PDA

View Full Version : Can Mormons be Masons?

CurtisG
10-21-2009, 12:18 PM
Reading the thread about the new Dan Brown book has me wondering if Mormons are allowed to be Masons.
I know that the Catholic Church prohibits it, and i think some Protestant denominations frown on it as well.

JayE
10-21-2009, 12:27 PM
The official answer would come from the "Church Handbook of Instructions", which outlines all church policies. But, I can tell you that there is no reference to Masons or the Masonic Order in that handbook. That means that there is no church policy on it, so there is no restriction.

Many of the early church leaders, including Joseph Smith, were Masons. I am not aware of any current church leaders, or even members being Masons.

Having said that, I have not read any Dan Brown books, but I suspect that he may draw a connection between Masons and the Illuminati. That there is a connection is true, but only a very small percentage of Masons are even aware of it. Also, that connection existed only in European lodges until it was brought to the American lodges in the late 1800's by a man named Albert Pike. Anyone who tries to link Joseph Smith, or any of the founding fathers of this country to any Illuminati connection through the Masons is lacking in understanding the facts.

NRA
10-21-2009, 12:30 PM
Here is only my option because I read it somewhere. It used to be that they could be both but somewhere along the way that was repealed.

Besides, what would be the point? Is there anything that Mason's have (truth) that can't be had in the LDS church? If there is, I would like to know what it is. I just don't think there is anything good to be gained by being a Mason nowadays.

LoudmouthMormon
10-21-2009, 03:13 PM
This question gets asked all the time, and there's usually a handful of LDS Masons that stand up and announce they exist.

My personal opinion: Masonry is a fun club with a social conscience - that's about it. Oh sure, they keep the martians under wraps and control the British Crown, but that's secondary to beer and ping-pong.

LM

NRA
10-21-2009, 03:38 PM
:cheers2::smilielol5::rofl::yikes:

waif69
10-21-2009, 04:44 PM
One thing that kept me from being a mason is the time required as a participating member. I don't even do much with the VFW anymore since we had kids. There are some very fine organizations but you have to determine where you are going to put your time, as for me and mine we don't have time.

GAMom
10-21-2009, 05:31 PM
There are a couple of things that apply here - one has been stated, "what would be the point? Is there anything that Mason's have (truth) that can't be had in the LDS church?" the other is - they are filled with rituals and ceremonies that are not at all like the temple ceremony - although there may be simularities. I know that the women's branch - the Eastern Star - has nothing at all simular or relative to what we as Temple worthy LDS members have access to or know.

These statements come from my personal expreience and from the knowledge of my parnets who were both active in the Masonic Order prior to their joining the LDS Church. My father would not speak in detail about the ceremonies in the Masonic Order - he still respected the oaths & covenants he made there, but to say that they were simular, but not the same. He also said that the Temple contains the fullness of what we should know from our Heavenly Father.

As to the Masons being just a glorified social club, I can't speak to what they are today, but back in the 50's -60's - and the group that my parents belonged to, they were not that way. They did have their social activities, Pancake Breakfasts, ect, but even those were to raise funds to donate the money to specific needs in the area. Otherwise, it was a form of worship for them and they took it extreemly seriously. Ofcourse there may have been other groups that did not take things so seriously.

Just to make all this complete, I was in the Rainbow Girls (the orginization for young women - high school age till married or adult, my brother in Demolay (the same for the teen boys - but just for the guys, my mother was an Eastern Star, and my father a Mason.

I hope this helps you some.

Equanimity
12-29-2009, 11:41 PM
All I know is my father went though initiation the 70's and attended for awhile and he said it was purely satanic.

supersc
12-30-2009, 04:14 AM
Yes, LDS members can be (and some are very active) Masons. Not a problem.

signseeker
12-30-2009, 09:23 AM
I agree with GAMom. My dad's family were Masons... and also in the Church. My dad was a 32nd degree in the Scottish rite and a Knight Templar in the York rite. I have my grandmother's Eastern Star watch. They (and this was in the 60s and earlier) were not about beer and ping pong any more than we're about picnics and green jello. You heard of Shriners hospitals? They do a tremendous amount of good. I met a mortician on my mission who was a Mason... great man. He wouldn't *quite* commit to the discussions yet, but was very respectful of our Church. I think the time factor has a lot to do with it for most.

Noahs ARK
12-30-2009, 03:23 PM
My mother, 2 sisters & 1 brother were raised in the Masonic Orphanage. Her mother died from "consumption" (TB) when she was just 3 years old and her father couldn't continue working and care for 4 small children. They weren't put up for adoption, but lived there for years.

The Masons paid for their schooling, clothing, food & shelter, etc.

One of the Masons at the orphanage was also a Mormon. He introduced my mom to the church when she was 16 and she joined when she was 17.

She's been an active member ever since.

So I guess the answer is "yes".....Mormons can be Masons.

althor
12-31-2009, 12:21 AM
Oh sure, they keep the martians under wraps and control the British Crown, but that's secondary to beer and ping-pong.

I thought that the 'Stonecutters' were responsible for that!

cookslc
01-03-2010, 09:35 AM
See http://connect2utah.com/content/fulltext/?cid=61791

and http://www.deseretnews.com/article/1,5143,695265549,00.html

and http://www.mormontimes.com/arts_entertainment/news/?id=12535

JayE
01-03-2010, 04:58 PM
See http://connect2utah.com/content/fulltext/?cid=61791

and http://www.deseretnews.com/article/1,5143,695265549,00.html

and http://www.mormontimes.com/arts_entertainment/news/?id=12535

Thanks for these links and welcome to the site.

So, are you related to the "Glen Cook" in these articles?

Aldon
01-03-2010, 08:22 PM
I am of the opinion that if we use the filter of "Does it contain unknown truths" or "Untainted by Gadianton influences", then we will severely limit ourselves from interfacing with any citizens outside the LDS faith.

That is not to say that I believe we should all rush out and become MAsons, but that we need to realize that if we are to have positive influence on others outside the faith, we have to interface with them occasionally.

The Council on Fortiegn Realations has certainly been tainted, yet it is not blacklisted as surely as being a member of the Masons.

I beleive that much as the Lord made use of the Laminites for good, the social efforts made by the Masons can be positive.

Here in LDS Central, I personally see no benefit in such, however, when in the mission field, I might take a different tact.

constable01
06-10-2011, 03:27 PM
My former Bishop almost a second father to me told me and i don't know, never checked, he gave up being a mason because even though Joseph Smith was also a Mason, other Masons participated in his murder, so he quit the organization because he said when Masons hurt other Masons they are not following the dictates of their own organization and are therefore hypocryytical.

I don't know if either JS or anybody was in the mob was but that was his take on the organization anyway.