PDA

View Full Version : Emergency Heater in a Can

cHeroKee
12-13-2009, 10:54 AM
Emergency Heater in a Can

I haven't used this but thought I'd pass it on. The can seems like it would get hot so watch out.

Uses:
Heater in Home
Heater in Car during winter months.
Heater for Camping
Heater for your 72 hour kit.
Supplies:
1 empty quart can (you can purchase at any paint store)
1 bottle of rubbing alcohol
1 roll of toilet paper (with cardboard removed)
paint can opener (you can purchase at any paint store or mini philips screwdriver. )
pack of matches or lighter.
To make as a gift: Remove core of toilet paper. Fold the roll of toilet paper in half and stuff into the empty quart can. Put the can and the rest of the items in a ziploc bag separately so the recipient may pour the alcohol in the can when heat is needed. Copy the text below and include it with the kit.
Assembly for Use:

Remove core of toilet paper
Fold the roll of toilet paper in half and stuff into the empty quart can.
Slowly pour 1 pint alcohol into can.
Light w/ lighter or match.
To extinguish, replace the lid.
Put the following instructions in with the rest of the items.

Instructions for using Emergency Car Heater:
Use 70% isopropyl alcohol-any higher percent the flames could be too high. Do not use scented alcohol, it will smell awful in your car. 4 pints of isopropyl will keep a car 60 to 70 degrees for 24 hours. They are extremely safe and don’t produce carbon monoxide.
Warnings: Be careful the can rim will be hot to touch during and for a while after burning, although the can could be held from the bottom even while the heater is burning. It is suggested that you carry a metal pan or cookie sheet or fold a square of tin foil into fourths to set the heater on. Do not pour more alcohol on the heater while burning. Wait for it to burn out or smother with metal lid.
**It is recommended that you keep a window cracked open while burning the heater.**
This heater is NOT recommended for cooking!

I would strongly encourage you to read the MSDS on isopropyl alcohol:
http://msds.farnam.com/m000673.htm
http://www.hvchemical.com/msds/isal-70.htm

ghostcat
12-13-2009, 12:54 PM
Yeah it will get reallll hot!!!! We used a variation of that (different fuels in a #10 can) in our ceremonies in the Order of the Arrow. on one occasion one of our boys grabbed a can which had been knocked over, he had 2nd degree burns where ever he had touched the can. Caution is definitely in order when they are in use.

celebrate life
12-13-2009, 05:15 PM
Uses:
Heater in Home
Heater in Car during winter months.
Heater for Camping
Heater for your 72 hour kit.

To increase heat output, you can place the can under a wire rack sitting on bricks and then place a clay flower pot upside down over the flame. The pot should be just bigger than the can, but not smaller. The heated pot does a tremendous job of radiating the heat. You can also use the flower pot on a gas stove. We use them on our wood burning stove to increase the heat out put. *** Use with caution as the flower pot gets extremely hot and cannot be moved even with oven mitts without burning your fingers.

celebrate life
12-13-2009, 05:21 PM
This heater is NOT recommended for cooking!

Why not?

I have used this for cooking and demonstrate it when teaching cooking without power classes. I have not used it extensively because I prefer other methods, but I have not had problems using it cooking that I know of. Any insights into the above statement would be appreciated.

This method can be a great option for a couple of reasons, one of which is affordability. Every one can afford heat and cooking. This costs less than two dollars and is quite compact.

FixItGuy
12-14-2009, 12:30 PM
:auto: Running to paint store . Need to buy empty can's .
I think this would make good Christmas gift's for the neighborhood.
Thanks to cHreroKee I will add his heater idea to popcorn balls.

Noahs ARK
12-14-2009, 04:47 PM
Just a quick question - once the alcohol and toilet paper have burned up, can you use the can over again or do you need to start fresh with a new can?

Cuz I need to know how many empty cans to buy from the paint store!! :l0 (55):

cHeroKee
12-14-2009, 05:15 PM
Just a quick question - once the alcohol and toilet paper have burned up, can you use the can over again or do you need to start fresh with a new can?

The temperature of the flame will be ~ 100?F. The paint can is made of tinplate and will with stand the heat of the flame but will most likely deform over time.

FYI: I would think about modifying the the original design: Use a 1 gallon paint can for the outer can and use a small paint can that will fit inside; using something like kwool as a heat shield between the two cans. This should allow one to pickup the outer can without getting burned. In addition it will help by not heating up things around the can (if you were to use a single paint can. Just some safety thoughts.

I would strongly encourage you to read the MSDS on isopropyl alcohol:
http://msds.farnam.com/m000673.htm
http://www.hvchemical.com/msds/isal-70.htm

and include a copy with those you give the present to.

Noahs ARK
12-14-2009, 05:16 PM
To increase heat output, you can place the can under a wire rack sitting on bricks and then place a clay flower pot upside down over the flame. The pot should be just bigger than the can, but not smaller. The heated pot does a tremendous job of radiating the heat. You can also use the flower pot on a gas stove. We use them on our wood burning stove to increase the heat out put. *** Use with caution as the flower pot gets extremely hot and cannot be moved even with oven mitts without burning your fingers.

