This year I got permission to redo the garden area in our backyard. It was kind of "artistic" but not functional and it was a swamp in the winter. So I happened to learn all that I needed to accomplish this at the right time. In addition to terraforming (to get rid of the swamp) combined several method and structural elements together. Here I am at July and I thought I would post some of my results.

This first post has pictures from May (sorry no before pictures of the swamp or weed jungle). Just to summarize in order to get it this far we dug out the sinking earth medium (a rich composted soil that kept decomposing and sinking. Then we added fill sand to brink it back up to grade with the bordering sidewalk. On that we placed new 4'x8' garden boxes (better drainage in Oregon with cardboard underneath to block any initial weed growth. The boxes are in aisles with durable landscape fabric on the sand to keep the weeds down. From the initial setup I transplanted raspberries and lavender. The metal hoops over the back boxes are made with a EMT conduit bender.

Anyway I hope these pics give folks ideas and inspiration.

Ligure