PDA

View Full Version : This is bad. This is very VERY bad

prairiemom
12-26-2009, 02:39 PM
It's not even 2010 yet and I've got a bad case of spring fever. It's those seed catalogs--they're the carrier. I've gotten 6 or 7 seed catalogs in the mail. But planting is a whole FIVE MONTHS AWAY!!! Well, I do have indoor-seed-starting in March, so "only" 3 months. But still...it's going to be a looooooonnnnggg three months.

A couple varieties that I found interesting:
Broccoli Romanesco (actually it's more like a cauliflower)
http://www.cooksgarden.com/resources/cooksgarden/images/products/processed/1300.detail.a.jpg

The catalog says:

As visually striking as a work of art, this Italian heirloom is almost too beautiful to eat ? but it begs to be savored. Each gorgeous head is a sprightly, light green spiral of cone-shaped florets, with a delectably mild flavor and a texture more akin to cauliflower than broccoli. Typically seen only in local farmers markets. Try it simply steamed and drizzled with olive oil. Well-adapted to cool Northern gardens. Heads can grow enormous: up to 4 lbs., and as large as 3 feet by 2 feet. Harvest 75-100 days from transplant.And this pretty dent corn (only good for dried corn/corn meal):
http://www.jungseed.com/products/01767.jpg

An heirloom dent corn with earth tones that include pinks, blues and greens. Large 8 to 10 inch ears on 8 to 12 foot stalks. The corn is pretty but I have a genetic flaw that prevents me from growing corn. But I think I'll try a couple, maybe three plants of the Romanesco. If it produces 4lb heads, that's a good use of space.

What are you doing new/different this year?

Julie
12-26-2009, 03:05 PM
I love how you come with some really interesting plants. I have been looking at the different varieties too - Thanks to you.

mirkwood
12-26-2009, 03:26 PM
A couple varieties that I found interesting:
Broccoli Romanesco (actually it's more like a cauliflower)
http://www.cooksgarden.com/resources/cooksgarden/images/products/processed/1300.detail.a.jpg

That thing looks like an alien seed pod that needs to be shot repeatedly!!! :l0 (47):

signseeker
12-26-2009, 06:23 PM
I've got about 15 catalogs in a pile and they just wink at me every time I go by. The first one was perused last night. Tonight, I'll do another...

Anyone grown myrrh before?

I tried the Indian corn that was popcorn this year... pathetic. I mean, cute for decorating, but when I popped them, they were like 3mm big. Lousy.

I'm going to grow some poppies... I read a thing on survivalblog about that.

Julie
12-26-2009, 07:02 PM
I have not received one catalog yet:( I have been looking on line. What companies do you guys buy your seeds from?
My understanding of Myrrh is that it is like pine gum from the pine trees. I would let the pine trees grow it.

signseeker
12-26-2009, 07:20 PM
I just did a search for "free gardening catalog" or something... only got the free ones.

I got my tomato seeds from tomatobob.com -- online.

Alright, just for you... I'll go get my stack and tell you...

Thompson&Morgan
Veseys Seeds
FEDCO
Vermont Bean Seed Company
Jung Seeds and Plants
Henry Field's Seed and Nursery Co.
R.H. Shumway's Illustrated Garden Guide
Baker Creek Heirloom Seeds
Wild Garden Seed
Bountiful Gardens
HPS Catalog
Johnny's Selected Seeds
Wild Horsefeathers -----oops, that's a horsey one :)
Burpee Gardening
Park Seed

It's so fun! :l0 (58):

signseeker
12-26-2009, 07:38 PM
Just ordered catalogs from Seed Savers Exchange and Seeds of Change. Also Territorial Seed. And Heirloom Acres Seeds. And Abundant Life Seeds.

Okay, I'm quitting now. :001_ssmile:

Noahs ARK
12-26-2009, 11:04 PM
It's good to know that I'm not the only one with Spring Fever already.

I want to have some of my sideyard ripped up for a garden in the Spring. The space isn't huge - only 15 x 200 or so.

Already I have my pad of paper out and I'm trying to decide what to plant.

Blueberries, raspberries, currants, asparagus for sure! Maybe a couple of dwarf apricot trees and a grape arbor? Dunno.

:party:

Highlandsunrise
12-27-2009, 07:50 PM
Spring Fever, yah, I got it about a week ago, it's bad. Too early for us to start with it. I ordered some from Stark and Wilhite online and got the Burpee catalog the other day. Beautiful! I want them all.

