PDA

View Full Version : I think it is finally SPRING!

phylm
04-08-2010, 05:06 PM
Just learned that this winter we had the 2nd coldest consecutive three months here in recorded history, but we've had several 80-ish days this week.

The two Anna apple trees are nearly finished blooming, the plum tree, one peach tree and the sweet cherry bush are in bloom, and the nectarine is showing signs of budding. The sand cherry bushes and Granny Smith apple sit there waiting to be convinced that spring has really arrived. but the blueberries are loaded with green berries. Need to get the mesh over them soon. Our old grape vines, as well as the new ones we set out last year are finally putting out leaves, as are the numerous berry bushes. The strawberries are ripening, and the potatoes and peas are flowering.

My husband has found an oldtimer at a big fertilizer store who enjoys parting with his expertise, so we haven't met with any disasters yet this year with blight, fungus or pests. It has been a humbling experience to be reduced to freshmen in Florida gardening, after so many years of successful gardening in Vermont!

mgriffith
04-09-2010, 08:07 AM
Judging by my peach trees, Spring is here, and it may be a good year.....at least for peaches!

mgriffith
04-09-2010, 09:40 AM
And the apples seem to be happy. Perhaps a good year also.

signseeker
04-09-2010, 03:59 PM
Just bought another semi-dwarf baby peach tree. That makes three. Love peaches!!

mgriffith
04-09-2010, 08:15 PM
Just bought another semi-dwarf baby peach tree. That makes three. Love peaches!!

The hardest part about peach here is just before they get ripe, some animal comes in and eats them all. I figure it's a raccoon, so I'm gonna set some traps for him in the fall.

It may be squirrels, but they go into their nests at night, and one or two nights is all it takes and they are all gone.

/\/\ark

signseeker
04-09-2010, 10:44 PM
You could borrow a nice dog during the critical time...

arbilad
04-09-2010, 11:32 PM
Today I started some seeds inside. I may live in an apartment, but you can do a lot with a balcony and several buckets!

phylm
04-10-2010, 09:25 AM
High five, Arbi!!!

prairiemom
04-10-2010, 09:46 AM
Yes, spring is here, but our trees haven't even leafed out yet. What I wouldn't give for peach trees!

mgriffith
04-10-2010, 09:51 AM
You could borrow a nice dog during the critical time...

I have 5 dogs, but they prefer to sleep with us at night, and the wife won't let me put them outside all night long.

Besides, our little Jack Russell already tangled with a raccoon and I don't think he wants to do that again. ;)

These are live capture traps.

/\/\ark

Noahs ARK
04-10-2010, 07:49 PM
Yes, spring is here, but our trees haven't even leafed out yet. What I wouldn't give for peach trees!

We have 3 peach trees. They're dwarfs, but I got 2 dozen peaches last year and they're only 4 years old. Can't wait to see what we get this year!!

Why can't you have peach trees?

signseeker
04-10-2010, 08:17 PM
Arbi-- Did you move?

signseeker
04-10-2010, 08:20 PM
Griff-- Do they climb up the trunk? Could you rig some blockade or something? Seems like some clever person on here could out-fox a squirrel.

arbilad
04-10-2010, 11:53 PM
Arbi-- Did you move?

The move was sort of necessitated by the divorce. It's a long story.

signseeker
04-11-2010, 09:16 AM
Understandable. Carry on, good man! :thumbsup:

Buffie
04-11-2010, 05:02 PM
I have an apple tree that is bent over like an old man. It has lovely blooms that smell great, but the hard green apples it produces are eaten by bunnies, squirrels, and my dogs. The peach tree bloomed beautifully; we'll have a few peaches covered with a weird slime that looks as if it came from a bad sci-fi movie.

However, the herb patch is growing parsley and oregano, and my plantain is in fine shape. Now I just need to till a real garden.

Personally, I don't think a human can outsmart a squirrel.

Highlandsunrise
04-11-2010, 07:01 PM
After years of no peaches, my brother just shoots the squirrels at his house. Don't know if they are protected where he is. We have a plentiful population of racoons. They cause their share of trouble. We're trying to catch one now. I keep putting new bait in the trap (ham, bacon grease, peanut butter, chicken feed). No luck yet.

phylm
04-12-2010, 06:24 PM
After years of no peaches, my brother just shoots the squirrels at his house. Don't know if they are protected where he is. We have a plentiful population of racoons. They cause their share of trouble. We're trying to catch one now. I keep putting new bait in the trap (ham, bacon grease, peanut butter, chicken feed). No luck yet.

Maybe a piece of raw fish? They get a lot of their food out of brooks.