Hubby wants to get fall garden planting going this week, so I called in an order to Pinetree Seeds to fill out what he needs, and ordered quite a list of seeds that I want to add to ones I have in the freezer. All that is left in the spring garden is swiss chard, three 80 foot peanut rows, and the tomatoes and pepper plants on the fence line. I can't believe that he has planted more potatoes! He says, "Well, we can always take them down to church." Yup. And a lot of other produce.

Still have to order nut trees, muscadine grapes, and strawberries, and go up to a local nursery to get some more fruit trees and blueberry bushes. We're pleased with the fruit trees that we put in this year...the peaches and apples are 7 feet high. Have 2 Ginkho Biloba trees and mulberries started. We're trying to make sure that any shrubs we plant are useful, not just attractive.

Picked a couple of gallons of fox grapes tonight that we found growing wild on our place. They are amazingly sweet, so we'll pick a lot more for jelly and juice.

Love the idea that we can have root vegetables, greens and brassicas all winter here.