I want to plant some asparagus this year. Trouble is I am always changing my tiny mind about where things should be planted and asparagus is pretty permanent. DH wants to grow horseradish but I have heard it is a weed you can't control when it gets started. Anyone grown it?
DH is always on the lookout for a rejected vegetable that he can use for a target. There aren't many because I feed them to the chickens. The fruit stand gave him some rotten cantalopes to shoot once, he loved it.

Do apricots grow in Kentucky? My parents tried to grow them in Dallas and they weren't very successful. They grew wonderful pecans.

Noahs ARK
12-27-2009, 07:57 PM
DH wants to grow horseradish but I have heard it is a weed you can't control when it gets started. Anyone grown it?

Do apricots grow in Kentucky? My parents tried to grow them in Dallas and they weren't very successful. They grew wonderful pecans.

You really should grow horseradish - it's wonderful! Here's my trick....I dig a HUGE hole and put a large flower pot down inside the hole. The flower pot will keep the horseradish from growing out of control.

Apricots grow in Kentucky. You just have to look at the Zone and make sure you buy the hardiest tree for your area.

Highlandsunrise
12-27-2009, 08:05 PM
Does that work because it spreads with runners under the ground? Will it start from seed? DH loves it.

Noahs ARK
12-27-2009, 08:56 PM
Does that work because it spreads with runners under the ground? Will it start from seed? DH loves it.

I don't know why it spreads - I just know that it does. I learned that when I lived in Utah. My sister's father-in-law grew horseradish and he kept it contained so it wouldn't take over the garden.

Oh - he also divided it and gave it away to people who wanted to grow it.

We harvested the horseradish in the Fall, peeled it & ground it up in a VitaMix. Then we froze it in babyfood jars.

WARNING: the fumes are potent!

Hm...I don't know if it'll start from seed. I got my starts from him when I lived in Utah, but when we moved I bought them from a catalog.

signseeker
12-27-2009, 11:32 PM
I have a patch of horseradish at our cabin! It's just in a patch in the yard... doesn't look like it's spreading out of control or anything. ?? There's a lot of it. The previous owners dug up a bunch before they left, but there's still a bunch there. I didn't dig any up this fall, but I probably could next fall... don't know much about it, really. I'd like to add some grated to dips and stuff maybe. Hear it's good for asthma, too. :thumbsup:

mirkwood
12-28-2009, 12:48 AM
Shotgun vs. cantaloupe...heh heh heh.

signseeker
12-28-2009, 09:32 AM
See, that's the wrong attitude. Again.:toetap05:

Buffie
12-28-2009, 06:26 PM
My dad used to start getting catalogs about this time every year. Mom began saving milk cartons, which dad cut down to hold little plants. By late January he'd planted tomato seeds in tiny containers that sat in the window. Every day we looked for the first sprout, and when it appeared we had a family celebration. By February we'd begin to have a few warm afternoons and he'd put them in a wagon and take them outside to the asphalt driveway for some direct sun. At sundown, of course, they had to come in. The warm days grew more frequent and longer, and the plants stayed outside all day. Then it was time to till the garden and transfer our plants outside. It's wonderful to follow the natural progression of the seasons, and the best way to do it is to garden.

Does anybody besides me grow okra?

Highlandsunrise
12-28-2009, 10:48 PM
That is a fun memory, buffy. I love the process, except, when I mess up and let those cute little plants get too dry and they wilt. They do a whole lot better if I don't do that too much. Last year I used bloom booster fertilizer on them and that helped them grow better than they have before.

FixItGuy
12-28-2009, 11:10 PM
mirkwood;Shotgun vs. cantaloupe...heh heh heh.[/quote]

Yes all produce not fit for use must be composted or feed to critters.
But when the boss (Highland)
is not lookin DS and I take them out for blastin'.
I love to leave the blasted produce for the desert critters.

dena
12-28-2009, 11:36 PM

That thing looks like an alien seed pod that needs to be shot repeatedly!!! :l0 (47):

I would definately shoot that thing if I found it growing!
dena

signseeker
12-29-2009, 10:34 AM
It's wonderful to follow the natural progression of the seasons, and the best way to do it is to garden.

Since my first "real" garden last summer (including starting seeds inside the house) I've found myself a lot more in tune with the weather and the seasons and all that stuff. I used to think of "preparing for winter" like some cutesy little old-timey thing... since we have the cabin and rely on the woodstove for heat, it's gotten more serious. And sometimes in the garden with the kids around I'd get the thought, Gosh what if I had to depend on this food? Very interesting thoughts come while you're gardening. I love it all. :worshippy:

signseeker
12-30-2009, 12:13 PM
Got some more... one of them is Totally Tomatoes. Looks good and lots of photos. I think I need to have like 140 tomato plants... is that too much? :frown2:

Noahs ARK
12-30-2009, 03:14 PM
Very interesting thoughts come while you're gardening. I love it all. :worshippy:

I love gardening, too. It's like Science - everything has to be planted in the right type of soil, with the proper amount of sun/shade and water/drainage.

