PDA

View Full Version : Utah health officials warn swine flu risk serious; H1N1 death toll hits 8

Charsee
06-23-2009, 04:07 PM
<!-- / icon and title --> <!-- message --> By Heather May The Salt Lake Tribune

Robert Rolfs, Utah state epidemiologist, speaks to the Health and Human Services Interim committee Thursday on the public health response to the H1N1 flu outbreak. (Al Hartmann / The Salt Lake Tribune)

Two more Utahns have died after testing positive for the H1N1 swine flu, including the first death reported outside Salt Lake County.

A Davis County man and a Salt Lake County woman, both between the ages of 25 and 50, died Saturday, bringing the state's total to eight. Five deaths have also occurred among adults in the same age range, and a child under 18 has also died.

Utah has "one of, if not the most, active outbreaks in the country," state epidemiologist Robert Rolfs said Wednesday. And it's not clear why.

Last week, the CDC reported 44 deaths nationwide. A new total will be released Friday.

While H1N1 deaths are far fewer than the estimated 300 annual Utah deaths caused by seasonal flu -- which don't generate nearly as much attention -- Rolfs said there are three reasons to take H1N1 seriously:

? It is affecting young people, from children to people in their 50s, while seasonal flu mainly affects the very young and people older than 65.

? H1N1 is continuing to spread during the summer, when seasonal flu is dormant.

? Even if the spread dies down this summer, history shows pandemics return in a more severe form in the fall and winter. "A lot of what we're concerned about is its potential," Rolfs said.

Another challenge around the corner: When the vaccine now in development becomes available, there won't be enough for everyone. "It will have to be prioritized," he said.

Federal officials are still figuring out who should get the upcoming vaccine, which would be distributed through public clinics, not private doctors, to ensure the approved populations get it, Rolfs said.

He said people will need two doses, in addition to a seasonal flu shot. And officials will have to maintain public confidence in the vaccine when those inoculated report side effects, he said. In 1976, a mass vaccination against a different swine flu led to reports of people being paralyzed, even as the outbreak never materialized.

Rolfs said there is an "emerging belief" that inoculating school-aged children will limit the transmission in the general population. Health and Human Services Secretary Kathleen Sebelius told the Associated Press she has urged school superintendents to prepare to use their schools as shot clinics if the government decides to mass vaccinate.

Federal officials will decide who should get the vaccine based in part on how the novel virus behaves in the Southern Hemisphere this summer, where the flu season is just starting, she said.

The Swiss pharmaceuticals company Novartis AG recently announced it has produced a first batch of vaccine weeks ahead of expectations, according to the AP. It will be used for testing. More than 30 governments have requested vaccine supplies, including the U.S. Department of Health and Human Service, which placed a $289 million order in May.

The state health department reported Wednesday that 129 flu patients have been hospitalized. That's 39 more than the last time hospitalizations were reported on Thursday. Four have been among health care workers and 11 patients were pregnant. By comparison, 255 Utahns have been hospitalized for seasonal flu since the end of September.

For now, H1N1 is still considered a "mild" pandemic, with most of the ill recovering.

Based on its generic pandemic flu plan, Utah public health officials would consider 1,700 deaths a year to be a "moderate" pandemic and 16,000 deaths "severe." Those figures are based on population estimates and historic pandemics, and don't take into account advances in medicine.

One theory about why Utah seems to be suffering more from H1N1 is the state's younger population. Older people who have been exposed to several flus appear to have antibodies that help protect them, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

Nathan Dean, chief of pulmonary critical care at Intermountain Medical Center in Murray and LDS Hospital in Salt Lake City, also hypothesizes that younger patients are having an "overreaction" to the virus, triggering a "vigorous inflammation response" that can cause septic shock and adult respiratory distress syndrome, which lands them in the hospital.

Local health departments are no longer reporting whether the patients who die have underlying health conditions that would have put them at higher risk for complications. Rolfs said that is because it risks breaching patient confidentiality and it can be seen as blaming the victim. Plus, many Utahns have the risk factors: being pregnant or obese, having asthma or diabetes, he noted.

http://www.sltrib.com/nationworld/ci_12607907

Charsee
06-23-2009, 04:07 PM
With some sick Utahns reporting difficulty getting treated for the flu, the state health department advised:

? Patients with flu-like symptoms can be treated with antivirals like Tamiflu without confirmation that they have the flu, since the rapid tests can be inaccurate.

? Treatment is especially important for those with serious symptoms and who are at risk for complications, including those who are pregnant, under age 5, or have chronic medical conditions.

? Antivirals should be "strongly considered" to prevent the flu among people who have been exposed to the virus and are at risk of complications.

? Once you have a prescription, call pharmacies to ensure they have antivirals on hand, since some report being out.

