PDA

View Full Version : If you could plant just 5 things...

Cowboy
03-10-2008, 03:57 PM
If you could plant just 5 things, what would they be?

zaksewski
03-10-2008, 04:26 PM
potatoes, wheat, dry beans, corn, and spinach.

Cowboy
03-10-2008, 04:30 PM
Wheat?

I am talking a backyard garden. I do not have a south 40 to plow and plant.:l0 (20):

thor610
03-10-2008, 05:47 PM
I think I would plant tomatoes, winter squash, potatoes, beans and carrots. My reasoning being that I use tomatoes in just about everything. I can use them fresh, canned,dried or frozen. I do not like squash, but I would plant these last 4 because they are all good winter keepers if you get the right variety. I like having fresh produce that will store well.

Lucy
03-10-2008, 05:49 PM
tomatoes, cukes, peppers, onions and a fruit thing (raspberries or strawberries maybe?). Do we really have to limit ourselves? cilantro, herbs, sweet potatoes Oh the list goes on and on. I don't think I would plant corn if my space was limited. Last summer we planted beans and the bunnies ate the plants.

Pilikia
03-10-2008, 06:10 PM
Umm,

acorn squash
peas
onions
potatoes
cucumbers

sarge712
03-10-2008, 06:56 PM
'maters, 'taters, yaller squash, green or pinto beans & onions. All of them grow well here in the Smoky Mountains of far Western NC. I have never had a good experience growing corn though. My dad could always pull it off but to me its just too much trouble and takes up too much room. The five I mentioned are local staples, space efficient and no brainers.

LarnaE
03-10-2008, 07:02 PM
Corn on the cob, ( my children would never forgive me if I didn't plant it.
Green beans. ( I love garden beans)
Red potatoes ( baby new potatoes cooked just right in a pot roast yummy)
Tomatoes, a sandwitch is so much better with a fresh tomatoe from the garden.
Squash

Abinadi
03-11-2008, 01:36 PM
Well there is one thing I have learned here and that is where to go for tators....LOL

Abinadi

Pilikia
03-11-2008, 03:06 PM
Idaho!!!!!!!!!

dlcorrell
03-11-2008, 04:25 PM
five things I would plant are pretty much the same thing I plant every year:

tomotes, lettuce, onions, peas, cucumbers ( I also plants herbs and greens)

There is more I plant but not much. I am still in the learning stages. I am getting better, but gardening does not come second nature to me.

Donna

phylm
03-11-2008, 04:40 PM
Depends on whether I were planting to furnish my survival food, or supplement my storage.

Survival: Corn, shell beans, winter squash, potatoes, green beans

Supplemental: Corn, green beans, swiss chard, tomatoes, potatoes

All of the above can be fairly easily dehydrated. Works best to blanch the green beans and potatoes first.

I would also keep chard, lettuce and herbs growing as house plants.

Abinadi
03-28-2008, 05:01 PM
What is the deal here, you all from Idaho with this love for tators? LOL

Abinadi

Morgan
03-31-2008, 10:01 AM
I have also felt the desire to plant as much of my property as possible. I put in raspberry canes against the West fence, and have 30 peat pots on the windowsill waiting for the last frost to pass, and lots of other seeds ready to be planted. I am pulling up sod in new areas to plant, am planting in other containers, and started "garbage can potatoes" in a storage bin. I know there is a risk of flood around here that may possibly wash everything away, and I know that it isn't generally "cost effective" to grow a garden if you have to buy all your tools up front, but I want to follow all counsel, commandment, or suggestion from the prophets. Who knows, with food prices going up like they are, it may turn out to be less expensive to grow your own, and I may have the opportunity of feeding more than my own.

My concern at the moment is thieves. Some members of our ward have complained because they sometimes find people in their gardens picking their produce. I know I must trust in the Lord, but I also bought locks for the gates, and plan to possibly put up a sign that says "Thou shalt not steal; Ask and ye shall receive." in Spanish and English. I'm also doing some planting in the front and some in the back, so maybe only the stuff in the front yard will get picked by freeloaders. But even if it all gets stolen or washed away, I still want to be obeying the counsel. I'm looking forward to the labor and fruits this year.

Abinadi
03-31-2008, 02:16 PM
Seems there are some hungery people over there. It might be nice to find out who the garden capers are and see if they indeed are in need of food. If they are sharing can be a real blessing.
I have not lived where anyone took anything out of my garden but if it happened this is what I would do. Maybe some missionary work to and maybe a new friend as well.
I want to take some plastic buckets and cut them in half...4-5 gallon size and drill a hole on each side and in the bottom for drainage. I would make a bail for the handle and line the bottom with rocks then fill with dirt...and plant away...16 carrots or tomatoes or whatever and know that if its to cold they can come into somewhere warmer.
I had thought about doing this with flowers in the front of the house as well.
Just some thoughts I had over the weekend as I have these buckets waiting some form of work todo.

Abinadi

jettsmom
05-29-2008, 11:58 AM
I would plant:

Tomatoes
green beans
onions
strawberries
potatoes

bokbadok
05-29-2008, 12:12 PM
What is the deal here, you all from Idaho with this love for tators? LOL

Abinadi

You can produce more food per sq. ft. with potatoes than with any other staple. They are very versatile, and unlike the grains, beans, etc, require no water to cook.

I'd do potatoes, tomatoes, carrots, green beans, and tree fruit (specifically peaches, then apples).

If I were to plant only two kinds of fruit, I would plant everbearing raspberries and peach trees. Easy to grow, the fruit is inferior and expensive in the stores, and extra fruit is easy to preserve for winter enjoyment.