The balance has finally been tipped here in Iowa and they are using the dreaded 'd' word. Our county is asking us to conserve water as the processing plant is working overtime due to high usage from people watering their yards and gardens. In the beginning of the article they referred to the activities they want us to avoid as "watering flowers and filling up swimming pools", but later in the same article they said "watering gardens".

I have been watering my vegetable garden quite regularly and my plants are doing well. But, when I go any length of time without watering them, they start to droop, and I know they will die in a matter of time. Right now, we are not being required to conserve, only requested. Of course, if the request isn't honored enough, and as the drought continues, it will become mandatory, I'm sure. So, what is the best way to save my garden in these conditions? Is it possible to take measures to help the plants to hold onto the water they do get? Will mulch help at this point? Is there something I can dig into the soil that will hold the moisture like whatever it is they add to potting soil?

I was saddened when I read the article because I have put so much time and effort into my garden this year, 3-4 hours most days, trying to keep the weeds down and pruning, etc. This is the first year I really took it seriously and it hurts to have to let it go.

The NWS thinks the drought will last until fall.