PDA

View Full Version : Leaking cells

BackBlast
09-15-2010, 10:14 AM
I noticed this part of Julie's September preparedness suggestions

Check flashlights and radios to make sure batteries have not leaked and are still good.

First off, you should NOT LEAVE ALKALINE CELLS IN DEVICES FOR EXTENDED PERIODS. Alkaline is the primary culpret when it comes to leaking cells. Eneloop or other LSD cells are prefered.

So now let's assume that you've ignored this advice or were ignorant of this advice and you have a leaked cell right into an important device. What do you?

In good times, you have a pleasent recourse... Most battery manufactures will flat out replace goods damaged by their batteries. And you may get free batteries to go with it. Call them, try them. They're VERY GOOD about this in my experience.

Otherwise, you get to "fix" the situation. The fix probably depends on how extensive the leak is. If it's minor enough you might be able to just ignore it and use the device as you normally would. The real trick is how much of your battery contacts are covered by the nasty stuff. I've had good success with a simple file, and filing down and exposing fresh metal underneath the dried out hard-as-rock battery guts. It's simple and it works. It's a little tricky with spring contacts, but it still works with those too.

waif69
09-15-2010, 12:23 PM
This is a very good point. I recently had to do some scrubbing on a label maker that I don't use often but left the batteries in it.