PDA

View Full Version : I made food out of wheat

Baconator
09-14-2009, 12:06 PM
This weekend I took wheat and turned it into bread! It's heavy from a bit too much flour, I think, and slightly sweet since I used white wheat instead of red, but it's bread.
It was a fun learning experience and I hope to learn more through eating my mistakes (there are worse ways to learn).
Because it came out sweet, I started researching and started seeing things like 'tannins' and 'phenolic compounds' which I translated to mean "only use honey for the yeast" but it's better than a bitter bread by far (There's a 'Betty Botter' joke in there someplace).
I used a recipe I found at http://wholewheatbreadrecipe.blogspot.com because it has few steps, minimal ingredients, and is easy to follow.

Yes, a 41 year old man can get excited about baking stuff!:w00t:

waif69
09-14-2009, 01:25 PM
Congrats! I got excited making bread a few years ago, I am hoping that we make some soon again. We finally got a wheat grinder about a month back, now we need to use it. :-)

Baconator
09-14-2009, 01:32 PM
A hand-crank grain mill is a good core workout, too! I can see why people use electric, but I need the excersize.

signseeker
09-14-2009, 02:34 PM
I'm excited to get into baking once this canning is done... :)

waif69
09-14-2009, 04:44 PM
when are you gonna make food out of bacon?

signseeker
09-14-2009, 04:58 PM
Bacon stands alone and is a food unto itself.

KF7EEC
09-14-2009, 10:06 PM
Good job! I like to make cookies with my wheat! :)

Rambling Rose
09-15-2009, 06:50 AM
I'm getting hungry!!

Baconator
09-15-2009, 07:53 AM
Mmmm. Cooookies. My wife won't let me raise my own bacon. To her, food animals are indistinguishable from pets. She has no problem eating meat. She just can't handle meeting her food face to face.

ghostcat
09-15-2009, 12:11 PM
Mmmm. Cooookies. My wife won't let me raise my own bacon. To her, food animals are indistinguishable from pets. She has no problem eating meat. She just can't handle meeting her food face to face.I was always told by my farmer relatives to not play with my food!!!

waif69
09-17-2009, 07:44 AM
Mmmmm, bacon cookies?

LarnaE
09-17-2009, 08:21 AM
A hand-crank grain mill is a good core workout, too! I can see why people use electric, but I need the excersize.

I made wheat bread with my hand-crank and it was alright. It was better if I put in some White bread flour with it, but then I made some wheat bread with my friends electric wheat grinder and it was so much better. I didn't add any white flour and it turned out amazing. Someday I will purchase me one.