PDA

View Full Version : If the power goes out...

signseeker
07-01-2010, 09:04 PM
I'm going to make a list to put on the fridge for the kiddo's to follow if the power goes out while we're gone for some reason. Then we'll go over it in an FHE.

I'm thinking something like:
1. Get water bottles out of the fridge and tape fridge and freezer shut. (The kids, esp. the 3 and 5 yo's like to sip water all day long and have water bottles in the door.)
2. Call us to let us know.
3. Call Grandma and see if her power's off.
4. Call -x- (people further away... uncles, etc. to gauge how big the outage is)
5. ?
6. ?

Any ideas?

If, heaven forbid, there was an EMP I'd like to have an idea within the first hour if possible. Most people wouldn't be too concerned in the first hour, just waiting for it to come back on, while those who are ready can make a last-minute run for something they might need... beat the crowds...

Anyhoo- do you have a checklist anyone?

ktcottle
07-01-2010, 09:13 PM
I like your thoughts!!!

signseeker
07-01-2010, 09:25 PM
I like your thoughts!!!

Yikes. Let's not make blanket statements like that, okay? :d0 (22):

Noahs ARK
07-01-2010, 09:36 PM
If, heaven forbid, there was an EMP I'd like to have an idea within the first hour if possible. Most people wouldn't be too concerned in the first hour, just waiting for it to come back on, while those who are ready can make a last-minute run for something they might need... beat the crowds...

I'm glad you started a thread about this - it's one of the things I've been thinking about lately.

I'm not prepared at all for an EMP. Wouldn't even know where to start.

:001_07:

LoudmouthMormon
07-02-2010, 07:13 AM
Depending on where you live and how your house is built, keeping it warm or cool enough to live inside it could be a big consideration if the power stays out for a day or two.

Also, it's increasingly rare to find land-line based phones that work when the power's off. Cell phones fix that problem, but again, only with the charge remaining in them.
LM

signseeker
07-02-2010, 08:40 AM
So... call around to family and let them know x, y and z's power is all out... so this might be more than a couple hours? If the cell phone dies we won't be able to call you again?

Yes, if it's winter time... maybe start getting blankets, etc. out and ready...? I guess every home would be different for keeping the temperature bearable.

prairiemom
07-02-2010, 09:44 AM
Well, our power goes out so often here, it's like living in a third world country. :ack2: Honestly, I can't tell you how disgusted I am with our power company. :banghead: So we have this pretty much down to a science.

1-call the power company. Usually they'll tell us how wide spread it is and how long it will be out. If the line is busy for more than 5 min, it's pretty widespread. If it's just out for an hour or two, just pull out the UNO cards and camp lanterns and enjoy the adventure.

2-We have emergency night lights in several plug outlets--they can be turned on and off with a switch when the power is on, but come on automatically when the power is out. That way we're not groping around in the dark when the power first goes out.

3-if it's more than a few hours AND it's winter time (or the basement is flooding during spring thaw) we start the generator. Dh has the procedure for the generator taped to the main fuse box in the utility room.

4-if we're using the generator, turn off all unnecessary appliances--esp water heater. You don't want the water heater to fry when it starts up if there's no water in it. Unplug the computer, stereo, TV and any other high-tech electronics. Another good reason to be grateful we have an ancient 15yr old TV: it will run just fine on a generator. You can fry the digital TVs with the surges of a generator.

5-if it's more than a few days, then we'll triage the fridge and freezer, see what might need to be used right away or pulled out so the fridge isn't opened too often. If it's wintertime, no worries: the food can go outside.

6-in wintertime, hang a blanket over the doorway of unnecessary rooms. Start the woodburner. Bring in wood to the porch so that the snow can melt from it. Put a big pot (or two) of water on the stove so that you will always have hot water (and moisture in the air.)

7-food and water, don't worry about it. You already have plenty stored for emergencies, right?

8-DON'T let the boys play tag or wrestling. A nice game of Parchisi is about as exciting as you want it to get. One is sure to fall and get his lip split open and require stitches. Yes, with only a couple exceptions, every trip to the emergency room has been in the middle of a blizzard and/or a power outage. One has a nice scar for it because we couldn't get to town for a day, so he never got stitches. That's when I started storing the Steri-strips and a few suture kits. And it was 12 hours between the time I broke my leg and the time we finally got to the hospital. So if you think you won't be able to travel, store lots of good first aid.

Landlines that work in a power outage are very easy to find. They are the cheapest phones at KMart, $10 or less. And there are always a couple at thrift stores and rummage sales. All the foolish people are going to cordless.

caml
07-02-2010, 02:31 PM
When I first moved to the maritimes, I thought my mother-in-law was a little strange. We would go over to visit and her tub would be full of water sometimes. Her power goes out frequently because of old trees falling on power lines. After our first power outage I realized how smart she was. We have well water. No power = no water. So now if the weather looks like an outage is possible we fill the tub!

DMGNUT
07-05-2010, 07:16 PM
When I first moved to the maritimes, I thought my mother-in-law was a little strange. We would go over to visit and her tub would be full of water sometimes. Her power goes out frequently because of old trees falling on power lines. After our first power outage I realized how smart she was. We have well water. No power = no water. So now if the weather looks like an outage is possible we fill the tub!

How deep is your well? Will a hand pump pull the water up? A wind mill?
For extended power outages, you should have an alternative way of getting water out of your well... what if the power never comes back on?
I'm just saying... :wink5:

phylm
07-05-2010, 07:28 PM
I'm going to make a list to put on the fridge for the kiddo's to follow if the power goes out while we're gone for some reason. Then we'll go over it in an FHE.

I'm thinking something like:
1. Get water bottles out of the fridge and tape fridge and freezer shut. (The kids, esp. the 3 and 5 yo's like to sip water all day long and have water bottles in the door.)
2. Call us to let us know.
3. Call Grandma and see if her power's off.
4. Call -x- (people further away... uncles, etc. to gauge how big the outage is)
5. ?
6. ?

Any ideas?

Sign, do you realize that in an EMP attack nearly every modern auto will be just a lawn ornament? It'll fry computer chips all over North America. No travel, probably no phones, no TV, no nuthin. Prepare every needful thing, hon, and be prepared to walk home.

caml
07-05-2010, 07:30 PM
We have acess to a series of springs, a large pond and the river in a pinch. We have an old hand pump we need to get repaired and learn how to attach to the well.
The first winter we were here, the power went out in some areas for over a week due to an ice storm. We didn't have power for two or three days. We faired better than I thought we would have, but it was an eye opening experience.:thumbup:

signseeker
07-05-2010, 10:57 PM
Sign, do you realize that in an EMP attack nearly every modern auto will be just a lawn ornament? It'll fry computer chips all over North America. No travel, probably no phones, no TV, no nuthin. Prepare every needful thing, hon, and be prepared to walk home.

Oh, yeah. That's why I haven't left my house in over 3 weeks now.

Okay, just kidding. That's the beauty of it - you never know when it'll hit. :001_unsure:

prairiemom
07-06-2010, 10:56 AM

I knew there was a good reason all our cars are 25-30 yrs old. I mean other than the fact that we can't afford something new. :l0 (41):

caml
07-06-2010, 02:13 PM
Did anyone see the "red neck stonehenge" ? :l0 (43):