Thread: Crisco shelf life

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    In The Groove
    Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Crisco shelf life

I really need to store more of this but have no idea how long it would be good for. I have read that the plastic buckets will not last and it is no longer available in the metal cans so about all I am left with is the 3 packs in metal foil packages. The ones that I have show a use by date of about 1 year but I think the actual time is much more. They do say to use it within 6 months after opening so the use by date sounds bogus. I have done some Google search and it appears that 2 years from manufacture is the accepted time. There are several that say for longer than that up to and including forever. I will try 3 years (in about 2 years and see what I have. The Crisco web site was written by lawyers.
    Last edited by faif2d; 04-22-2011 at 09:10 AM.

Wheels Are Churnin' WolfBrother's Avatar
    Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads

I think that Crisco goes to an off smell/taste sooner that I remember it doing about 30 years ago.

The use by date for what you have is only if the entire packaging is undamaged or unopened. Once the pack is open, then each stick is exposed to the air and will go to the off smell/taste due to oxidation.
    WolfBrother,
    A Sheep Dog lives to protect the flock and confront the Wolf.

I am a Sheep Dog.

The article is reproduced in accordance with Section 107 of title 17 of the Copyright Law of the United States relating to fair-use and is for the purposes of criticism, comment, news reporting, teaching, scholarship, and research.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,345 Times in 584 Posts
    Downloads
    Uploads

The sell by date is more of a marketing date. It frequently doesn't have much to do with when the food actually goes bad. It merely indicates when the company would like you to throw away the old stuff and buy more.
    That said, my mother used to be on a prep list that has since died away. One of those people wrote to a shortening company (might have been Crisco, but I don't know) asking about if shortening went bad. A representitive wrote back saying that the shortening does not support life. They meant microbial life, mold, etc. But the point is that nothing bad will grow in the shortening. The taste may go off, but it takes a very long time to go bad.
    Alpacas are cool! Check out my alpaca blog at http://whitedovesworld.info/whitedoves-world.html

The article is reproduced in accordance with Section 107 of title 17 of the Copyright Law of the United States relating to fair-use and is for the purposes of criticism, comment, news reporting, teaching, scholarship, and research.

Zombie Defense Coordinator AKA Zombie Czar waif69's Avatar
    Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads

30 years!?!? Wow! That is great.
    As for me and my family, we choose liberty.

Sr. Contributor
    Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads

Have stored it for years. It seems to keep indefinitely if it is kept fairly cool. l prefer to cook with vegetable oil for most things, but rancidity isn't a problem with the solid fat.

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads

My Crisco in the cans (except they're made out of cardboard or something now) have lasted for years. I know I've used it when it was at least 5 years past the "sell by" or "best if used by" dates.

Once opened, I put in the frig.
    ~ Life is short. Eternity isn't ~