We got the 2x2s at a building materials liquidator store for 60 cents apiece, and the oak flooring was scrap on hand. The screen was from Lowe's. Altogether, less than $40.00.

I showed my husband a picture of a hanging solar dehydrator in the Lehman's catalog to explain what I wanted. It is a 5 shelf, 1 foot square affair, and costs more than $40.00. He got out his tools and took it from there. He's an ingenious treasure. I'm really glad he got carried away!

Incidentally, we found a place where we can get "mushroom dirt." That is the compost left when mushroom growers have raised a crop in it. We have gone after two 3 yard loads of it this year, (30 dollars a yard) and my husband rototilled in a heavy coat of it on the garden before planting this year. He later mulched heavily with horse manure, which is mostly sawdust. He says that the plants are reaching high just to get above the smell, and to get a breath of fresh air! (The mushroom dirt doesn't smell, now that it is incorporated into the soil, but it is very oppressive while it is being loaded onto our truck! It certainly has made a difference in the way our crops are growing in this Florida sand, compared to our first garden in it last year. phylm