I mail-ordered two kiwi plants, a male and a female, a few weeks ago. I set them in my east kitchen window, and the female shriveled up and died. I kept on watering the male, figuring to re-order a female, but just kept on watering the dead female, too.

Three weeks ago, I noticed that there were seedlings poking up in the female pot. I eagerly watched them, comparing their leaves with the male, and trying to convince myself that they were indeed kiwi seedlings. My husband thought I was crazy, (He may be right!) but soon some of the leaves began to show pink coloring!

Today we potted the females into larger pots, and moved them all out to the greenhouse. I discovered that the "seedlings" were sprouts coming off the original female root. We're supposed to get a freeze tonight. Had our first frost last night. Second time we've had to run the furnace. The temps will be in the 80s in a couple of days. Works the same way in the spring, too.

However, we enjoyed fresh sweet corn today, canned 28 pints of persimmon, and hubby has turned the overhead irrigation on to help out the corn, swiss chard, marigolds, and zinnias, as well as the broccoli, cauliflower, and a few others overnight.