Just a regular unpainted clay flower pot? Does it have to be treated in any way before using it to radiate the heat?

Gosh - I'm learning so much on this site!!

cHeroKee
12-14-2009, 05:17 PM
Just a regular unpainted clay flower pot? Does it have to be treated in any way before using it to radiate the heat?

Gosh - I'm learning so much on this site!!
no heat treating necessary-- can made of tinplate

Noahs ARK
12-14-2009, 05:18 PM
FYI: I would think about modifying the the original design: Use a 1 gallon paint can for the outer can and use a small paint can that will fit inside;

Thank you! I was just getting ready to ask about this.

celebrate life
12-14-2009, 05:47 PM

I have a friend who has used the same can with the same TP in it for 10 years or so. If you put the flame out about every hour and top off the can with alcohol, it will burn indefinitely. I have heard that it will burn 6-8 hours if you don't add any alcohol, but I have never let mine burn down. I always start with a full can and have not burned it for more than a hour.

celebrate life
12-14-2009, 05:55 PM
Use 70% isopropyl alcohol-any higher percent the flames could be too high. Do not use scented alcohol, it will smell awful in your car. 4 pints of isopropyl will keep a car 60 to 70 degrees for 24 hours. They are extremely safe and don?t produce carbon monoxide.

I just noticed this. I have some 90% isopropyl alcohol from Walmart that I got because it burns more efficiently because it has less water. I will have to try it and see if the flame gets too high. This is the first time I have heard of this warning.

I have used denatured alcohol too. Some people will only use denatured alcohol because it burns cleaner and more efficiently. It also costs more. Your alcohol stoves that you buy commercially generally use denatured alcohol.

Noahs ARK
12-20-2009, 10:11 PM
Tomorrow is the big day - I'm hitting the paint store for quart and gallon cans.

I'll experiment in the carport....wish me luck! :001_07:

Why do we have to take the cardboard out of the roll of TP? Anyone know?

celebrate life
12-21-2009, 07:52 AM
Tomorrow is the big day - I'm hitting the paint store for quart and gallon cans.

I'll experiment in the carport....wish me luck! :001_07:

Why do we have to take the cardboard out of the roll of TP? Anyone know?

Good luck! Let us know how it goes.

You take the cardboard out for two reasons that I know of. First, it is much easier to squeeze into the quart can without the cardboard and second, the cardboard creates more soot. At least that was what I was told when I asked the same question a few years ago.

Noahs ARK
12-21-2009, 05:07 PM
Good luck! Let us know how it goes.

You take the cardboard out for two reasons that I know of. First, it is much easier to squeeze into the quart can without the cardboard and second, the cardboard creates more soot. At least that was what I was told when I asked the same question a few years ago.

Ahhhhh - that makes sense. I guess the TP would be easier to squeeze into the can!

Thanks for answering.

I got my paint cans - the small ones fit inside the gallon size. (Using the small cans inside the large cans will require using the smaller TP rolls - not the 'doubles')

I got my 70% alcohol - one for each can.

Had planned on testing one of them in the carport, but it's already dark and rainy outside.

Tomorrow for sure! :smash:

The only thing - the gallon sized paint cans are LINED - the paint guy said the lining will probably crack, but the can won't. I hope this experiment doesn't explode in my face, but the paint guy said it "shouldn't".

*Gulp!*

Noahs ARK
12-22-2009, 03:42 PM
Ok - reporting in with my experiment.....

I put a small roll of toilet paper (minus the cardboard roll) inside the empty quart paint can.

I put the quart paint can inside the gallon paint can.

I put crumbled-up aluminum foil between the quart can and gallon can, so that it wouldn't slide around inside the gallon can if I had to move it.

I poured HALF of the 32-oz bottle of 70% alcohol into the small paint can and waited for the TP to absorb as much as it could.

I put the can inside my fireplace, on top of the grate and made sure the flue was closed.

I lit the TP and it burned steadily for 2-1/2 hours. The large can got hot, but the aluminun foil helped buffer the heat, I think.

I stood 2 ft away from the fireplace and couldn't feel any heat. I moved the can out of the fireplace and put it on the hearth - then I could feel it, but was within about 6" of it.

Once the flame went out, the can cooled off rapidly.

No odor other than the burning TP, which actually smelled like a burned marshmallow!! :lol:

I don't know that I'd count on this to keep me warm in my car, esp in really cold weather.

Tomorrow I'll use the deluxe roll of TP in the large empty paint can and will use the entire 32 oz bottle of alcohol.

**End of Report**

ETA ~~ Initially, the flame came about 4" over the top of the can, but calmed down as the alcohol burned.

