I'm leaning towards the 72 hour kits for college students, and the 3 month supply for single working young adults, and car kits for everyone.

College students are MOBILE. Most move frequently, sometimes every semester or two, during the summer, etc. Fill up the belongings into the car and off to the new digs. Accumulating a 3 month supply of food and supplies under these circumstances would take too long and too much time/money in their busy lifestyles, and then it's often time to move again anyway, and where/how to they fit it into the dorm room, car, plane, etc. Over and over again, for some. Marrieds would be a different story.

It is my understanding (someone correct me if I am inaccurate here) that BYU has supplies for the student body for about two weeks, expecting the student body to disperse in case of an emergency. These kids will take off, if possible (that's the kicker), heading home, or to relatives, friends, etc.

Seems that a suitcase with wheels, or a backpack, etc. that fits their more transient lifestyle would be something more quickly prepared--and that they would be more likely to do in the first place. And have space for.

I know one student, however, who keeps a few weeks worth of food and other supplies in his car, since he travels quite a bit, particularly summers. He often eats (and sometimes "lives") in his car from what he has stashed, and picks up more next time he's at the store--great rotation!