PDA

View Full Version : Storing gas

prairiemom
06-30-2010, 11:52 AM
DH was finally able to realize his dream of getting a good supply of gas stored. We have a 120 gal tank and several 5 gal cans filled with gas. But it's very cumbersome, takes forever to refill the tank (gas distributors won't deliver less than 200 gal, so he would fill 4 (or more) 5 gal containers and then dump it into the tank.) and the gas had to be pumped out manually.

Anyway, a month or so ago, dh found a 300 gal tank at a farm auction, got it and the stand for $30. He spent 3 wks cleaning, priming and painting with rust-proof enamel paint (we've had frequent rain, so that's why it took so long.) Yesterday was the big day--300 gallons delivered. And gas prices are at their lowest in a long time, so that was cool. A hefty draw on our checkbook but in the long run will save us a lot.

celebrate life
06-30-2010, 11:57 AM
Nice!

Noahs ARK
06-30-2010, 03:30 PM
Very exciting - especially the price he paid for the tank! WooHoooooo

I think I need one of those - can't wait to see hubby's reaction when I mention it. :l0 (60):

thermocouple
06-30-2010, 03:40 PM
Thats friggin awesome. Im jealous.

LEVE
06-30-2010, 03:59 PM
In some communities....an above ground tank like described above would be HIGHLY illegal. Before you do something like this... consult your local laws or prepare to pay the consequences...

archer
06-30-2010, 09:34 PM
I don't know how long you or he is planning on storing the gas, but if it is going to be more than 6 -12 months, then you need to start looking for stabilizers and restorers. The best on the market that I have seen is called SeaFoam. It comes in red and white cans and is found in auto parts houses and wal mart(at least here in GA.).

prairiemom
07-01-2010, 09:58 AM
Oh yeah, we've been storing gas in large quantities for several years now. Dh has a rotation system where we store it for a year, then use it up and replace it as we use it. That used to mean several trips to the gas station with 5 gal cans, but now it'll mean just one phone call. Yeah! Dh uses Stabl. In fact, he just read Stabl can extend the life of the stored gas to 2 yrs if you double the amount of Stabl you put in. So now dh is trying to decide if we want to store for 2 yrs at a time (in which time gas could go crazy expensive or supplies limited) or stay with our one year cycle.

Yeah, I don't usually get too excited about his buys at farm auctions, but I think this was a good one.

archer
07-02-2010, 01:14 AM
oh yeah it was a good buy at the auction. People would be surprised to find out that much that is sold that is not a tractor goes for very reasonable prices

DMGNUT
07-05-2010, 06:01 PM
Outstanding in so many ways.
I wish I lived in a rural area so this was an option for my family too.
Way cool!

WolfBrother
07-06-2010, 12:44 PM
Oh yeah, we've been storing gas in large quantities for several years now. Dh has a rotation system where we store it for a year, then use it up and replace it as we use it. That used to mean several trips to the gas station with 5 gal cans, but now it'll mean just one phone call. Yeah! Dh uses Stabl. In fact, he just read Stabl can extend the life of the stored gas to 2 yrs if you double the amount of Stabl you put in. So now dh is trying to decide if we want to store for 2 yrs at a time (in which time gas could go crazy expensive or supplies limited) or stay with our one year cycle.

Yeah, I don't usually get too excited about his buys at farm auctions, but I think this was a good one.

Investigate also Pri-G.
http://www.priproducts.com/consumer_products.cfm
(http://www.priproducts.com/consumer_products.cfm)
Long story short, I've seen it "rejuvenate 8 year old gasoline".
Seriously, the 5 Gallon GI gas can had sat 8 years in a shed in W Texas. Temps ranged from 100+ to below freezing.
I was helping a buddy when we found the can, he remembered when his FILaw put it there. It sat for 8 years.

We put Pri-G in it (at the long term storage amount) and it worked in his 20+ HP riding mower/lawn tractor.

It works.

Seeker
07-06-2010, 01:14 PM
We too use the PRT product, just the diesel version. We watch for people who are needing to get rid of their fuel oil because they just replaced their old furnace that died with a new natural gas unit and need to get rid of the left over fuel oil. As we pump it to our transfer tank on their site, we filter it and add the PRI product. It is a wonderful product and we have had great luck with it.

Great find on the tank. We keep watching for a good deal on decent tank. New, they are expensive!!

Seeker

thermocouple
07-06-2010, 01:43 PM
I used Pri-D in my kero stores. Good stuff.