PDA

View Full Version : Grafting fruit trees

signseeker
01-06-2010, 11:18 AM
There is an excellent article in the current Backwoods Home Magazine (Jan/Feb 2010) on grafting fruit trees. This was always in the "I could never do THAT" category for me... now I'm wondering about it.

Anyone ever try that before? I wonder if I could put the yummy Mirabelle/Potawatomie/mystery plums onto the yucky Greengage tree? Hmm....

http://www.backwoodshome.com/articles2/clay121.html

Earthling
01-06-2010, 02:45 PM
We have done some grafting and now have a 6 variety apple tree. I want to buy a 4 in 1 pear this spring -wish I had bought it last year when I saw it at Costco. My dad had a plum with 4 varieties that were wonderful.

Find someone who knows how or call the extension service to take a class. We did both.

signseeker
01-06-2010, 05:52 PM
Dude. I'm in Master Gardeners. I'm covered.

Earthling
01-06-2010, 11:39 PM
Dude. I'm in Master Gardeners. I'm covered.

Sis tahs! :thumbsup: I've been a master gardener for over ten years. I still have lots to learn but the classes were very helpful. After the classes I joined the master gardener group and we do things all year long such as classes, yard tours, parties, etc.

signseeker
01-07-2010, 01:11 PM
I know!!! I just love the classes! I get so overwhelmed and excited at the same time.:l0 (58):

Last night we talked about growing veggies and extending the season... wow, so much with rowcovers, hoops, wall o' waters, mulching...

Did you know?
1. Black mulch only heats the soil about 2 or 3 degrees? It gets quite warm itself but does not transfer the heat to the soil very well. Clear plastic is more like 10 degrees - that's 3-4 weeks early! Red plastic is a total waste unless you live somewhere with little sunlight. (Not Utah.)
2. In Paris in 1910 there were about 2,000,000 bell jars used in home gardens for protecting young plants.