PDA

View Full Version : Not TEOTWAWKI, but system down

Buffie
03-27-2010, 12:52 PM
I went to the bank this morning to cash a check and found quite a mess. It seems the bank has installed a new computer system and it did what these systems seem made to do--it crashed, putting a serious damper on the bank's activities all over Tennessee. They were only cashing checks up to two hundred dollars. This didn't cause me a big problem, but it sure made me realize we need to have cash in the house. This wasn't an EMP attack or malicious hackers, but the frailty of a society dependent (too dependent, in my opinion) on computers. Anyway, lesson learned. Thanks, bank.

Noahs ARK
03-27-2010, 01:12 PM
I went to the bank this morning to cash a check and found quite a mess. It seems the bank has installed a new computer system and it did what these systems seem made to do--it crashed, putting a serious damper on the bank's activities all over Tennessee.

Thanks for the warning - I was going to hit the bank today. Now I won't bother.

I bought a fireproof safe last year and try to keep X-amount up there for emergencies. Then I try to forget it's up there or I'm tempted to spend it. :bonk:

signseeker
03-27-2010, 04:27 PM
We're told not to say "the computers are down" if that happens cuz then everyone freaks out. We do stuff by hand or on a backup system. And yeah, there's a cash limit.

Babbi-Dan
03-28-2010, 06:08 PM
We have encountered this at Wal-Mart. No one knows what to do, so everyone (customers) just go home. We went the other night and the road crews had cut the phone lines. No debit/credit card sales. Cash or check only.