Thread: Vacuum grain storage

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    In The Groove
    Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Vacuum grain storage

I have some 1/2 gal Ball jars and want to use them to store some grain, powdered milk, beans and other foods. My question is does anyone have an idea how much oxygen would be left after using a food saver jar adapter to pull a vacuum? I have already sealed some powdered milk and that worked just fine but I have read that you need to get the oxygen level to below 1% for over 1 week to kill off the critters. I have no idea what remains in the jar after the vacuum shuts off. Any input from anyone?

Sr. Contributor
    Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads

Have never heard any info on it, but if the jars seal, nothing is going to live in there.

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads

I don't know, but I do know that brown rice goes rancid quickly, yet a lady I know had several bottles sealed in jars with a vacuum sealer. She told us in Relief Society that she had opened one, and the rice is still good (not just edible). She said she originally sealed the rice about twenty years ago.
    Pray unto the Father with all the energy of heart, that ye may be filled with this love, which he hath bestowed upon all who are true followers of his Son, Jesus Christ;
    Moroni 7:48

In The Groove
    Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks for the info. I guess I can go ahead and fill some more jars. They do not store the material as cheaply as Mylar bags in buckets but with just 2 of us a 5 gal bucket would last for a long time.

Sr. Contributor
    Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads

A 5gal bucket holds about 40-45 lbs. If you are eating a 1-lb loaf of bread a day (like in an emergency situation), that will last you about 6 wks.

In The Groove
    Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads

I opened a jar of pasta today and the lid was really on there! I thought I might have to get a lid lifter of some kind but then the vacuum broke and the lid came off. I was really surprised at how strong the vacuum was.

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default vacuum sealer

I heard someone use the vacuum sealer on brown rice that 13 years later was the same as fresh. It goes bad quickly after opening however, so use it up as fast as you can. The same goes for raw almonds, chocolate, etc. Seems to last forever in a vacuum sealed jar, stored in a dark cool place, and then quickly used. Hope this helps. I love my vacuum sealer! Found it on ebay for a great price, and then found the adapters to seal the jars on amazon.com.