Now that we're reitred, I wish I had at least an extra acre of land for gardening.

Noahs ARK
12-30-2009, 03:15 PM
Got some more... one of them is Totally Tomatoes. Looks good and lots of photos. I think I need to have like 140 tomato plants... is that too much? :frown2:

Go for it! :l0 (5):

signseeker
12-30-2009, 04:12 PM
It's like Science - everything has to be planted in the right type of soil, with the proper amount of sun/shade and water/drainage.

Unless of course you're trying to kill something or you are indifferent... then it grows like gang-busters. :ohmy:

Earthling
12-30-2009, 10:54 PM
I know somebody who plants that many tomato plants and donates the produce to the food bank & shelter. It also takes him over half a day every day to pick them - but he is retired and likes to give service.

So Sign, maybe cut back on the number of tomato plants unless you want to spend your summer picking tomatoes. :shocked:

Highlandsunrise
12-30-2009, 11:30 PM
That broccoli thing looks like something I would love to eat. :l0 (41):
Have always loved the garden but each bit of success we have gets me more hooked.
We had eight Big Beef tomato (big indeterminate plants) last year. That was all we could bottle, dry, eat and give away. The chickens ate a few too. Depends on your strength and your family size. If they always produce that well, we won't plant any more than that.

prairiemom
12-31-2009, 09:14 AM
We had eight Big Beef tomato (big indeterminate plants) last year. That was all we could bottle, dry, eat and give away. The chickens ate a few too. Depends on your strength and your family size. If they always produce that well, we won't plant any more than that.

Yeah, we planted 50 plants in our first really big garden and it was waaaaaayyyy too much. I must have given away 200 lbs. For our family of 5 25-30 plants is more than enough for summer eating and preserving.

signseeker
12-31-2009, 09:50 AM
I think I had about 25 plants last year and didn't have enough to can. I was "experimenting" on types, though. The Brandywines, which I thought would be the best, really stunk. The two "unknowns"... Homestead and Eva Purple Ball (just one plant of each, unfortunately) produced more than ALL the others combined. I'll pick my types better this year, that's for sure. Plus a little more experiementing... :)

Highlandsunrise
12-31-2009, 10:05 PM
We grew Brandywines Summer 2008 and got very few tomatoes before they froze. In 2009, we put black plastic on the Big Beef. The black plastic seemed to warm things up and get them going quicker.

prairiemom
12-31-2009, 10:39 PM
I got my absolute favorite seed catalog today: Baker Creek Heirloom Seeds. [/URL][URL="http://www.ldsglo.com/forum/www.rareseeds.com"]www.rareseeds.com (http://www.ldsglo.com/forum/www.rareseeds.com) All open-pollinated, all heirloom, a lot of very rare types. That brings my total number of catalogs to 12. Here's a tomato variety that I've never heard of before, not even from Totally Tomatoes:
Reisetomate,
The most novel tomato we have seen, this tomato is like a big bunch of cherry tomatoes all fused together: an amazing trait that had everyone here asking questions about the alien-looking, bumpy tomatoes. Also called ?Traveler tomato? (?reise? is German for ?travel? or ?journey?) for the ability to tear it apart a piece at a time, with no need for a knife. This type of tomato traces its roots to Central America where the native people would carry traveler tomatoes on trips, to eat as they walked. Bright red tomatoes taste--well, rather sour, strong and acid. The perfect tomato for those who love raw lemons, but who cares? They are still far-out and groovy.

http://rareseeds.com/cart/images/products/preview/tm198.jpg

That's just one tomato. How does that compare to the green broccoli thing?

signseeker
01-01-2010, 09:45 AM
Okay, my family would take one look at that tomato and one look at me and think, You're in the Master Gardener class and we get THIS?? :mad5: I don't like that big crack in the bottom either... that's what the Brandywines did. By the time you fiddle around cutting all that stuff off... it's just a pain.

