PDA

View Full Version : Cheap way to start your asparagus patch

phylm
12-28-2009, 07:39 PM
:d0 (7):

We started our asparagus patch here in 2007 by planting a pack of asparagus seed in a five foot row in our vegetable garden, strewing them fairly thickly. We let the seedlings overwinter (we had done that in Vermont, too), and let them come back up in the spring.

In the area for the asparagus patch, we dug trenches for each row 12 inches deep and 12 inches wide. We then dug up the bottom of each trench and mixed in compost and manure. We then set out the seedlings about 15 inches apart in each trench. As the seedlings grow, we pull in dirt from that dug out of the trenches, eventually achieving a level bed.

In this way, you can cultivate right over the plants in the fall. My mother-in-law used to also cultivate in the very early spring, and then strew a thick coat of salt over the rows. No weed. Asparagus is a seaside plant, so it doesn't object.

We are looking forward to a bumper crop next spring from our healthy-looking bed.

Noahs ARK
12-28-2009, 08:20 PM
That's how I've grown asparagus and am looking forward to planting more in the spring.

But I've never heard about the salt - what's that for?

phylm
12-29-2009, 10:29 PM
That's how I've grown asparagus and am looking forward to planting more in the spring.

But I've never heard about the salt - what's that for?
Easy weed control.

Noahs ARK
12-29-2009, 10:53 PM
Easy weed control.

Ahhhhhh - got it! I saw in your post you said the asparagus doesn't object to the salt, but I wanted to make sure.

Highlandsunrise
12-30-2009, 10:57 PM
:DThank you! I have never grown asparagus. Cultivate? Do you mean with the roto-tiller? Hadn't thought about the weed problem but it would be bad. I jerked up my old sage plant last year and started over somewhere else because it was grown in so solid with pasture grass I could hardly find it.
Wow, that is some brilliant strategy. What kind of salt have you used? Asparagus grows here (UT County, UT) on irrigation ditches sometimes but didn't know it was tolerant to salt. Have read that steer manure is salty so not good to use but would it be okay for asparagus?

phylm
12-31-2009, 07:21 PM
Highland--Actually, just cultivating and heavy mulching will take of the weeds. We haven't used salt (50 pound bags of ground rock salt) here, and if you cultivate in the fall and again before the asparagus appears in the spring, it will pretty well take of the problem. Steer manure would be fine.

We are lucky here...we have found a source of free cow manure from a huge dairy farm, and free horse manure that is made of mostly shavings and sawdust, which we use liberally for mulch. (Going after that stuff makes up our big winter outings on Saturdays!) Incidentally, we pay $10 for each large load of cow manure, because they'll load it for that. Takes about 90 seconds to get loaded, and takes my husband 90 minutes to unload it!

Highlandsunrise
12-31-2009, 09:33 PM
Can't wait to get started!:hurray:

Noahs ARK
12-31-2009, 09:38 PM
Can't wait to get started!:hurray:

How much asparagus will you be planting? I'm still trying to decide.

Highlandsunrise
12-31-2009, 09:57 PM
I am thinking about a 4-6 foot row. Can't picture how much that will produce. May ask DH to build me a garden box for it. Sounds easier than digging that trench in unworked soil and I don't want to give up garden space.

prairiemom
01-01-2010, 01:03 PM
We love asparagus so we have 2-40' rows and a 20 ft row. (Dh has promised me he will extend the 3rd row to 40'.) I've heard plant 10 plants for each family member, so that's about 20-25 ft per family member. Last summer was our 3rd yr, so we really probably be at the peak this year or next. Last year we had plenty to eat, but definitely could have had much more.

phylm
01-01-2010, 04:03 PM
We love asparagus so we have 2-40' rows and a 20 ft row. (Dh has promised me he will extend the 3rd row to 40'.) I've heard plant 10 plants for each family member, so that's about 20-25 ft per family member. Last summer was our 3rd yr, so we really probably be at the peak this year or next. Last year we had plenty to eat, but definitely could have had much more.
Yep, our patch is about 20 X 40 feet now. Not going to have much lawn left to mow if my husband keeps digging up sod and planting.

Highlandsunrise
01-02-2010, 12:59 AM
Still trying to figure out where to put it.