PDA

View Full Version : yard camping

KF7EEC
09-04-2010, 10:13 PM
So, we're up at the in-laws in Emery County, UT. I decided to take the 4.5 and 2.5 yo DSs camping in the yard . This is the 1st time either of them have gone camping. An hour into it and 2.5 year old is still up and keepa getting into things, playing, etc.

So, I decided to get on Blackberry and ask you guys - how old do you think kids should be on 1st camp out?

Dr.Jride
09-04-2010, 11:02 PM
We started when they were babes. Hang in there, they get excited first time out!

ktcottle
09-04-2010, 11:49 PM
my kids are 5 and 4 - and have been on many camp outs for a few years now. The first time is a little rough, but everything begins to fall into place with practice. It's a great time to see the kids explore and play.

ghostcat
09-04-2010, 11:51 PM
All of mine were infants the first time.

KF7EEC
09-05-2010, 03:42 AM
Ok. Just wondered. Guess we're behind the curve. Well, they are both asleep. I forgot how hard the ground is and how helpless my work is with out me.

sarge712
09-05-2010, 05:19 AM
Mine were around two years old. I give the kids jobs even if it is bug patrol. They get into the groove eventually. My wee ones would've been up and into everything too but that would be true in the house or yard regardless.

4evermama
09-05-2010, 11:18 AM
All of my kids have camped since infancy. Little ones are charged with bug catching, chalk outlines and bubble blowing to determine wind direction.

ghostcat
09-05-2010, 12:59 PM
When my oldest was a toddler my mother made him a jumpsuit out of hunter orange to wear on camping trips. It made it easier for the adults to keep an eye on him.:l0 (51): It has since done service with both my and my sisters children on camping trips, sure helped with all the adults peace of mind. Now that he has a child of his own it looks like we will have to soon break it out again.

signseeker
09-07-2010, 10:41 AM
First off, if you're using a blackberry while camping, you need to put "camping" in quotes.

Same here with the kids... I think the youngest record was 9 days old for camping. I wouldn't do that again. I'd give them a couple months. The first time my oldest slept through the night was the night he turned 8 weeks old... we were at Bear Lake. And it was awesome.

hiccups
09-07-2010, 10:59 AM
I think the youngest record was 9 days old for camping.
Wow. I am amazed that you were okay to camp 9 days post partum -- not even taking into account the baby. I hide at home for like the first month.

signseeker
09-07-2010, 11:57 AM
This was my oldest. I've got a bit smarter since then. I guess.

thermocouple
09-07-2010, 01:54 PM
We have taken all of our kids camping as babies. Not absolute newborn, but age measured in months. All of our kids are very enthusiastic campers. As for yard camping, the best is when you know there is a good storm coming, set up a backyard camp and ride the night out. Fun for everyone, except Mrs Thermocouple, though she gets excited to have us all out of the house for a night even if its just the backyard.

KF7EEC
09-08-2010, 09:33 AM
First off, if you're using a blackberry while camping, you need to put "camping" in quotes.

I was only in my in-laws backyard... I was also on call (always :frusty:) and had to be available for whatever problems comeup at work.