Noahs ARK
12-23-2009, 03:45 PM
Didn't do my experiment with the gallon can today - it was too warm (58) and I didn't think it would give me a true idea of how much warmth it would give off.

Hopefully the temp will drop in the next few days.

I know how you were all waiting for my experiment results, so I didn't want to leave you hanging.:l0 (63):

celebrate life
12-24-2009, 06:32 AM
Noahs ARK, I think it is fabulous that you are experimenting with this before a time of crises happens. We could all learn from your example of becoming familiar with what we have and are counting on before we need them.

I have a couple of observations to share about your experience.

I poured HALF of the 32-oz bottle of 70% alcohol into the small paint can and waited for the TP to absorb as much as it could.

I lit the TP and it burned steadily for 2-1/2 hours.

No odor other than the burning TP, which actually smelled like a burned marshmallow!

Unless you are simply using the last of your alcohol and don't have enough, the alcohol should be above the TP, about to the rim of the small paint can. What you are lighting and burning is the alcohol, not the TP. Kind of like a STERNO type can. All that is is gelled alcohol. The TP need never burn. It is there to act as a wick for the flame, but with the can full of alcohol, only the alcohol actually burns. Once the alcohol burns down some, you put the flame out with the lid of the can and then top off the can with alcohol and relight.

I don't know that I'd count on this to keep me warm in my car, esp in really cold weather.

I have mostly cooked with mine, but can readily feel the heat coming out of it. My friend routinely uses them for winter scout camps in below freezing weather and keeps plenty warm in his tent with it. Generally within about a half hour or so, everyone is down to short sleeves. He only uses the small paint can though, without it being inside the large one.

A side note about cold temperatures is that the alcohol may be harder to light when it is below freezing. Insulating the alcohol and trying to keep it warmer will make it easier to use. There are better fuels for extreme cold conditions.

Noahs ARK
12-24-2009, 02:50 PM
Noahs ARK, I think it is fabulous that you are experimenting with this before a time of crises happens. We could all learn from your example of becoming familiar with what we have and are counting on before we need them.

Unless you are simply using the last of your alcohol and don't have enough, the alcohol should be above the TP, about to the rim of the small paint can. What you are lighting and burning is the alcohol, not the TP. Kind of like a STERNO type can. All that is is gelled alcohol. The TP need never burn. It is there to act as a wick for the flame, but with the can full of alcohol, only the alcohol actually burns. Once the alcohol burns down some, you put the flame out with the lid of the can and then top off the can with alcohol and relight.

Yeah - I kinda didn't want to wait until an emergency. Once I figure out which way works best for me, I'll know exactly how much TP and alcohol to have on hand for an emergency.

I did not know about the alcohol level!! I'll try it next time with more alcohol. I could have easily used the entire 32 oz of alcohol in the small can.

Thanks for the tip!

Noahs ARK
12-24-2009, 03:01 PM
It was nippy this morning, so I decided to experiment with my 1-gallon paint can.

I used the larger roll of TP and 32 ounces of 70% alcohol. Then I saw that the TP absorbed all of it and that I had room in the can for the other 16 ounces of alcohol that I hadn't used for the small can.

I put the can on my fireplace grate and closed the flue.

It burned for 2 hours straight before going to a smoulder. The flames were pretty high, so I doubt I'd use it in my car with having one of those clay pots on top to keep the flames away from the roof of my car. :eek6:

It gave off some serious heat! I could feel the heat 3 ft away from the fireplace.

Please keep in mind that these experiments are being performed in a large family room and not in a small enclosed room, so it's harder to judge how warm it would keep us in a smaller area.

I'm thinking if we ever had to camp out in our small-sized basement or crawlspace for a couple of days, the gallon can would be more than enough to keep us all warm.

(I also have blankets, etc... down there, so we wouldn't be relying only on the paint can for heat. We also will have the heat from 19 animals!)

I'm figuring on 4 cans (1 case) of each the small can and large can. Will have to figure out how much alcohol and TP to go with that.

If the TP isn't supposed to burn, then I'm doing it wrong and will need to experiment more with both cans. :l0 (51):

This has been fun! My husband says "Boy...you're really on a mission with these cans, aren't ya?" Yep! Won't do any good to have paint cans and TP, but run out of alcohol.

ETA ~ if the alcohol covers the TP and is supposed to be all the way to the rim of the can, then please disregard my notes about the size of the TP roll I've been using on these experiments. If it's only used as a wick, then I don't suppose the size matters. Correct me if I'm wrong, but the smaller roll would be better because then you'd have room for more alcohol.

celebrate life
12-24-2009, 03:52 PM
One thing that I like about the alcohol stoves/heater in a cans is that they will light even with a spark if the alcohol is warm enough. I have matches and I have flint and steel type tools also available. Rather than waste a bunch of matches trying to get something lit, I can start the alcohol can with a spark and then using that flame, I can light candles or start a wood fire or anything else. We have even used a stick, put it to the flame and started our propane stove or lantern.