PDA

View Full Version : Buying Bug-Out Property

mgriffith
03-17-2010, 07:08 AM
The wife and I are actively looking for some property, which we intend to use as:

1. A bug-out site
2. A family camping/hunting site
3. A possible retirement home site

I would like to hear any opinions you may have on this.

We have several conditions the location would have to meet. I have listed them in the order of their importance to us (most important first):

1. Available water...a spring or stream on the property would be great. A river or lake close by would be acceptable, depending upon how far away.

2. Remoteness. We are currently looking at land on the market, and using Google Maps to get an aerial view to see what other buildings are around the site. If it looks remote enough, we'll drive there to have a look. Having a cell phone signal would be nice too!

3. Closeness. It can't be too far away. If it were to be used as a weekend get-a-way, two hours or so would probably be the farthest we would like to drive. In an emergency bug-out type scenario, the closer the better. If we put a retirement home there, we don't want to be too far from the grandchildren.

4. Size. At least 5 acres, up to about 25 acres. 5 acres would be acceptable if it was surrounded by un-used or national forest land. 25 acres will allow us to disappear in there and no one will see you. For you people out west, this may seem tiny, but remember here in Missouri, all of the land we are looking at is heavily wooded. During the Winter when the leaves are off the trees, you can't see more than 50-75 yards into the woods. In the summer, more than a few feet.

5. Accessibility. I don't want to have to buy a FWD truck just to get there.

6. Building codes. We found a nice piece of property close by, but there are restrictions on what and when you can build. We are thinking if it's a bug out site or weekend get-a-way, of just putting a large shed on the property. Later on we may decide to build a retirement home, but we want to be able to just have the shed for some time. Lowes has some nice buildings that would be great....one large barn with a loft of about 570 sq. feet for about $5800 built on site. I could probably build one myself for less as I have all the skills and tools.

7. Electricity. Having available power would be great, but not a requirement unless we want to turn it into a retirement home. Even then, I could get by with solar power if we wanted to be off-grid.

8. Price. Land around here goes for roughly $2000.00 an acre, depending upon location, electric, etc. We have a budget of about $25,000.00. Some 5 acre sites are nearly that much, and some 25 acres sites in the middle of nothing can be had for that price.

To be used as a bug-out site, remoteness is key as well as who is living around there. We went to a site last week and the homes we drove past to get there looked like we needed to have shotguns hanging out the windows to discourage them. That one is off our list. Besides, I nearly got stuck in there because my little truck couldn't make it up the hill to get out. On the third try with it floored in first gear, I made it. Whew!

So far, the leading candidate is a 7 acre site with electric, good cell signal, remote (state conservation land within a couple miles, and absolutely nothing for many miles to the southern quadrant. But it does have some neighbors within a couple miles, and building codes, and no water on the site (a lake within one mile).

Your comments are appreciated.

Mark

LEVE
03-17-2010, 07:13 AM
5. Accessibility. I don't want to have to buy a FWD truck just to get there.However... on the flip side, it's not a bad idea to have one. You never know what the roads will be like when you need to leave. I keep my 4WD rig gassed up and ready to go in emergencies and have about a 600 mile range. Also, if you do need a 4WD rig to get to your property, that sure leaves a whole lot of those out who don't.

I've often thought about a BOS and it's criteria. I wanted a year round stream, or spring. Then I'd be building an underground home, cheap to heat, cheap to cool and if done right, easy to hide.

mgriffith
03-17-2010, 07:23 AM
However... on the flip side, it's not a bad idea to have one. You never know what the roads will be like when you need to leave. I keep my 4WD rig gassed up and ready to go in emergencies and have about a 600 mile range. Also, if you do need a 4WD rig to get to your property, that sure leaves a whole lot of those out who don't.

True. I could get one, but my current little truck has 343,000 miles on it and still running good and I hate to get rid of it. I'll have to think some more on this.

Thanks,
Mark

thermocouple
03-17-2010, 07:23 AM
I agree with LEVE on the accessibilitly. If it's super easy for you to drive in and out of, it will be for everyone else. Regarding the leading candidate in your current search, I would think the unavailability of water would be a deal breaker. Could you dig a well?

signseeker
03-17-2010, 07:27 AM
This is fantastic. I totally encourage you! Plus this is just way fun. I love researching properties.

DH and I found our place last summer.
1. Water- 1/4 mile of river and an acre pond with stream flowing to river
2. Remote- pretty remote in the sense that no one (not even the locals) really know it's there. Yes to cell phone signal.
3. Proximity- 2 and 1/2 hour drive there if we don't stop on the way for anything.
4. Size- A bit bigger.
5. Access- Don't need 4WD... rare, considering all the other props in the area we looked at.
6. Building codes- remote enough we could probably do whatever we wanted.
7. Electricity- Yes. If we go off-grid, it'll probably be hydro.
8. Price- was right.
Also already has a cabin.

Water was a deal-breaker for us. We wouldn't even look unless it had natural water. A spring, something. We weren't originally looking for a cabin, it just worked out that way.

Have you looked at United Country for properties? www.unitedcountry.com (http://www.unitedcountry.com)
Sometimes it's fun to just drive around. I don't think my dad bought hardly any properties that were actually on the market... he'd find out the owner and approach them and go that route.