Me likey pretty tomatoes. :l0 (29):

Highlandsunrise
01-02-2010, 01:27 AM
That stuff is entertaining to look at. I won't devote garden space to it because I'm intense on repeating what grew well and we ate it in the garden and tweaking what didn't work so well. I get more basic and less adventurous there every year. I would plant something like that in the flower bed for fun. Edible landscape is good. I have the sage in the front flower bed--the purple flowers and leaves are pretty and it smells good and we use it every year.

signseeker
01-03-2010, 11:51 AM
Holy Baker Creek catalog!!! :svengo:

My new favorite. I might try some of those scallop squash thingeys ... Patty Pans ... they look good.

http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:kHMfjohSe6J9DM:http://michiganmicrofarms.com/files/QuickSiteImages/yellow_scallop_squash.jpg (http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://michiganmicrofarms.com/files/QuickSiteImages/yellow_scallop_squash.jpg&imgrefurl=http://michiganmicrofarms.com/Experimental.html&usg=__JtVtnnM7434t0dUo2tvydGzp4N0=&h=382&w=500&sz=24&hl=en&start=18&sig2=vAUSDmW_g2zmYhUOLaU_Zg&um=1&tbnid=kHMfjohSe6J9DM:&tbnh=99&tbnw=130&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dscallop%2Bsquash%26hl%3Den%26rlz%3D1R 2GPEA_en%26sa%3DN%26um%3D1&ei=4dhAS-_1ApXCswOPr8jlCQ)

Noahs ARK
01-03-2010, 05:16 PM

My new favorite. I might try some of those scallop squash thingeys ... Patty Pans ... they look good.

I love those on the grill!!

Hey - look in your catalog....do they have lemon cucumbers? If so, buy some! They look like a lemon. The skin is thinner, so you don't need to peel them.

Julie
01-03-2010, 06:33 PM
I have noticed that there are tomatoes that are for storage. Have any of you tired these kind of tomatoes. One kind said that it would store for up to 12 weeks and that it freezes well too. I've never thought of freezing them.

Noahs ARK
01-03-2010, 07:27 PM
I have noticed that there are tomatoes that are for storage. Have any of you tired these kind of tomatoes. One kind said that it would store for up to 12 weeks and that it freezes well too. I've never thought of freezing them.

I've been freezing tomatoes for years. If I have extra freezer space, I freeze them whole and then just throw them in my Vita-Mix for a nice puree or make tomato juice.

I've never stored a tomato for up to 12 weeks, tho. I think the longest I've stored them was until Christmas and that's under ideal conditions.

signseeker
01-03-2010, 09:48 PM
You peel them before freezing them? You could probably make salsa out of them, too...

Noahs ARK
01-03-2010, 09:58 PM
You peel them before freezing them? You could probably make salsa out of them, too...

No - I don't peel the whole ones. The Vita-Mix chews up the skins, so it's not necessary. If I'm making chili or something else, the skin just slips off and I pick it out. Easy Peasy!

prairiemom
01-05-2010, 03:31 PM

http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:kHMfjohSe6J9DM:http://michiganmicrofarms.com/files/QuickSiteImages/yellow_scallop_squash.jpg (http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://michiganmicrofarms.com/files/QuickSiteImages/yellow_scallop_squash.jpg&imgrefurl=http://michiganmicrofarms.com/Experimental.html&usg=__JtVtnnM7434t0dUo2tvydGzp4N0=&h=382&w=500&sz=24&hl=en&start=18&sig2=vAUSDmW_g2zmYhUOLaU_Zg&um=1&tbnid=kHMfjohSe6J9DM:&tbnh=99&tbnw=130&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dscallop%2Bsquash%26hl%3Den%26rlz%3D1R 2GPEA_en%26sa%3DN%26um%3D1&ei=4dhAS-_1ApXCswOPr8jlCQ)

It is a FUN catalog, isn't it? I LOVE their philosophy. They have absolutely NOTHING to do with Monsanto (evil and designing men) and they have lots of seminars and educational material. I love them.

My catalog count is now at 18 and that's not counting the duplicates. I found Jerusalem Artichoke in only one catalog--Jung Seeds, which isn't my favorite, but they'll get a small order from me this year.

signseeker
01-05-2010, 03:40 PM
Yeah, and the guy is only what, 29 years old now? Started selling seeds out of his bedroom when he was 17 and now he sends out a quarter million catalogs? I like their philosophy, too. When I see stuff like that it seems that everybody is catching on to gardening and saving seeds and we'll be just fine... then I go out in public again and I think, We're screwed.

