PDA

View Full Version : Info About the Emergency Mylar Blanket/Sleeping Bag

cHeroKee
12-13-2009, 11:03 AM
Info About the Emergency Mylar Blanket/Sleeping Bag (http://pgward.org/ep/archives/93)

Emergency mylar blankets can be a useful tool for keeping warm under the right conditions, but they do have their limitations. Under certain circumstances they may not be as effective as expected and when used under the wrong conditions, the result can be death. Their primary purpose is to keep you warm under limited conditions, not get you warm.

How They Work
It is important to understand that these emergency blankets work by reflecting a portion of your body heat. Therefore, you must have sufficient body heat to begin with for them to be effective. The colder you become before using the blanket, the less effective it will be. They are not as effective in long-term use or when in severe weather. They are completely ineffective in the case of hypothermia. In the case of hypothermia, external sources of heat are required for survival. Again, they will keep you warm under limited conditions, but not get you warm.

Things to Keep In Mind
With this in mind, it is prudent to use the blanket early in an emergency situation before body heat is lost. Most of your body heat is lost through your head, so keep your head covered with a good hat or alternative covering. Also, you can create body heat by exercising before covering yourself with the blanket. You will need to use prudence here, however, as moisture created from sweat and physical exhaustion are contributing factors to hypothermia. Dry clothing is also essential for maintaining body warmth. Do all that you can to keep dry or to change into dry clothes. Keep yourself hydrated. Try out the blanket in various conditions and for various lengths of time before needing one in an emergency.

Other Ideas for Keeping Warm
Be prepared to engage an alternative plan for creating heat and/or insulating. Other things that you may want to include in your 72-hour kit are waterproof matches, a can of Sterno, a change of clothes, a hat, mittens, and hand/body warmers. Keep warm blankets in your car for additional insulation. Should you get stranded in your car, you can use the foam in your seats to insulate your body by stuffing it inside your clothing.

Additional Uses
Besides keeping you warm under the right and limited conditions, your emergency blanket can provide some limited protection from the elements, be useful as a ground cover, as a reflector to signal for help, to collect water or for reflecting the sun away from you or toward something you want heated. Emergency mylar blankets can be a useful tool?just remember that any tool is only useful when used correctly and safely.

Click here (http://www.ldsglo.com/forum/downloads.php?do=file&id=20) for a printable PDF file of these warnings to insert into your 72 Hour Kits.

celebrate life
12-13-2009, 05:28 PM
Great info! I have heard that some emergency service people refer to them as body bags because of the number of bodies they find dead under them. They have their place and we do have some, but we know their limitations and have other means to keep warm.

Have you ever used one of these? They make a terrible noise every time you move. Not sure I could ever sleep under one of these unless I was absolutely still!! It did keep me warm, but I was not outside in the wind.

BackBlast
12-13-2009, 06:16 PM
Info About the Emergency Mylar Blanket/Sleeping Bag (http://pgward.org/ep/archives/93)

Emergency mylar blankets can be a useful tool for keeping warm under the right conditions, but they do have their limitations. Under certain circumstances they may not be as effective as expected and when used under the wrong conditions, the result can be death. Their primary purpose is to keep you warm under limited conditions, not get you warm.

How They Work
It is important to understand that these emergency blankets work by reflecting a portion of your body heat. Therefore, you must have sufficient body heat to begin with for them to be effective. The colder you become before using the blanket, the less effective it will be. They are not as effective in long-term use or when in severe weather. They are completely ineffective in the case of hypothermia. In the case of hypothermia, external sources of heat are required for survival. Again, they will keep you warm under limited conditions, but not get you warm.

Interesting theory, but I do not agree with this.

The "reflective" feature of mylar blankets is largely useless unless you know how to make use of it. It's about the same as wrapping yourself with a garbage bag otherwise. In order for "reflective" insulation to be useful, you must have a gap of air between the blanket and you. 1" or so is more or less optimal. That's not very easy to manage out in the elements, especially in the wind.

As to how cold you are when you apply it... I don't think that's very relevant with respect to how well or how poorly the blanket performs. 2-5 degrees difference in body heat is not going to change the properties of the blanket.

Mylar makes a better complement to a real blanket - on the outside. You don't have a perfect gap, but blankets are not "solid" so you will have lots of little gaps. It would be much more effective employed outside of a real blanket than against your skin.

mgriffith
12-14-2009, 10:17 AM
Myself, I would say these blankets are pretty useless in most situations, but they are better than nothing. And yes, I would agree they would be better used as an outside layer to a wool blanket.

I keep them in my kit mostly so I can use them as a sort of liner for any expedient shelter I could make to help reflect heat from a fire into my shelter.

Mark

waif69
12-14-2009, 10:25 AM
Those bags are great for a ground cover when gutting a deer, it helps to keep the dirt out of cavity and it is washable.