PDA

View Full Version : Verticillium wilt and proper composting

Wasatch Rebel
08-09-2009, 05:17 PM
Okay, so I know about garden rotation of vine crops and tomatoes so as not to get verticillium wilt in the plants. But what about tilling old vines and old tomatoes into the garden? Doesn't that prolong verticillium? So like the year I plant corn in the garden, if I tilled tomato scraps into it, would I be introducing more problems that would take extra time to get out of the soil? If you know the answer to this, I really wanna know.

cHeroKee
08-09-2009, 05:39 PM
Okay, so I know about garden rotation of vine crops and tomatoes so as not to get verticillium wilt in the plants. But what about tilling old vines and old tomatoes into the garden? Doesn't that prolong verticillium? So like the year I plant corn in the garden, if I tilled tomato scraps into it, would I be introducing more problems that would take extra time to get out of the soil? If you know the answer to this, I really wanna know.

Tilling the tomato scraps in the soil will not introduce more problems because the fungi is already in the soil.

Infection takes place directly when the fungus threads enter the root hair. The wilt organisms usually enter the plant through young roots and then grow into and up the water conducting vessels of the roots and stem. As the vessels are plugged and collapse, the water supply to the leaves is blocked.

Verticillium fungi are widespread and persist several years in soil, a long crop rotation (4 to 6 years) is necessary to reduce populations of these fungi. Avoid using any solanaceous crop (potato, tomato, pepper, eggplant) in the rotation, and if Verticillium wilt is a problem, also avoid the use of strawberries and raspberries, which are highly susceptible. Rotate with cereals and grasses wherever possible.

Hope this helps

Wasatch Rebel
08-09-2009, 06:12 PM
Well, if it's in the soil, and you're telling me to avoid tomatoes, potatoes, etc., then if I till in tomato scraps that I bought elsewhere to can or whatever, may I not be introducing vm into the soil, even if I've rotated out of actually growing those plants?

And secondly, aren't cucumbers, melons, and squash also susceptible? So would I need to keep all of those plants that you mentioned, plus the cucumbers, etc., that I mentioned out of the rotation for 3 years?

And could I plant corn, carrots, and peas instead?

cHeroKee
08-09-2009, 06:30 PM
Verticillium wilt can affect all cucurbits. Avoid planting where potatoes, peppers, eggplants, tomatoes, or cucurbits have previously been planted. Some resistant varieties are available.

Verticillium wilt seldom kills tomato plants but reduces their vigor and yield.

The fungus survives as microsclerotia in the soil. Once established in a field or garden, it persists indefinitely and can cause disease whenever a susceptible host is planted. A large number of crops and weeds serve as hosts. The disease is favored by cool soil and air temperatures.

Once you notice signs of wilt on your plants, there's really nothing you can do to prevent further damage during the current growing season. There are two things to do to ensure crop health in the upcoming gardening season. First, don't plant tomatoes in the same spot for at least three years, but five years is even better. This will allow the fungus in the soil to reduce enough (without tomato roots or other Solanaecae family members to feed on) to make it safe to grow there again. Also, if Verticillium wilt has been a recurring problem in your garden, look for varieties that are wilt resistant. These will be labelled with a "V" somewhere on the plant tag or seed packet, near the variety name.