With today's Terroir Seeds catalog, I'm up to 19 catalogs. Neener.

prairiemom
01-05-2010, 05:29 PM
Two more today, so I now have 20. :l0 (48): :devil:

OK, let's compare and see what we have in common:
Baker Creek--YEAH!
Gurney's--meh They do have a $25 off coupon though, so we'll see...
Henry Fields--naw
Territorial Seed--my 2nd favorite
Jung--they're the only one's with Jerusalem Artichoke, so I'll at least be ordering that.
Stark Brothers--they don't have much that will grow in my zone.
Farmer Seed--on par with Henry Fields and Gurney's
Van Borgondian--mostly bulbs, I always pine for more flowers
Abundant Life--Yeah, GREAT catalog--as good as Territorial Seed
Burgess--bleh
Select Seeds--I think they are an offshoot of Michigan Bulb, pretty mediocre quality
Netherland Bulb Co.--if I buy any bulbs this year it will likely be from them
Gardens Alive--no plants, just great organic fertilizers and pest control. I get my apple maggot traps and lures from them
The Cook's Garden--another favorite
Burpee--too expensive. I can usually get the same things from other sources for lots less
Totally Tomatoes--LOVE this one, esp because it has pictures of every single tomato and pepper they sell.
Vermont Seed Company--a favorite as well
RH Shumway--limited selection but have some great old fashioned varieties.
Pinetree Garden Seeds--a great source of heirlooms and OP
HPS--I've never seen this one before. We'll see...

phylm
01-05-2010, 07:04 PM
PM--I think I'll just be ordering from Shumway and Pinetree this year. Haven't tried Pinetree, but am impressed with their prices and all the heirloom seeds, too. I got quite a few heirloom from Shumway last year and were pleased with them.

signseeker
01-05-2010, 10:11 PM
Holy cow - I can't give you a review of them all! I haven't even looked at them all yet. :svengo:

I'm still waiting on one more... Bouncing Bear or something. For the poppies.

Earthling
01-11-2010, 05:17 PM
more weird veggies:

http://davesgarden.com/guides/articles/view/2775/

Noahs ARK
01-11-2010, 05:20 PM
Yum - those lemon cukes are delicious! The skins are thin, so they don't need to be peeled.

signseeker
01-12-2010, 08:13 AM
more weird veggies:

My family is not into "weird" yet. I guess I should focus on doing the plain stuff well first...

prairiemom
01-12-2010, 11:44 AM
I like the colors--purple, yellow, white carrots, rainbow colored Swiss chard, purple beans, etc. I've been tempted by the lemon cukes for a couple yrs now and I think I'll get them now because of your recommendation.

Noahs ARK
01-12-2010, 04:05 PM
I've been tempted by the lemon cukes for a couple yrs now and I think I'll get them now because of your recommendation.

The lemon cukes don't handle full sun as well as regular cukes - probably cuz their skin is so light. I used to plant them in with my tomatoes. They climbed the cages and got a little bit of shade.

prairiemom
01-22-2010, 11:46 AM
I now have 29 catalogs. Too much! Sensory overload!:willy_nilly:

I've assigned 4 to each child and told them to circle their favorites. Hopefully that will help me narrow down my choices.

signseeker
01-22-2010, 03:04 PM
I gave some away at Master Gardeners class this week. (We take turns bringing "door prizes" and you get your name drawn. I got a lucky bamboo last week.)

I think I'm only going to buy from Seed Savers and Baker Creek this year. But I can't find spaghetti squash in either of those. :glare:

Julie
01-22-2010, 10:37 PM
Well, I'm getting ready to order my seeds. I need to start them soon. I'm ordering from Burpee this year. They have the best price. I'm doing both Hybrid and Heirlooms. I have to deal with the heat so I'm experimenting on which kind does best here.
For tomatoes I'm trying:
Red October - Keeps for 16 weeks
Fourth of July - only takes 49 days - should be ready for Memorial Day
Bush Early Girl
Mortgage Lifter - In-laws favorite
Black Krim
Rutgers
Big Mama - the hugest paste tomato I have ever seen.
Bush Big Boy
Brandy Boy - hybrid of Brandywine - earlier and better tasting (they claim)
Porterhouse - 2 to 4 lb tomatoes
Amish paste
Cucumbers:
Sweet Burpless - highly recommended by users
Picklebush - doesn't take up a lot of space and produces like crazy
I really only buy seeds every four years. I have had no problem with germination with my seeds either. If a hybrid does well, then I will just store the seeds for that kind. My goal is to have a heavy producing garden. If a hybrid does better then that is what I'm going with.

signseeker
01-22-2010, 10:52 PM
So you've started hybrid seeds that you've kept and you've got the same thing? What have you saved that's hybrid?

Julie
01-22-2010, 10:58 PM
So you've started hybrid seeds that you've kept and you've got the same thing? What have you saved that's hybrid?

I store the seed packages. Most of the packages have 30-50 seeds in them and that is plenty to last over four years.