TheSwally
06-23-2009, 04:28 PM
I would guess our higher rate is due to the percentage of resident that attend Church. Although I've never seen the number, I would guess it's higher than the national average...maybe?

Charsee
06-23-2009, 04:31 PM
My thoughts too...and youth camps.

goldilocks
06-24-2009, 06:52 AM
Okay so how many in Utahn's die every year from regular flu ? They never seem to conscentrate on that or report it like they are this flu.

we need to put this into perspective IMO

CurtisG
06-24-2009, 10:56 AM
My thoughts too...and youth camps.
There was a little blurb on the local news about problems with the flu at summer camps.
Hearing news reports about flu while i sit here in 90 degree weather is a new one for me.
I have NEVER gotten a flu shot, but will consider it this year.(assuming they dont run out) I think this Fall may have some nasty surprises.

Cowboy
06-24-2009, 12:43 PM
Just keep fit and drink your orange juice.

This message brought to you by the citrus growers of America.

LarnaE
06-24-2009, 12:45 PM
Do you have to go to the doctor when you have swine flu, or is it possible to treat it at home? I really don't like going to the doctor, but I will if I have to. So far everyone in my family is well and healthy. My sons are going to Especially For Youth on Monday. We got a letter saying that if you have any symptoms at all then they will send you home.

Cowboy
06-24-2009, 12:48 PM
I would go to the doctor if you develop flu symptoms.

Charsee
06-24-2009, 01:26 PM
There was a little blurb on the local news about problems with the flu at summer camps.
Hearing news reports about flu while i sit here in 90 degree weather is a new one for me.
I have NEVER gotten a flu shot, but will consider it this year.(assuming they dont run out) I think this Fall may have some nasty surprises.

I know the flu is scary but to me so are the shots. There is mercury and other metals and chemicals in the serum that poison your body and suppress your immune system. Now some people may be healthy enough to take a little poison here and there and not have any bad effects. Please think about this...it takes months to grow the culture to create a new vaccine. The flu that was present months ago will not be the flu present in the fall. There are already three mutations being reported which makes it more communicable and more mutations are expected as South America has only just started their flu season.

Aldon
06-24-2009, 01:35 PM
I am not a doctor nor do I purport to know much about this stuff, but I stayed at a holiday Inn Express last night:)

Just kiddding....I have a personal friend who is PHD and also hhas PHD in toxicology or dsomething like that.

He makes it his business to know this stuff and I have some thoughts based on listening to him.

Doctor is best if you are able to visit them and if it is viral they will likely use Tamiflu.

There is another drug which Japan uses since they do not use Tamiflu from what I have been told. Tamiflu being outlawed there for some reason.

The Drug they (Japan) uses is actually a bit more effective against this strain of flu if my insider info is correct.

If Doctor is not accessible which may happen in a large scale quarantine, then if we are able to do so we should have some items put away to deal with Viral infections.

Elsewhere on this site Elderberry syrup was mentioned with link to purchase the dried berries. It has actually been shown to be more effective than Tamiflu if started after symptoms start.....So the Syrup is not necesarily a preventative. But then, it is not likely that there will be enough Tamiflu around to use preventatively either.

There are issues with Collodial silver as it can indeed have complications if you takee enough of it. But the ASAP silver which is generally sold next to collodial on the shelf is actually a plasma, which has the benefit of the silver but passes through the body completely and does not cause the blue an thing that collodial can.

And then there are some Essential oils that are affective against some Viral infections.

I personally am putting my money on the shotgun affect. I have supplies of all the above including as Cowboy mentioned Vitamin C with the cofactors which is what taking it in OJ will do since it is a whole food. Remeber Vitamin D and selenium as well.

The real issue with some of these really nasty virus' is taht you aremore negatively impacted by the symptmatic issues than by the virus.....meaning that your lungs start to fill with fuid and you may expire from bacterial Pnuemonia rather than the Flu.

The Bacteria that hits your lungs is tenacious and tough to deal with.

I have an nasal sprayer that will allow me to inhale the ASAP water.

All said, I hope to be able to have Doctor and medical care should I get it.

arbilad
06-24-2009, 03:23 PM
I personally will not get the swine flu shot. Ron Paul stated that the last time there was a swine flu problem, more than 30 years ago, one person died from the disease, and 500 from the vaccine.
Hopefully I will have a choice in whether to get the swine flu vaccine or not.

signseeker
06-24-2009, 03:55 PM
I'll never get the flu shot, either. And funny, the first time my mom finally gave in and let them give her the pneumonia shot? You guessed it - that was the first year she got pneumonia. Fool me once...

Incidentally, I have my kids get the "routine" shots for things like measles, etc. I don't believe in vaccinating for a quick-mutating virus.