Thread: Peaches, peaches, peaches!!

Sr. Contributor
    Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Peaches, peaches, peaches!!

Our Home Teacher and his wife have been developing a sustainable mini-farm for the past few years, which includes a fairly sizable peach grove. It bore very heavily this year, and Char has been canning like mad--more than 100 quarts of sliced peaches, plus gallons of peach juice. They advertised peaches for sale for 50 cents a pound, so we bought a couple of bushels and canned them, plus they gave us a couple of bushels that were getting rather ripe. We canned them, too, over 100 pints, so far.

Yesterday, she called me to ask if I cold-packed them for canning. I said "Yes. I made a light syrup to put in them, but they were so juicy that I couldn't get more than a tablespoon or two in each jar." Apparently she had been pre-cooking them. A lot more work and time.

I thought that they were all done with peaches, as they had temple service, plus two other trips out of town this week, she said she wanted to do up a last batch before they left for Orlando. She told me that they weren't going to pick any more, and we were welcome to as many as we wanted to pick...that they were the Saturn peaches, which they don't like, but we could pick all we wanted.

So-oo, we went down and picked more than 6 bushels this morning, including a part bushel of canning peaches. Got 2 cannersful of juice done, put the other 4 bushels out in our cold storage, and will can both sliced and juice Monday. God bless good friends! Gave them some of our thornless blackberry plants, and will start some slips from our Concord, Red Flame, and New Himrod (the raisin grape) grapes. They have a lot of wild elderberry plants on their place, but haven't decided whether we'll dig some of them up, or order cultivated ones.

Sr. Contributor
    Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads

WOW!

With friends like that, you KNOW that much good remains in the world. No doubt they will love the blackberries.

Crops in this region are all about 2-3 weeks late from the heavy rains we've had.
    Asparagus is ready. So at least there is something to munch while we anxiouly wait for the season to kick in.

And praise the Lord for Alabama--we just got some of the best Watermelons EVER! We've eaten 4 already--just this week.

Sr. Contributor
    Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads

Oh man--I am soooooooo envious! Lucky, lucky you. Peaches don't grow here at all, so if I can get any, they were picked green and have little flavor and are way too tart. You are so blessed.

I would be drying a lot--diced for granola, oatmeal and muffins and fruit leather for the kids.

Guardian of the Holy Grail signseeker's Avatar
    Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads

We bottle peach halves... as many quarts as we can get. I love them straight out of the jar. DH said the pear tree is "loaded"... we love canned pears, too, although they are waaay more labor intensive.
    Life's tough but it's tougher if you're stupid.

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads

My 3 peach trees are loaded this year. Can't wait to get my hands on them.

This year all my fruit trees, blueberries & grapes have flourished - it's their 6th year, so they're finally mass producing.

LOVE canned peaches & pears.
    ~ Life is short. Eternity isn't ~