PDA

View Full Version : Sewing by hand

Abinadi
03-25-2008, 04:16 PM
I am in the process of mending and putting in new elastic into my clothes. Who else is into hand sewing?
Where did you learn the skill?
I am learning as I go with it and I really like it alot. I have a basket with what I need by where I sit and read so it is always handy. Right now I am working on a waist band.
With these skill down good one could be really useful when a need for clothing without power is needed.

Abinadi

Dolcezza
03-26-2008, 08:13 AM
I took sewing classes when I was 18 and it was really helpful, plus did lots of experiments!

prairiemom
03-26-2008, 09:40 AM
Years ago I was bedridden for 6 wks and I sewed a pioneer dress completely by hand. It was a TON of work! I knew then that if I'd lived in real pioneer times, I'd be in BIG trouble.

That's one reason I insisted dh buy me a treadle sewing machine. It's an old Singer that will run with either electric or foot treadle.

Abinadi
03-26-2008, 02:11 PM
Have you got some tricks to sew elastic into a waist band. I have been sewing the waist band in...the big trick is getting the elastic sewn into the fabric so it stretches with the fabric and doesn't slide around. I have two more waist bands to replace the elastic in and some are stitched 3 threads deep to rip out and redo by hand.
How long did it take you to make a prairie dress??? What did you learn as you were sewing it by hand?

Abinadi

prairiemom
03-26-2008, 10:07 PM
I'm trying to picture what you are trying to accomplish and it's just not coming to me. For me the easiest thing would be to sew a casing and thread the elastic through. If you are trying to attach the elastic directly to the fabric, I would pin it (just like you do when machine sewing, marking the 4 quarters) and do a basting stitch, then come back and do a button hole stitch--maybe? I'm not sure since I'm not sure the effect you are working for.

My pioneer dress had no elastic--very "authentic" pattern--tied in the back instead of buttons or zippers. I don't remember how long it took--those 6 wks of being in bed lasted an eternity.

Probably the most important thing I learned was to take small stitches and use a thimble. :wink (3):

Dolcezza
03-27-2008, 01:08 PM
an overlocker would be ideal to do the above job. otherwise I would do exactly as the post says over here!