I have found my family loves soup during the winter. Also people "in the old days" used to live off of a pot of soup they keep going by adding a little here and there along with some bread they made.

I found this easy soup recipe my family really liked. It is supposed to be a copy of Chili's recipe. It uses a lot of canned items and would be great in an emergency. You could add a meat to it if you liked. I think replacing the corn tortillas with 1/2 cup rice would be good too. I used canned corn and green beans - turned out great!

Do you have any good soup recipes/ideas to share?

6 C. chicken broth (Swanson is best)
1 or 2 - 14 1/2 oz. can diced tomatoes, with juice
1 C. water
1 C. canned dark red kidney beans, with liquid
1 C. frozen yellow cut corn
1 C. frozen cut green beans
1 4 oz. can diced green chilies
1/2 C. diced Spanish onion
8 oz can tomato sauce
6 corn tortillas, minced
1 1/2 tsp. chili powder
Dash garlic powder

Garnish:
1 C. grated cheddar/jack cheese blend
1 C. crumbled corn tortilla chips

Directions

Combine all the soup ingredients in a large saucepan or soup pot over high heat. Be sure to mince the corn tortillas into small pieces with a sharp knife before adding them to the soup. Bring soup to a boil, then reduce the heat and simmer for 45 minutes to 1 hour, or until the soup has thickened and tortilla pieces have mostly dissolved. To serve soup, ladle 1 1/2 C. into a bowl. Sprinkle a heaping Tbs. of the grated cheddar/jack cheese blend over the top of the soup, and then a heaping Tbs. of crumbled corn tortilla chips over the cheese.

Yield: 6 servings