Good luck! :thumbsup:

mgriffith
03-17-2010, 09:27 AM
I agree with LEVE on the accessibilitly. If it's super easy for you to drive in and out of, it will be for everyone else. Regarding the leading candidate in your current search, I would think the unavailability of water would be a deal breaker. Could you dig a well?

Yeah, a well would be easy to do, it's just an extra cost. I could even power it with solar. This is not the perfect candidate, just the top of the list so far. We will probably be looking all through the summer, unless we find the perfect spot.

Mark

mgriffith
03-17-2010, 09:34 AM
Have you looked at United Country for properties? www.unitedcountry.com (http://www.unitedcountry.com)

Yes! This seems to be a good site with lots of properties listed. The problem is most of them are a couple hours away, so we'll have to do trips in Saturday and try and consolidate them so we can see a few places in one trip. We'll looking at doing another trip this Friday afternoon.

Yeah, water is a concern and I'd like to have a nice spring or small creek flowing on the property. However, here in Missouri, we get enough rain that a catchment system would probably suffice along with the Big Berkey water filter we have.

Thanks for the encouragement.

Mark

texasgal
03-17-2010, 10:06 AM
Check out Sewanee Creek in Tennessee. Grant Miller is a member of the church and has bought all this pretty land to make a community of like minded people. Here is his website: https://members.lastinglinks.com/members/memberPanel.php
At least I hope it gets you there. His email address is [email protected]
I would love to go there, but my husband will NOT move out of Texas. :(
Let me know what you think. They are a community of "off the grid" self sufficient people.

signseeker
03-17-2010, 10:19 AM
More money, but this looks amazing!
http://www.unitedcountry.com/search06/SearchViewProperty.asp?SID=80817162&Item=718657&Lcnt=&Page=1&Office=24055&No=24055-04890&AU=N&FT=P

This one's 5 acres, but has a stream and cheap:
http://www.unitedcountry.com/search06/SearchViewProperty.asp?SID=80817162&Item=732917&Lcnt=&Page=1&Office=24203&No=24203-27995&AU=N&FT=P

Noahs ARK
03-17-2010, 01:08 PM
Yeah, water is a concern and I'd like to have a nice spring or small creek flowing on the property. However, here in Missouri, we get enough rain that a catchment system would probably suffice along with the Big Berkey water filter we have.

A spring or small creek would be nice, but I'd rather have a well. We live on the river and I can tell you that there is NO WAY I'd want to drink that water, even tho it looks clean. It would be fine for washing or laundry, but drinking? No way!

I suspect if TSHTF people will be bathing in that river - not to mention using it as a potty area. No thanks. :skep:

Your plan sounds excellent and I agree with the others about the 4WD - if you need one to get to your property, it means others will need one, too The harder to access, the better.

Good luck!!

Noahs ARK
03-17-2010, 06:16 PM
[quote=signseeker;55863]More money, but this looks amazing!
http://www.unitedcountry.com/search06/SearchViewProperty.asp?SID=80817162&Item=718657&Lcnt=&Page=1&Office=24055&No=24055-04890&AU=N&FT=P]

I want this one!!

mgriffith
03-18-2010, 08:40 AM
More money, but this looks amazing!
http://www.unitedcountry.com/search06/SearchViewProperty.asp?SID=80817162&Item=718657&Lcnt=&Page=1&Office=24055&No=24055-04890&AU=N&FT=P

This one's 5 acres, but has a stream and cheap:
http://www.unitedcountry.com/search06/SearchViewProperty.asp?SID=80817162&Item=732917&Lcnt=&Page=1&Office=24203&No=24203-27995&AU=N&FT=P

Thanks for looking for us! The 60 acres is too much, but that land is typical of the Ozarks. We live on the northern edge, and the land around here looks the same. The 5 acre site is in Fredericktown, which has too many other people in the area, too much farming, and not enough seclusion.

Some of the land around Lake-of-the-Ozarks and Truman Lake looks great, but when you go into that area, you are getting close to Whitman AFB, where the B2 bombers are stationed. I don't want to get within 50 miles of a primary nuclear target, so that area is out.

One of the primary conditions is seclusion. It would be nice to find a place where we can build a cabin on top of a mountain in the middle of nowhere, but those places are all taken by the rich folks. The best we can come up with is a place called Saffron Mountain. You can Google it, Saffron Mountain, Eminence, MO. It's surrounded by state conservation land or national forest, and we are looking at a parcel that is at the top of the mountain. (Westerners please don't scoff....1000 feet is a mountain in the Ozarks..I have been to the West and know the difference). The problem with this area is it takes us 3 hours to drive there on good roads, but it will never get developed like the rest of the state can.

We know we won't get the perfect site, but seclusion is primary for a bug-out site. Even though we won't be able to get complete seclusion, we want the site as close to national forest or conservation land as possible, so in case we have to leave the bug out site, we can melt into the deep woods where no one goes.

Also, we want to be able to put some equipment caches on the site. It doesn't take much....a rented gas post hole digger, some 6" PVC pipe, and knowing the locations since there will be a foot or more of dirt over them.

We are still searching.....

Mark