PDA

View Full Version : Pickled Asparagus...

Noahs ARK
07-03-2010, 11:03 PM
I finally found something that has inspired me to start canning again.

Pickled asparagus!! My Farmer's Market is selling it and I couldn't resist buying a jar.

Delicious, but expensive. As soon as the asparagus sales start, I'll be canning some!

DMGNUT
07-05-2010, 05:50 PM
Riding on your shirt tails in this thread... does anyone have a good recipe for hot pickled okra?

archer
07-06-2010, 06:56 PM
I finally found something that has inspired me to start canning again.

Pickled asparagus!! My Farmer's Market is selling it and I couldn't resist buying a jar.

Delicious, but expensive. As soon as the asparagus sales start, I'll be canning some!
I love that stuff, I first encountered it in Gulf Shores Alabama or rather outside GS at a farmers' market called Burris Market. We bought a couple jars of it and like you said it is expensive but oh my, how good it was. We emptied the first jar within a couple miles and managed to save the second jar til we were back home here in Ga. Then it was gone again. We since found at a couple different Farmers' Markets and to this end it has been great.

Noahs ARK
07-06-2010, 08:28 PM
Oh - I'm addicted to it. Today I took a flour tortilla - melted some hot pepper cheese in the middle, rolled it up part way, stuck 2 asparagus spears in & rolled it up the rest of the way.

If your Farmer's Market stops selling it, you can buy it here....http://www.troyerscountrymarket.com/search.aspx?find=asparagus Amish Wedding Foods.

This is where my Farmer's Market gets it, but the shipping prices are outrageous.

prairiemom
07-09-2010, 10:55 AM
That's why we planted an extra 40' row of asparagus--just so we can have pickled asparagus. It IS divine!

HopefortheBest
07-27-2010, 11:28 AM
Riding on your shirt tails in this thread... does anyone have a good recipe for hot pickled okra?

Gee...I've never heard of pickled okra. . .let alone HOT pickled okra. Sounds really, really yummy! I'd love to partake of some pickled veggies!!!

My mother in law pickles some mean half-sour pickles. They're truly out of this world and I wish I could share them through the internet. Of course, if you're in the Indianapolis area, I could probably point you to some places that make very similar pickles. Shapiro's in Indianapolis has pickles that taste just like my mother in law's recipe. Deeelish.

Now, Noah's Ark, how do you go about pickling your asparagus? I've never had pickled asparagus before!

Noahs ARK
07-27-2010, 02:05 PM
Now, Noah's Ark, how do you go about pickling your asparagus? I've never had pickled asparagus before!

Um...I kinda cheat. I buy it from the Farmer's Market. Just ordered a case of 12 - will add it to my food storage if I can keep myself from eating it all. :l0 (22):