PDA

View Full Version : Eat tree bark

JayE
06-24-2010, 06:24 PM
http://www.mentalfloss.com/blogs/archives/32539

Noahs ARK
06-24-2010, 08:49 PM
I'm definitely forwarding this link to my sister - the one that said she couldn't possibly eat dehydrated food and I said "fine, eat tree bark."

She'll probably think I'm serious. Hope she doesn't start cutting down her trees. ;)

phylm
06-24-2010, 09:22 PM
The first white explorers in what is now New York state were dumfounded to find areas where acres and acres of trees had been stripped of bark and were dead. The inner bark was dried and then pounded into flour. It was a mainstay for the Adirondack Indians, who, as the article stated, were scorned by their macho, hunting, warring neighbors.

Maple and yellow birch trees would probably yield a palatable flour, but I sure would skip the pine or other conifers! Incidentally, the inner bark of oak is high in tannin, and a tea made of it helps with dysentery. Doctors in Japanese prisoner-of-war camps saved many of our servicemen with it.

HopefortheBest
07-27-2010, 11:32 AM
Slice it into strips and boil it to make a rustic pasta. Top with sap, dandelion greens, or insect parts (see entry #2). Alternatively, you can add the noodles to a stew.

Insect parts??? Now, that's something interesting? LOL.

First off, I've never actually heard of anyone preparing and eating tree bark. I always thought of it as a joke, but no! It turns out you guys are serious! What an adventure for the palate! Ha ha ha ha!

I could probably do the tree bark and make it into a pasta as suggested, but the insect parts are another story. Granted, if I were desperate, it would make a good option, but I'll stick to the tree bark in times of non-desperation and penny pinching. :l0 (44):

JayE
07-27-2010, 12:02 PM
Insect parts??? Now, that's something interesting? LOL.

First off, I've never actually heard of anyone preparing and eating tree bark. I always thought of it as a joke, but no! It turns out you guys are serious! What an adventure for the palate! Ha ha ha ha!

I could probably do the tree bark and make it into a pasta as suggested, but the insect parts are another story. Granted, if I were desperate, it would make a good option, but I'll stick to the tree bark in times of non-desperation and penny pinching. :l0 (44):

Actually, I did post it as a joke, but if some people want to take it seriously, good for them.

thermocouple
07-27-2010, 02:32 PM
According to this guy its very edible and actually quite tasty if harvested and prepared appropriately.

http://www.survivaltopics.com/survival/edible-pine-bark/

LEVE
07-28-2010, 09:06 AM
I've never actually heard of anyone preparing and eating tree barkHumm... I guess no one ever heard of Slippery Elm Tea? Even Aspirin was made from the bark and leaves of the willow tree.

ghostcat
07-29-2010, 01:24 AM
I've eaten pine bark on several occasions, its flavor is similar to that of pinyon pine nuts. When I speak of eating pine bark, I am not referring to the hard brown outer bark but rather the white soft inner bark. The hard brown outer bark is not digestible and therefore should not be eaten.