Thread: Costco trip

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,790 Times in 938 Posts
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Costco trip

Just thought I'd mention that I picked up several more super pails of wheat and oats.
    Hard White Wheat, 45#... $16.99
    Quick Rolled Oats, 23#... $16.49
    A lot better than the prices I was seeing at Emergency Essentials or Honeyville.
    I wish they had beans and rice already in super pails.
    So long, and thanks for all the fish.

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads

Our closest Costco is in Nashville, which is 1-1/2 hours away. I'd love to get deals like that.

We just joined Sam's Club for bulk items and I plan on filling up my Pathfinder when we go.
    ~ Life is short. Eternity isn't ~

Sr. Contributor
    Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads

due to the shortages, I talked to my boss at work at we were able to find some wheat at a price that allows us to offer it at 14$ for a 50lb bag. we will start the sale on Wednesday. Maceys Pleasant Grove.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,790 Times in 938 Posts
    Downloads
    Uploads

That's a great deal Threepercent.
    The thing I really liked about the Costco stuff, was that it was already sealed in the super pails.
    I know some folks get their buckets free, and with minimal cleaning they're good-to-go.
    But if you have to buy them... most places; like Honeyville or where-ever, they cost anywhere from $11.99 to $14.99 each (that's pail and lid, but its even more if you want one of the fancy gamma lids).
    Anyway, once you add that to the price of the product and oxygen absorbers, the Costco price was way cool for me.
    I'm seriously thinking about picking up 2 more of each tomorrow.
    Here of late, I'm being prompted to "beef-up" my food, significantly... like I need way more food than I thought would be needed... maybe I'll be feeding a few more folks than I thought (once things start to go bad).
    So long, and thanks for all the fish.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,711 Times in 646 Posts
    Downloads
    Uploads

I've got 350 lbs. of wheat that needs to be bucketed. I just don't want to buy the buckets/lids/dry ice. I should just do it, the wheat was free!
    If you complain about how heavy your laptop is or you hate wearing a tie, remember some people put on body armour to go to work today.

The article is reproduced in accordance with Section 107 of title 17 of the Copyright Law of the United States relating to fair-use and is for the purposes of criticism, comment, news reporting, teaching, scholarship, and research.

If you feel something posted is in violation of the above I will happily remove it at your request.

Sr. Contributor
    Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads

the wheat is not really a good price, thats up 64% from this time last year, but it is better than current wheat prices, that are up 79%.

Any scratch bakery, (including in stores) will produce food grade buckets every day. most will prob be 4 gal buckets, but some will be 5. they will also have resealable lids. most go through so many of these that they will give them to you free. you only need gamma lids for the buckets you get into and out of constantly. so get say 5 BLACK buckets and gamma lids and TRANSFER your product to those when you use them. no need to spend money on gamma lids for storage.

for storage: place a small (large marble) chuck on dry ice in bottom of bucket, place the product (wheat, rice, beans, whatever) in and SET the lid on top, do not seal or it will blow the top off violently. wait till the dry ice has sublimed and then seal. watch the lid, if it starts to bulge, burp it. do this till it does not bulge anymore.

this is call gas flushing and is one of the best and cheapest ways to extend storage life. you will replace all the oxygen in the bucket with CO2, this will prevent mold, bugs, growth. they will still sprout but not the ones that were against the piece of dry ice.

rice is currently at a good price at costco. rice will have to follow wheat and corn as it starts to absorb the shifted demand.

within the next few months is the time to get canned veggies. due to mexico's losses fresh produce is going through the roof (sat lettuce went from 89 cents a head to 2.18) so get canned tomatoes and stuff on sale. many of those prices were negotiated months ago, before the freeze and already paid for so you get that price. I know Maceys will have canned mater products at 50 cents and I will be getting a few more.

FWIW.