good?

phylm
04-17-2009, 09:17 PM
I'm thinking leave them in their envelope and put the envelopes in a jar in the back of the fridge. Good?

Probably the best way to keep them. I hope so, because that's what we are doing. :coool:

phylm
04-17-2009, 09:20 PM

Seems like the best way to keep them. I just read that 40 degrees is the temp they should be kept at. I hope so, because that's what we are doing.

prairiemom
04-17-2009, 09:33 PM
I think that'd be fine. I'd just be cautious about moisture. Perhaps put some silica packets in? If you're not sure if the lid is airtight, you might make a gasket (the size of the mouth of the jar) out of craft foam.

signseeker
04-19-2009, 05:49 PM
Yeeeeahhh.... there must be some "craft foam" around here somewhere... NOT.

How 'bout tucking some paper towels in with them? :smile (3):

Highlandsunrise
04-19-2009, 07:08 PM
I washed and dried an old pickle jar, put a little diatomaceous earth in the bottom (to slurp up any moisture, I hope), then the seeds in their original packages, then the lid and into the fridge. Is the freezer better????

signseeker
04-21-2009, 09:48 AM
Yes, is the freezer better? Hello! Experts!

Then I'm sure we'll get into this - is it a deep freeze? Is it a frostless? What if the power goes out - what about freezing/thawing/freezing again? :willy_nilly:

Julie
04-21-2009, 10:03 AM
This is from my "The New Seed-Starters Handbook". I highly recommend this book.
"Seeds stored at home at temperatures between 32 degrees and 41 degrees, not freezing but cold enough to retard enzyme activity, usually keep well. Ideally,temperature should fluctuate as little as possible. If you do want to try keeping some seeds in your freezer, be sure that they are good and dry. High moisture in frozen seeds will spoil them. Also, be sure the seeds you're storing are ripe. Immature seeds don't freeze well."

Hope this helps.

signseeker
04-21-2009, 02:57 PM
Yeah, that helps. As far as the fridge vs. freezer question.

Now, you've opened up another question - how the heck do you know if your seed is mature enough?

Sign: You know, I'm thinking of putting you in the fridge until the SHTF, okay?
Seed: Fine! Don't even ask my opinion! Gosh! You're not the boss of me, you know!
(not mature enough)

Sign: I'm thinking I'll put you in the fridge for TEOTWAWKI, okay?
Seed: Yes, I'd be pleased to fill the measure of my creation and serve you in any way.
(mature enough?)

ghostcat
04-21-2009, 03:39 PM
Yeah, that helps. As far as the fridge vs. freezer question.

Now, you've opened up another question - how the heck do you know if your seed is mature enough?

Sign: You know, I'm thinking of putting you in the fridge until the SHTF, okay?
Seed: Fine! Don't even ask my opinion! Gosh! You're not the boss of me, you know!
(not mature enough)

Sign: I'm thinking I'll put you in the fridge for TEOTWAWKI, okay?
Seed: Yes, I'd be pleased to fill the measure of my creation and serve you in any way.
(mature enough?)Why is it that I can picture Sign on both sides of the first conversation, but only on the first part of the second?:l0 (20):

signseeker
04-21-2009, 04:08 PM
Why is it that I can picture Sign on both sides of the first conversation, but only on the first part of the second?:l0 (20):

That's called "self-imposed mental limits." :tongue (3):

Earthling
04-21-2009, 05:29 PM
OK - I am biting my tongue here not to comment on Sign fulfilling "the measure of her creation" part. I thought from other comments that she was big on that - some comment about "gotta keep the first commandments you know". :wink5:

signseeker
04-21-2009, 06:17 PM
And a fine biting of the tongue it was, Earthling. :l0 (45):

Earthling
04-21-2009, 11:52 PM
And a fine biting of the tongue it was, Earthling. :l0 (45):

ya - I'm good at that. :l0 (46):